PDA

View Full Version : BioEthanol 5%-10%

oderdene
07-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi friends,

Who use ethanol in I6 HO? Today I saw gas station offering E10 (with 5-10% ethanol mixture with gasoline), It is cheaper than base gasoline (92 octane; regular?) and they said:
- more power
- more greener
so on.
What about power; consumption and emission?

Thomass
07-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Hi friends,

It is cheaper than base gasoline (92 octane; regular?) and they said:
- more power
- more greener
What about power; consumption and emission?

This is what i found about the fuel:

Ethanol can be used in petrol engines as a replacement for gasoline; it can be mixed with gasoline to any percentage. Most existing car petrol engines can run on blends of up to 15% bioethanol with petroleum/gasoline. Ethanol has a smaller energy density than gasoline, which means it takes more fuel (volume and mass) to produce the same amount of work. An advantage of ethanol (CH3CH2OH) is that it has a higher octane rating than ethanol-free gasoline available at roadside gas stations which allows an increase of an engine's compression ratio for increased thermal efficiency. In high altitude (thin air) locations, some states mandate a mix of gasoline and ethanol as a winter oxidizer to reduce atmospheric pollution emissions. (source wikipedia)
hope this will help you in your question.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 09:18 AM
We have mandatory ethanol in our gas. Bottom line is that if you have 10% you will see a reduction of gas milage by the same amount. Everybody here wishes we had just straight gas.

oderdene
07-18-2010, 11:59 PM
so, I'm lucky; having pure gasoline (but who knows it is pure?) :D
before I had LPG conversion, $ per 100 km is almost same, no power; no satisfaction at all. Then I removed LPG tank; reducer etc.