PDA

View Full Version : My 1998 NP242J Transfer Case is Sick.

Mudderoy
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Well apparently the transfer case didn't like all the attention the front end was getting so it decided to stop working.

Symptoms and Occurrences:

Out at the off road park. Running around in Full time 4 wheel drive.
:x: Transfer Case Shifter wouldn't move. It was stuck.
I finally got it to move but then couldn't get it into 2wd.
After I got home I adjusted the linkage and I was finally able to get into 2wd.

A few days went by and since it was raining I move the level from 2wd to Full Time 4wd.

At the next light upon acceleration I heard a noise that sounds to me like the chain in the transfer case not fully engaged. It wasn't a loud or violent noise like I had heard before when the drive chain was stretched. I let off the gas and accelerated more slowly, no noise.

I pulled back on the transfer case handle to make sure I had it in the proper position. I did. At the next light I accelerated, no noise. At the next light I accelerated full throttle, no noise. My assumption was that the linkage adjustment was not correct, that I had adjusted it too far.

Last night I adjusted the linkage and this morning on the way to the off road park I tested the full time 4wd. Same noise. I couldn't make it go away. Noise in anything that has to do with 4wd. Seems to be worse in Part Time 4wd low.

No binding when in Part Time 4wd when making sharp "S" turns. Just that popping noise that I would hear during acceleration.

I read this...
The most common repair that I see on the 242 is the main shaft rear bearing snap ring likes to break letting the main shaft float in the Tcase, usually symptom of this, it will feel like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. You will be able to get 2wd but not 4 low or you will be able to get 4 low but not 2wd

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Might be time to take it apart Chris. Another thing that happens is the shift fork wears out and lets the slider be where it is not supposed to.

Mudderoy
07-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Might be time to take it apart Chris. Another thing that happens is the shift fork wears out and lets the slider be where it is not supposed to.

Well Fred you're certainly right about that. I've had it a part a couple of years ago to replace the chain. I was pretty happy that I guessed right, with help from the people at NAXJA that it was the chain, but this time I just don't know.

Sounds like I need a change. I don't understand why it stretched again though and this concerns me.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Sorry about the name Tony, Late night last night on the road. Went up to OR for a kite festival. But anyway, if the shift yoke and slider are worn, the slider will let loose under acceleration. There are a couple of plastic parts that can be replaced that may fix it.

Mudderoy
07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry about the name Tony, Late night last night on the road. Went up to OR for a kite festival. But anyway, if the shift yoke and slider are worn, the slider will let loose under acceleration. There are a couple of plastic parts that can be replaced that may fix it.

lol no problem. I normally get parts via online, so I'm trying to think of a way to get the parts before taking it a part. Sometimes we can't have everything we want though.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Those little plastic parts for the slider will be a no brainer. Almost everyone that takes one apart replaces these.

Mudderoy
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Those little plastic parts for the slider will be a no brainer. Almost everyone that takes one apart replaces these.

Well I didn't, and I don't recall anyone recommending it to me.

So looking at pictures, I'm trying to imagin how the thing works. It doesn't look like the 4x4 gears and chain actually move forward and backwards, so there must me a gear that is moved into and out of the planetary gear? If this is right (somewhat) I think this is more like the feeling and sound I am hearing. Not a big heavy chain jumping teeth but something smaller in there not catching.

I hate plastic!

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 10:31 AM
The chain does not move. There are two sliders, like the ones on a syncro in a manual tranny. One is at the rear of the planetary and one in front of the chain IIRO

Mudderoy
07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
The chain does not move. There are two sliders, like the ones on a syncro in a manual tranny. One is at the rear of the planetary and one in front of the chain IIRO

Well this is a really good clue then, because I was actually able to get it into 4x4 the other day by pulling back on the shifter more.

I've been thinking of ways around it, but it just looks like I have to break it open, find the problem, the either get the parts locally, have the Jeep down until the parts are delivered, or put it back together and take it back a part when the parts come in.

Maybe I'll see what parts are available locally.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
If it was me, I would pull it down first. My thinking is that it is not the chain. I had a similar problem with an earlier version of your case and it was that shifter. Would slip under power. You also might want to consider replacing the fluid coupling just for GP while you have it apart. They will get stiff after awhile.

Mudderoy
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I hate to pull it a part and not have anything that I might be able to repair it with so I was thinking about getting a master rebuild kit...

:link: (http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/821)

Transfer Case Master Rebuild Kit
Our Master Rebuild Kits in general, include the following parts: All Gaskets (or R.T.V.), Seals, O-rings, Metal Clad Seals, All Ball & Taper Type Bearings, Needle Type Washers, Loose Needle Bearings, and other needed items to rebuild the transfer case (excluding any hard parts such as gears, shafts, etc.).

And a Morse chain...

:link: (http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/820)

Transfer Case Chain
All of our transfer case chains are made by Morse TEC which is part of the worldwide BorgWarner organization.

Morse Chains are of the highest quality in the industry. Here are some examples why,
- Suited for wide range of center distances, depending on application
- Greater CD tolerance
- Reduced radial & axial load
- Low noise

I figure worse case I'll have a spare chain, or sell my old one.

msmoorenburg
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Well I hate to pull it a part and not have anything that I might be able to repair it with so I was thinking about getting a master rebuild kit...

And a Morse chain...

if you part with your old one I need one

XJ4IV
07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

And a Morse chain...

Ill buy the used one tony...

Mudderoy
07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Leaving work today I rolled the windows down while in the parking garage so I could listen for other than normal sounds. I heard one. Coasting I can hear something that sounds like a small-ish bearing vibrating. It gets worse the faster I go. Well only after I take my foot off the skinny petal.

So I'm going to go drain the fluid from the transfer case and see what it looks like. Then I'm going to remove the front drive shaft. After re-filling the NP242 with fluid I'll take it on a test drive to see if the sound has gone away. If not then it may be parked until I can find and fix the problem. I really don't think it's the chain, the sound just wasn't big enough for a chain, but I don't want to risk rubbing a hole in the case.

Scott, XJ4IV, is supposed to be picking up the insides of a NP242 from Matt, Msmoore(...) tomorrow.

I gave Mark, Payless 4x a call and ordered a master rebuild kit. Don't make the mistake I made and assume they only have a few items available. Their website doesn't do justice to what all they carry. If I get lucky when I crack open the case this weekend between the NP242 innards from XJ4IV/Matt and the master rebuild kit I'll be able to get her fixed back up. Otherwise I may be ordering some more parts.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Hope you get her goin Tony. It is no good having a sick Jeep.:headshake:

Mudderoy
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I drained the fluid, nothing of note, except there was something large and metalic in front of the drain hole!

I had to take it a part to see exactly what the carnage was...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TEZGET7yCCI/AAAAAAAAAVw/J1QYvk3Ta1U/s800/2010-07-20%2019.57.01.jpg
If you guessed that thing I was seeing is the magnet you are right! lol

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TEZgLt35d5I/AAAAAAAAAV0/Wt9n__vZ94s/s800/2010-07-20%2021.15.27.jpg
Saggy chain, need a new one! xj4iv I'll sell you this one cheap!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TEZgRFTp8gI/AAAAAAAAAV4/9lKmb62YA4I/s800/2010-07-20%2021.15.44.jpg

I called rguinard "Rene" to ask if I could remove the chain and drive it until I get the parts, he said yes, so that's what I'm about to do.

Put it back together, RTV the case, fill her up with fluid and drive it until the parts get here. With any luck Friday. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
07-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Ok the case is buttoned back up.
Items to order...

1) Master rebuild kit.
2) Fluid (Oil?) pump
3) Filter
4) Chain

Mudderoy
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSbTeKaZnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3In1ENzRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXg1ZKNXRI

4.3LXJ
07-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Muddy

That fork is worn. The slider will be also. Make sure when you put the plastic friction pads on that they fit correctly. My opinion is that this is what caused it to jump out of gear or miss a tooth under hard acceleration. As I said, I had the same issue with a previous model tcase on my 85 XJ. The wear allows the collar to move just enough that it almost disengages and then with the extra power it does. Most annoying. Also look at your sprockets closely. Enough wear will cause problems with your new chain.

Mudderoy
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Well I got everything ordered from

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/payless4wheeldrivelogo1-animated3.gif

I had no idea they had so many parts. This is great as I was going to to the hunt and search on the Internet method to find all the parts I needed. I just called Mark and he set me up with everything I needed.

And I did pay less! Much less.

Thanks Mark!

xj4life2
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the opportunity to serve you. Let me know how it all turn s out !!

Mudderoy
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the opportunity to serve you. Let me know how it all turn s out !!

Damn dude! I thought you and a team were bringing the parts AND installing them! ROAD TRIP! :patriot:

msmoorenburg
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Damn dude! I thought you and a team were bringing the parts AND installing them! ROAD TRIP! :patriot:

he can swing by my place 2 :shocker:

4.3LXJ
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Any road trips must be accompanied by several off road outings:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Perhaps a master rebuild kit and new fluid pump will solve this but I am concerned none the less.

About 5 years ago I was heading home from Dallas. I drove in Full time 4x4 all the time, because the manual said there was no difference in gas mileage. I knew everything was turning anyway so it was easier to leave it in full time than to make my wife feel comfortable about putting it in full time when she drove it and it was raining.

I've never been shy to speed, so while coming down I45 I did a short run, maybe a couple of miles, at 100+ mph. No big deal and typical driving for me even around town on Beltway 8. Usually less than 100, say 95, again short duration.

After I got home, some 2 or 3 hours later, I noticed oil covering the back hatch. Lots of oil. I remembered that I45 had a section that was very oily, you know like fresh asphalt? So I figured that was where I got all this stuff, that and the shape of the Jeep pulling that stuff up because of the air flow.

Some months later I notice a ticking, or light knocking sound when I would come to a near stop, and especially when turning. Later I noticed a rattling sound. I finally figured out how to stop it, take the transfer case out of full time 4x4.

Some time later I decided to put the Jeep in full time and I had a horrible sound and violent result. Later I found out the chain has stretched. Replacing the chain, the pump pickup was all I did to solve the problem.

Now after x number of years I have another stretched chain. I am concerned that this is going to continue. Where as it is getting easier for me to break open the NP242 and replace stuff, I would really prefer to get another 100k miles out of my transfer case, and from what I have read these things are near bullet proof. So it begs the question, what am I missing to repair?

I did notice that the fluid that I drained from the transfer case Tuesday night was very dark, and I don't think it was anywhere near 2.2 quarts. Maybe a quart. I also noticed that the brand new (when I replaced it) rear seal had a nice torn piece out of it and the metal ring had come out of it. So much of the seal is there, but the integrity of the seal wasn't 100%

I have not noticed any great amounts of oil on the back hatch, but I have seen some.

Is it possible that just larger tires, 4.56 gears, and a slow leak has caused this most recent situation?

I was also thinking that worn bearings may be allowing the shaft to wobble. Especially under high torque conditions (like when I drive it :smiley-laughing021:) leading to the seal being torn and a small leak to occur.

This repeated repair reminds me of the first car I had. It was a standard and due to my heavy foot, clutch dumping and enjoyment of squealing tires, I replaced the clutch disk some 12 times, yes 12. Rear u-joint at least 6 times. No Internet back then, so just word of mouth and books. lol yeah like I was going to read a book. Finally someone, at a parts store I think, asked me if I wanted to buy a pressure plate, or have my flywheel resurfaced. I'm like "Why?" Then it was explained to me. It made perfect sense but not having the experience it never just came to me. So now I know you need to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing and at least get rid of the shine on the flywheel! DUH!

I know 4.3LXJ has already pointed out a couple of things, and I'm not trying to be hard headed but not only do I hate repairing things over and over but I hate spending a lot of money replacing things that don't need to be replaced. I can see that the drive gears and forks are very important however I don't know how important it is to the logevity of the operation of the transfer case to replace the drive gears.

I guess what I would like to hear is I've rebuilt several NP242 transfer cases and it lasted 50k miles, and this is what I did.

xj4life2
07-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Ya know I never thought of that .... That would be fun, a road trip and a wrench party at the same time !!! And Disneyland is on the way too !! Hey Steve ya busy for a couple days ??? :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Ya know I never thought of that .... That would be fun, a road trip and a wrench party at the same time !!! And Disneyland is on the way too !! Hey Steve ya busy for a couple days ??? :smiley-laughing021:

I'm game. Tony is paying the bills right? :D

xj4life2
07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
he did invite us so I would say yes

4.3LXJ
07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
OK, forget Cohasett, I think we need to investigate a few Texas off road parks. :D

Mudderoy
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
The Brown Santa!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/paylesspartsups1.jpg

Mudderoy
07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I found out, Thursday I guess, that we had a prior commitment for Saturday. So no working on the transfer case. Now it's Sunday and time to bust and move.

I'm just back from O'Reilys auto parts. I picked up some transmission fluid (3 quarts) and a bearing puller. I also remembered to get something to put the bearing in! Looks like new, so I guess most people use the spare socket and hammer method. I figured I might as well get the proper tool to do it.

Now I'm going to look at an exploded view to see if I can figure out how to remove the range forks. I believe they will have to come out before I can get to all the bearings. Also I'm a little concerned about the front yoke. My 1/2 impact doesn't have enough "umph!" get get that nut off I don't think so I will be arm strong doing it I'm sure.

Mudderoy
07-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I didn't get going until about 4pm today. My intent was to change out everything, bearnings seals, but I quickly found out to accomplish that I would have to remove the transfer case completely. I don't have the stuff necessary to support the transmission, plus I really didn't want to invest another couple of hours getting it out, so I just replaced the pump, filter, chain, and rear seal. Oh and the bearings in the nose cone.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the fluid level. That chain is tight so I don't think it's gear wear that's causing the chain to heat and stretch.

Oh I put the pad on the range shift fork, there weren't any on there!

4.3LXJ
07-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I didn't get going until about 4pm today. My intent was to change out everything, bearnings seals, but I quickly found out to accomplish that I would have to remove the transfer case completely. I don't have the stuff necessary to support the transmission, plus I really didn't want to invest another couple of hours getting it out, so I just replaced the pump, filter, chain, and rear seal. Oh and the bearings in the nose cone.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the fluid level. That chain is tight so I don't think it's gear wear that's causing the chain to heat and stretch.

Oh I put the pad on the range shift fork, there weren't any on there!

If I could make a suggestion, Red Line Synthetic is almost phenomenal for preventing wear.

Mudderoy
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
If I could make a suggestion, Red Line Synthetic is almost phenomenal for preventing wear.

Sure. I'd love to run a synthetic. Hmmm I was checking into that and then I forget what happened, but I forgot about it. Perhaps I was having trouble finding a synthetic that was Dextron III equivalent.

4.3LXJ
07-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Sure. I'd love to run a synthetic. Hmmm I was checking into that and then I forget what happened, but I forgot about it. Perhaps I was having trouble finding a synthetic that was Dextron III equivalent.

The back of my only remaining bottle says it is compatible with Dextron III. I use the high temp stuff in my GM tranny. part number 30204 on the bar code. I get mine at a tranny shop or it can be ordered from NAPA

Mudderoy
07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
The back of my only remaining bottle says it is compatible with Dextron III. I use the high temp stuff in my GM tranny. part number 30204 on the bar code. I get mine at a tranny shop or it can be ordered from NAPA

Thanks for this reminder! I'm a Royal Purple fan, so I checked their site for a synthetic. RP recommends 01512 Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid. I ordered two quarts. :thumbsup:

xj4life2
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
The Brown Santa!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/paylesspartsups1.jpg

Judgeing from the time stamp and the pic I take it it all got there on time and everything is working well ??

Mudderoy
07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Judgeing from the time stamp and the pic I take it it all got there on time and everything is working well ??

Yes sir. I was reminded of a commitment we had on Saturday so I didn't get to work on the transfer case until Sunday.

Mudderoy
07-26-2010, 07:36 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TE2VLa7YhuI/AAAAAAAAAWY/3cHGGk6IrFw/s640/2010-07-25%2018.34.25.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TE2VWS8Hn6I/AAAAAAAAAWc/d9WqqiZd-y4/s640/2010-07-25%2018.33.42.jpg

4.3LXJ
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Rubber band chain :D

XJ4IV
07-27-2010, 11:13 PM
it really sucks that we cant just remove a link to fix this...or put an adjustable tensioner in your case...

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
it really sucks that we cant just remove a link to fix this...or put an adjustable tensioner in your case...

While I was laying under the Jeep, transfer case broken a part. I thought of your prior comment about the tensioner. I could see exactly where it would go, and would even be pretty easy to get to and adjust. Problem is, I thought, the metal the tensioner would be relying on to push against all that changing torque, aluminum.

4.3LXJ
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
The thing to use is a tensioner like the ricer timing chain tensioners. But the problem is what happens to it when you hit reverse? I think it would fail.

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Could it be that I am not putting enough fluid in my transfer case?

I thought I read (I'll have to double check) that my NP242 transfer case should hold 2.2 quarts of Dexon III or Merc transmission fluid. After installing the chain I was only able to get less than 2 quarts of Dexon III fluid in before it started coming out of the top hole. I moved the fill tube I was using above the lip so it wouldn't act as a siphon to make sure it was really full.

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Speaking of transfer case fluid...

I ordered 2 quarts of Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid on Monday (July 26th) from Amazon and I received it on Tuesday via UPS (July 27th) It was free shipping!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NZoqTJiuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

4.3LXJ
07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Could it be that I am not putting enough fluid in my transfer case?

I thought I read (I'll have to double check) that my NP242 transfer case should hold 2.2 quarts of Dexon III or Merc transmission fluid. After installing the chain I was only able to get less than 2 quarts of Dexon III fluid in before it started coming out of the top hole. I moved the fill tube I was using above the lip so it wouldn't act as a siphon to make sure it was really full.

If it is coming out the fill hole, it is full.

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
If it is coming out the fill hole, it is full.

I'm exerting a lot of self control not to make a joke. Well actually I guess I failed. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Now, now .... :D

xj4life2
07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Stop it my side are hurting !!!!

Mudderoy
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Stop it my side are hurting !!!!

See you guys keep setting up the straight lines for me. :shocker:

onseytote
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
... if the shift yoke and slider are worn, the slider will let loose under acceleration. There are a couple of plastic parts that can be replaced that may fix it.

I can't find the shift yoke where is it located? Am I looking at the right place?:confused:

4.3LXJ
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I can't find the shift yoke where is it located? Am I looking at the right place?:confused:

It is the fork thingy and the slider ring thingy

Mudderoy
08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
The NP242 performed as expected at Creekside this past weekend. I emptied and filled the transfer case on Friday. I noticed after my 1+ hour drive from Katy to Creekside in Splendora, that I had the faint smell of transmission fluid. Looking under the Jeep I saw what looked like fluid that had exited the back of the transfer case. Not a lot but enough to coat the bottom of the Jeep and had a little smoke coming off of the muffler.

When I emptied it the day before I would estimate it was full. There was a LOT of fluid in the case, although I didn't measure it.

I believe this is the source of my issues with the transfer case. As time goes by the fluid level gets lower and lower and the heat goes up. I don't see any fluid on the case and I never see more than a drop on the ground. I believe the leak is from the rear seal.

Matt msmooreburg mentioned to check the yoke for a ridge, which I need to do.

Any other ideas?

4.3LXJ
08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
If that is the case, you should see a lot of oil that is slung off the yoke in the transmission tunnel right above it.

Mudderoy
08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
If that is the case, you should see a lot of oil that is slung off the yoke in the transmission tunnel right above it.

Not a lot and really to the sides. Could I be over filling it? I read it is supposed to be 1/4 inch from the fill hole.

Mudderoy
10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I still have a leak. I will replacing current parts with these today...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TKivKxivq_I/AAAAAAAAAck/M_zBx9Qww38/s800/2010-10-03%2011.27.14.jpg

From left to right;
NP242 rear seal (This time will be putting ATF(?) on it.)
Oil slinger (msmoorenburg found the old was was bent)
Speedo sensor seal. The OEM has a nick in it and when the nick is at the bottom i get an oil drip.

Strange leak on this one. It doesn't drip on the ground. I notice spray collect under the jeep and spots on the back hatch.