PDA

View Full Version : Adding a inch to my lift kit

Starry Jeep
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Okay so I have a 3" lift and I'm looking to get a extra inch some how. I have 3" in front and 2" in back. I really want 4" all around. Is there a home brew way to do it? I've heard there is.
Here's my link to my kit I have on. BTW I'm not car savvy so you might have to explain stuff to me. Pictures help!!:popcorn:

http://www.nexternal.com/fatbobs/images/fbg033.jpg

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-cherokee-xj-3-front-15-2-rear-w-performance-8000-series-shocks-1984-2001-p7511.aspx

Also, I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic

default83
07-16-2010, 06:43 AM
get rid of that lift and get a better one.:D

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

Mudderoy
07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

She may be poor like most of us. A 4.5" RC kit is going to be around $500 for AAL.

drakan1908
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
She may be poor like most of us. A 4.5" RC kit is going to be around $500 for AAL.

True,but with everything shes gonna need to go to 4 inches she would be better off saving some money and going with a good kit.

xj4life2
07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry didn't see the kit at first, for the front you would need new coils and the rear blocks or add a leaf. Base the front coils on the side of the current pucks you have to get the 4" you want

xj4life2
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with adding to a current kit and 90% of thime your putting on what would come in the newer larger kit anyway. As long as the method serves the purpose she's good. UCA's LCA's ECT ECT can be added at any time from any manuf. As long as its safe go for it !!She just can't go over 4" without doing some manditory mods.
PS I am a rough country dealer and love to sell them but if you don't need it......

Mudderoy
07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Get some one inch spacers for the front about $30.00 and a one inch block for the rear w/ ubolts about $75.00 and your done. You could also use longer shackles in the rear or an add a leaf. Be sure you check shock length to be sure there long enough. good luck
Mark

One inch spacer on top of the three inch spacer? What about the track bar, or at least a relocation bracket to make up for the 4" of lift. Don't the lower control arms need to be a little longer for 4" of lift? How about transfer case drop?

Block? On a XJ? I thought the leaf springs were too flexible for blocks.

xj4life2
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
One inch spacer on top of the three inch spacer? What about the track bar, or at least a relocation bracket to make up for the 4" of lift. Don't the lower control arms need to be a little longer for 4" of lift? How about transfer case drop?

Block? On a XJ? I thought the leaf springs were too flexible for blocks.

Sorry Muddy had to edit I didnt see the picture at first you are correct never stack spacers.Tc drop yes and you can get away with the LCA's you might just have to shim to get the pinion angle correct but I have had 4.5" on stock controll arms and as for the track bar yes as I stated in the DW post a new adjustable track bar is prefered , not crazy about drop brackets for them (more things to come loose and cause issues) but if thats all you can do its better than nothing. And no I have run a 1" on the XJ but I would not go any higher than that due to the reason you specified above again I prefer a add a leaf of a B pack but a 1" would be fine.

Mudderoy
07-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Sorry Muddy had to edit I didnt see the picture at first you are correct never stack spacers.Tc drop yes and you can get away with the LCA's you might just have to shim to get the pinion angle correct but I have had 4.5" on stock controll arms and as for the track bar yes as I stated in the DW post a new adjustable track bar is prefered , not crazy about drop brackets for them (more things to come loose and cause issues) but if thats all you can do its better than nothing. And no I have run a 1" on the XJ but I would not go any higher than that due to the reason you specified above again I prefer a add a leaf of a B pack but a 1" would be fine.

I think I know this stuff so when I see something that goes against what I think I know I like to ask. I might learn something! Thanks.

default83
07-19-2010, 07:34 AM
There is nothing wrong with adding to a current kit and 90% of thime your putting on what would come in the newer larger kit anyway. As long as the method serves the purpose she's good. UCA's LCA's ECT ECT can be added at any time from any manuf. As long as its safe go for it !!She just can't go over 4" without doing some manditory mods.
PS I am a rough country dealer and love to sell them but if you don't need it......

i understand not buying something you dont need, but with all the stuff she is going to need to lift one inch the right way, might as well replace it all w/the right stuff.

i mean im sure those shocks arent that great, and then extended another inch, even worse. and blocks arent that great of an idea either. granted she could probaly get another inch for 150-200 bucks, but she could sell her existing kit for 100-120 bucks and just pay the 450 for the good kit. just an idea, ive used those coil spacers before, and i will NEVER go back to them. thats why i always recomend doing it right.

btw being a rough country dealer, how is the TJ 6" long arm kit? the one for $1449. im really looking into getting one. i was just worried due to the price being so low compared to other kits.

DETOURS
07-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Unfortunitly, your current lift already 'cheats' your stock suspension......theres no additional booty fab. Time to buy the real deal, look for a decent used lift. (complete)

4.3LXJ
07-19-2010, 09:58 AM
My rule of thumb is to not go over three inches of lift with stock arms. Once you do that, you can run into castor problems and have lots of death wobble problems. 3" is as good as it gets with budget kits. Once you pass that magic number, you have to start shelling out the bucks for more hardware.