PDA

View Full Version : On board air. Bottle vs. Air Compressor

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I really like the idea of an on board air compressor. People that I trust and know more about off roading than I seem to use the bottles.

I don't like the idea of running out of gas (CO2?) in the bottle, but I guess the bottle is actually smaller than a good air compressor and tank.

What do you think?

I'm keeping the A/C on my daily driver so I'm not interested in converting my A/C to an air compressor, or adding a second A/C compressor for air. Although I think that is a great idea!

Does anyone make a good air compressor / tank system that isn't more than the price of a Jeep?

rockrash4x4
07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
i use a 20lb powertank co2 system, i will never go back to a compressor, it lasts forever(like 20+ 37" tires from 5psi to 35psi) and is portable. it also puts out plenty of air to run air tools and such.

i fill it before each run, and use up whatever is left over around the house

of course now that i wheel a trailer queen it lasts alot longer

Thomass
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
In our busses, a specially the smaller ones with automated doors, we use a small air-compressor, it is be used to open the doors to let passengers in or out, and for the air springs. it is very strong and reliable.
go look at the junk yard (or the place where the sell 2nd hand busses) to find one.
I have installed my tank under the driver seat.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
i use a 20lb powertank co2 system, i will never go back to a compressor, it lasts forever(like 20+ 37" tires from 5psi to 35psi) and is portable. it also puts out plenty of air to run air tools and such.

i fill it before each run, and use up whatever is left over around the house

of course now that i wheel a trailer queen it lasts alot longer

Where do you fill it, and how much does it cost for a typical refill, and a complete refill?

rockrash4x4
07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
it is always a complete refill, they dont do partials

i have mine filled at cypress 290 welding supply my 20lb cost me 12.50 and my 50lb cost 14.50

i had airgas in richmond fill my 20lber a while back and it cost like 15 bux

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
it is always a complete refill, they dont do partials

i have mine filled at cypress 290 welding supply my 20lb cost me 12.50 and my 50lb cost 14.50

i had airgas in richmond fill my 20lber a while back and it cost like 15 bux

Well from what I've read here, and read via Google search, sounds like the bottle is the best way to go. Now I'm thinking a cheap air compressor as a backup wouldn't be a bad thing.

xj4life2
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Muddy , look at the oasis and via air systems , they work great and are not that expensive. I can quote you on one if you give me model number. As for CO2 they are nice, quick ,effective. They are also dangerous !! You must be sure that you have the bottle mounted very solid and I mean able to take a hit or roll over, I have seen the tops get knocked off those and had to dodge a missle. I dont have the room to safely mount one so i don't have one. The Via air and Oasis have complete sytems and or portable units. The last option is the new portables from Smittybuilt very cheap and good quality several of my wheelin buddys carry the as back ups and they work great. Hope this helps
Mark

CT99XJ
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I use an old Scot-bottle my dad had from his time in the FD. He gets it filled for free at the station. The only pain in the butt was I had to build the valve system for it. 30 bucks at Home Depot worked wonders, though.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Muddy , look at the oasis and via air systems , they work great and are not that expensive. I can quote you on one if you give me model number. As for CO2 they are nice, quick ,effective. They are also dangerous !! You must be sure that you have the bottle mounted very solid and I mean able to take a hit or roll over, I have seen the tops get knocked off those and had to dodge a missle. I dont have the room to safely mount one so i don't have one. The Via air and Oasis have complete sytems and or portable units. The last option is the new portables from Smittybuilt very cheap and good quality several of my wheelin buddys carry the as back ups and they work great. Hope this helps
Mark

Thanks, I'll poke around looking at the Oasis stuff.

DETOURS
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
The bottle is better, anyone running around with one unsecured, is....well....just an idiot.

I actually own several, the filling qoutes are pretty much on the money, but this will vary slightly between areas......fire exting. companies also refill.

As already mentioned, great around the house, air tools and lets not forget using it with your welder, plus you can power an ARB as well......uses are many.
Another benny.........Hold it upside down, open the valve.......you've got a large fire extinguiser........:popcorn:

Fast, effective, removeable, multible uses............:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
The bottle is better, anyone running around with one unsecured, is....well....just an idiot.

I actually own several, the filling qoutes are pretty much on the money, but this will vary slightly between areas......fire exting. companies also refill.

As already mentioned, great around the house, air tools and lets not forget using it with your welder, plus you can power an ARB as well......uses are many.
Another benny.........Hold it upside down, open the valve.......you've got a large fire extinguiser........:popcorn:

Fast, effective, removeable, multible uses............:thumbsup:

Some people don't think things through so it is good to state the obvious, like securing the bottle. I'm sure you've run across a few people that need to be told basic things. It's happened to me before and it was just because I didn't have any prior experience, or there was a very pretty girl involved.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Mark

$1500 for an air compressor? Oasis looks to be a good brand though! :smiley-laughing021:

reddragon72
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey Muddy take a look at this

Bumper air (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Bumpers/Rear_Bumper.htm)

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Muddy take a look at this

Bumper air (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Bumpers/Rear_Bumper.htm)

Yep, that's a cool idea. I'm surprised DETOURS doesn't offer something like that on their Slimline bumpers.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I am going to be the kiljoy here and say that I prefer a compressor to a bottle. I used bottles for several years in the HVAC business charging systems for leaks etc. If you are really using them, they go faster than you think. Then when they are empty, they are done.

xj4life2
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
$1500 for an air compressor? Oasis looks to be a good brand though! :smiley-laughing021:

Where did you get 1500.00 from I've never sold one that pricey. Also did you check Via Air ?

Indiana Jeep
07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
S there was a very pretty girl involved.

BEEN there done that, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times!:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Where did you get 1500.00 from I've never sold one that pricey. Also did you check Via Air ?

Amazon, here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-12-Volt-Continuous-Duty-Compressor/dp/B002XYSINC And it's $1699!!! :sad0147:

DETOURS
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Here ya go Mudd---> http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903322

xj4life2
07-19-2010, 03:07 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-12-Volt-Continuous-Duty-Compressor/dp/B002XYSINC And it's $1699!!! :sad0147:

Try this link check it out then I'll tell ya the price....
http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10005.html

How bout $395.00 plus freight
mark

drakan1908
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM

There is a write up in the Sept. Four Wheeler mag. about that compressor. They say it will run a 1/2 inch impact without a tank. It is 100% duty cycle@200psi. It has 2 cooling fans, one for the compressor and one for the motor.

Mudderoy
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
There is a write up in the Sept. Four Wheeler mag. about that compressor. They say it will run a 1/2 inch impact without a tank. It is 100% duty cycle@200psi. It has 2 cooling fans, one for the compressor and one for the motor.

For $1700 it needs to fix me a samwich too!

4.3LXJ
07-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Don't forget a cold drink too! :D

Honestly, went wheeling today and filled up my tires and the guys I went with in about 15 min off my compressor. No fuss, no hassle.

afbond03
07-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Def. go with a bottle.

I had a VIAIR system and it was def. not worth the $450+ I paid for it. I think the only way a compressor system is worth a darn is having two compressors pump into one tank. It took probably 45 minutes to fill up my 4 32" tires from 15psi to 35psi, I def. will never recommend a compressor system to anyone again.
I bought the Ultimate Air 15lb Economy Series and absolutely love it.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
The street rod boys have some really bad a$$ systems to run their air bags. Check some of them out.

drakan1908
07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

HAHA I had never checked the price till you posted it up. That is definitely way to much. I am going with a tank because it will take up less room plus it is removable, no use carrying extra weight around town. As far as filling one it usually runs about $12.00 to fill one around here at a paintball place. When a guy in the club put a solid axle under his X-terra, we used one to run the impact gun, his air drill and a air saw. When we where done it still had co2 left, how much I don't know.

pingpong
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I had a 20Lb Co2 tank.. while it worked great, everyone and the brother wanted to use it to air up. A few guys in the club have Onboard air systems, while they work great, I think they are limited by either the engine having to run, or the battery being strong enough to keep it running. It isnt so much of an issue for me cause my rig is a trail rig only. As for running tools.. that is why I have a 24v impact wrench

4.3LXJ
07-23-2010, 07:01 PM
While at the pick and pull, I finally found an 86 with a V6. It has an electrically operated vacuum valve to speed up the idle speed. I snagged it to rev up my engine when the compressor kicks in. I will be able to operate any air tool wide open now.