PDA

View Full Version : Pitman arm removal and installation

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm going to replace my pitman arm. What tool do I need to rent from the auto parts place to make removal easier? I'm assuming installation of the new one doesn't require anything other than a hammer and the nut to get it on.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Well it's not a XJ but it's got a pitman arm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgftQGkWEkY&feature=fvw

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Ok now that I know what to ask for...

O'Reillys has them for loan or purchase, $13.50.

xj4life2
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
The pitman arm removal tool is a big help if you air available it makes it even easier.As for the replacement I normally hammer them back on with a air impact and then torque to specs.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
That is the way. I have a pitman arm puller which you can rent or borrow. As long as you don't have a skid plate in the way, you won't have to remove the box like in the video. That one came of very easy. Many times with the puller it won't quite break it loose even with the impact on it. Get it as tight as possible, then just hit the screw shaft with a big hammer and it will break loose.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
That is the way. I have a pitman arm puller which you can rent or borrow. As long as you don't have a skid plate in the way, you won't have to remove the box like in the video. That one came of very easy. Many times with the puller it won't quite break it loose even with the impact on it. Get it as tight as possible, then just hit the screw shaft with a big hammer and it will break loose.

No I'm free and clear to the pitman arm. I may need to remove the track bar, but I wanted to paint it anyway! :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Stock track bar is a PITA. I just use a pickle fork and get it done in a minute. Then I buy a new dust cover for it.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Stock track bar is a PITA. I just use a pickle fork and get it done in a minute. Then I buy a new dust cover for it.

I'm sorry I typed it in wrong, SWAY bar. Track bar has been replaced.

pingpong
07-23-2010, 04:10 PM
This is one of them tools that yo should just buy and have yourself... They are not that expensive, and when you need one is it really worth a trip to the parts store to rent one.

Also they make a tie rod remover.. which is worth its weight in gold.

Mudderoy
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
This is one of them tools that yo should just buy and have yourself... They are not that expensive, and when you need one is it really worth a trip to the parts store to rent one.

Also they make a tie rod remover.. which is worth its weight in gold.

$13.50 for the pitman arm remover. I didn't need anything to remove the tierods with. 160k miles, and I just tapped on them with a hammer. Came right out.