PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper problem,Crap!

troys96xj
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
:mad0090:How do I get the rear bumper end caps off? The bolt on the top thats encased .It just spins and theres no way to hold the top half still when turning the nut.How can I get it off without damaging the caps?I bought a new bumper and need to reuse the caps.

4.3LXJ
07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Take the bumper off and use a die grinder or dremel tool to grind the heads of the bolts off.

alwaysxj
07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
i had this same problem with mine. take the bumper off and on the back side of the bumper were the end cap goes the bolt has a barrel nut that you can hit with W-D and then get some vise grips and hold it in place and it will come off then.

troys96xj
07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
i had this same problem with mine. take the bumper off and on the back side of the bumper were the end cap goes the bolt has a barrel nut that you can hit with W-D and then get some vise grips and hold it in place and it will come off then.

I tried that and the plastic nut end just bends.

jdougn
07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I've only removed end caps once but the bolts were frozen in exactly the same way. I ended up damaging the plastic on the underside of one cap getting it off. Probably go the grinder or dremel route like 4.3LXJ suggested above.