PDA

View Full Version : Gear raito

OrangeXJ
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know what the stock gear raito is on a 91 xj with a 4.0 is. it has a 8.25 rear and a Dana 30 front.

Mudderoy
07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know what the stock gear raito is on a 91 xj with a 4.0 is. it has a 8.25 rear and a Dana 30 front.

I'll guess. Automatic? 3.55 Standard 3.07 (with 4.0L) Standard 4.10 (with 2.8L)

OrangeXJ
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
It's an automatic. The reason I ask is that the ECTED locker I got from Auido 222 is for a raito of 3:77 and above.

Mudderoy
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
It's an automatic. The reason I ask is that the ECTED locker I got from Auido 222 is for a raito of 3:77 and above.

So it's for a Dana 30?

OrangeXJ
07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes it is a dana 30

Mudderoy
07-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Yes it is a dana 30

Sorry you had it in your profile, should have looked.

Well sounds like an excellent excuse to go to 4.10 or 4.56 gears. Were you planning on larger diameter tires? 32's and 4.10 would be a perfect combo.

OrangeXJ
07-10-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm planing on 32's. What is the advantage of having 4.10's?

I wounder what could go wrong if I ran this locker with the gears I have now.

OrangeXJ
07-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Well I did some searching and it looks like 91-93 have 3.55. I will call Auburn on Monday and find out what would happen if I used the locker I have. If it's not going to work maybe since it's brand new never installed they will trade for the one I need. I really don't want the expense of changing the gear raito in 2 axles.

rguignard
07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Well I did some searching and it looks like 91-93 have 3.55. I will call Auburn on Monday and find out what would happen if I used the locker I have. If it's not going to work maybe since it's brand new never installed they will trade for the one I need. I really don't want the expense of changing the gear raito in 2 axles.

but if you think you might want to sometime later keep it around :thumbsup:

OrangeXJ
07-10-2010, 08:29 AM
but if you think you might want to sometime later keep it around :thumbsup:

I'm impatiant I want to use it now. :sad0147: Like next weekend.:driving:

4.3LXJ
07-10-2010, 09:48 AM

The Dana differentials have two carriers depending on ratios so that they won't have to put too much material into the ring gear on the numerically higher ratios. You cannot run this carrier with your low ratio ring gear because it will not have much contact with the pinion. There is a solution however. There are ring gear spacers available at least for some models so you can space the ring gear over and use this locker. It is not the best thing, but you will have no problem with it on a front. When you go to 32s going to 4.10 or 4.56 will maintain your power. If not, you will feel like some one threw out the land anchor when you try to accelerate.

OrangeXJ
07-10-2010, 09:59 AM
The Dana differentials have two carriers depending on ratios so that they won't have to put too much material into the ring gear on the numerically higher ratios. You cannot run this carrier with your low ratio ring gear because it will not have much contact with the pinion. There is a solution however. There are ring gear spacers available at least for some models so you can space the ring gear over and use this locker. It is not the best thing, but you will have no problem with it on a front. When you go to 32s going to 4.10 or 4.56 will maintain your power. If not, you will feel like some one threw out the land anchor when you try to accelerate.

Thanks for the input. Where can I get the spacers?

4.3LXJ
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
You might give Randy's Ring and Pinion a call. They would probably have them or know who does. I have never bought any. But I know that they are around somewhere.

OrangeXJ
07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
You might give Randy's Ring and Pinion a call. They would probably have them or know who does. I have never bought any. But I know that they are around somewhere.

OrangeXJ
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Good news I talked to Auburn Gear the manufacturer and told them of my situation they said if it was truly never installed they will send me the correct one.:smiley-bounce015:

4.3LXJ
07-12-2010, 01:32 PM
That is the best alternative.:smiley-love064:

Mudderoy
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Good news I talked to Auburn Gear the manufacturer and told them of my situation they said if it was truly never installed they will send me the correct one.:smiley-bounce015:

Silly question but are you sure this is the best long term solution? Changing gears was probably the best thing that I did to my XJ.

OrangeXJ
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Silly question but are you sure this is the best long term solution? Changing gears was probably the best thing that I did to my XJ.

I've got 30's on there and they are almost brand new. I will put 32's on there when they ware out but it is not a DD so it may take awhile. I don't have a problem performance wise with the 3.55's. It has plenty of get up and go, 65 mph@ 2000 rpm is not bad. Plus the 200 bucks per axle to change gears when I don't really have to at this time. I will go to 4.10's when I make the tire change. I see where you are coming from I have the locker that would work with 4.10's now. I may not like the ECTED locker I've heard pros and cons with them they don't like to un lock with out weaving back and forth for about 50 yards. If so I will sell the locker and get a diffrent one. It's one of those damed if you do damed if you don't deals.

You going to Splendora next weekend?

Mudderoy
07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I've got 30's on there and they are almost brand new. I will put 32's on there when they ware out but it is not a DD so it may take awhile. I don't have a problem performance wise with the 3.55's. It has plenty of get up and go, 65 mph@ 2000 rpm is not bad. Plus the 200 bucks per axle to change gears when I don't really have to at this time. I will go to 4.10's when I make the tire change. I see where you are coming from I have the locker that would work with 4.10's now. I may not like the ECTED locker I've heard pros and cons with them they don't like to un lock with out weaving back and forth for about 50 yards. If so I will sell the locker and get a diffrent one. It's one of those damed if you do damed if you don't deals.

You going to Splendora next weekend?

So far it is a go! Yeah I figured you had thought it out, but sometimes it just takes a nudge from someone else to help you make the right decision for you. People kept telling me don't change the gears until I could get the lockers, but I knew I wasn't going to have a spare $1900 for the ARB lockers for a long long time, and 32 on 3.55's is a dog. I made the right decision for me.

If you have a place that sets up the gears for $200 an axle I need to know who. I may want to use them! $350 is what I've heard from everyone. Chances are better that I would buy one ARB for the rear and have it installed. That would only be $1100!!!! lol

OrangeXJ
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Good deal. I was just guessing about the 200 bucks. After I made that post I call the shop that's going to install the locker and he agreed put the right locker in there now and worry about the other changes later. BTW this shop builds some of the baddest crawlers I've seen. He told me about 350 plus labor to change the gears. He had a ECTED locker and loved the limited slip but did not like the way it unlocked. Sometime it worked fine and sometime you had to work at unlocking it. We also talked about 32's and 4.10's vers 3.55 he has a set of 32's I can put on and test it's not a DD so it may not bother me. All I do with it is use it on weekends ( I have a company truck ) Wheel it with xjtalk friends I've met and use it as a "dingy" for the motor home.

OrangeXJ
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Good deal. I was just guessing about the 200 bucks. After I made that post I called the shop that's going to install the locker and he agreed put the right locker in there now and worry about the other changes later. BTW this shop builds some of the baddest crawlers I've seen. He told me about 350 plus labor to change the gears. He had a ECTED locker and loved the limited slip but did not like the way it unlocked. Sometime it worked fine and sometime you had to work at unlocking it. We also talked about 32's and 4.10's vers 3.55 he has a set of 32's I can put on and test it's not a DD so it may not bother me. All I do with it is use it on weekends ( I have a company truck ) Wheel it with xjtalk friends I've met and use it as a "dingy" for the motor home.