PDA

View Full Version : Fenders

buckeyecam1
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a 98 and I seen one without the stock fender flares. I took mine off tonight and I found out there has to be more to it. Anybody have any good ideas on how to cover up the holes in the actual fener from the fender flare mount? Also do you just trim your fender well and put it back? Thanks in advance.

alwaysxj
07-08-2010, 09:29 PM
well you will need to trim away the holes, just be careful in the back, they have spot welds that you cannot cut or you will be in a mess. what i would do is do a search on how to cut and fold the fenders. as far as the inner well most people just take it out and trash it.
before doing this i would also check with your state law and see if you need to have the flares on or not.

cantab27
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
have a look in here .. theres a link as well in first post ....
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3862&highlight=fenders

jdougn
07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey, I know a little about fender flares. If I'm following your post correctly, you're thinking about trimming to the OEM metal mounting hardware then putting the OEM flares back on? That works and it does add some clearance. I've also seen guys remount their OEM fender flares with sheet metal screws through the upper edge. If done properly that doesn't look bad.

As AlwaysXJ said, you could also eliminate the fender flares and trim the sheet metal back past the mounting holes. However, in some states your tires cannot extend out past the body of the vehicle. You could also install aftermarket fender flares designed to accommodate over sized tire & wheel combos with cut out sheet metal.

Either way have fun with it!!
Doug