PDA

View Full Version : Law by state

Thomass
07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Good day all to you,
wandering over the forum, reading messages, I found two, nearly the same question.

I know that many people with the Idiot Light cluster found in the lower models of XJ swap them out for the tach cluster, and I did it. I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the mileage so it read correctly. The DMV actually has patrol Expeditions in my state that regularly stop people on the highways and hand out absurdly expensive tickets, and I don't want to have serious issues with my mileage being off. The reason I'm worried is the current mileage from the new cluster reads lower than my registration says I bought it with, and the DMV is notorious for being anal about it.

Thanks!
so I as curious as I am, how is this issue regulated, and how can this been controlled by government or others?
I do drive my rig for about 300km a day that is over 100000 km a year.
than my friend, is driving his car only on the weekend with a maximum of 250km, that is in one year 13000km, the cars are the same (exept year of build)
On my bike, (I do crash often) i change my odo sometimes twice a year, because it is broken by a crash. Here in The Netherlands that is not a law issue, but more a matter of telling it to the next owner.
to bring in the odometer for proper adjustment is very costly (here) if you cant do it by your self.

drakan1908
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Here in the State of Virginia the title to the vehicle has a place that is marked as to whether the mileage stated is correct or not. I guess that this is the same as the Netherlands, to let the next person know. The person selling must check a box and sign. I don't know how it works in other states.

Thomass
07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Here in the State of Virginia the title to the vehicle has a place that is marked as to whether the mileage stated is correct or not. I guess that this is the same as the Netherlands, to let the next person know. The person selling must check a box and sign. I don't know how it works in other states.

Over here you buy or sell a car as it is, and you have to trust the salesperson that the odo-reading is the correct one
However there is an kind of car-passport with this kind of information, but that is on a voluntary basis and not regulated by law.
only garages who are working under the umbrella of an nation wide institute (bovag /vocwa) work with this kind of information, but then, they are also people who want to sell a car to gain profit and it is proven that they are not always faithful

cantab27
07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
we have a site you can check up on , herea a old report on the jeep ..its out of date ,so dont worry about the warnings on report ..
https://www.carjam.co.nz/report/?ref=82ACCBF5

Thomass
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
That is great information, more than we ever can see of an rig.
if you wish, you can see the information of my rig as it is documented by government. just follow the next :link: (https://ovi.rdw.nl/) and use my licensplate number XP-12-VZ

I wonder what you think of this,....

APK stands for annually road safety check-up
BPM, we are the only country in the world where we have to pay tax (25%) over the normal price of an car (or motorcycle) and than we pay over this total 19% VAT, so we pay tax over tax :stars:

4.3LXJ
07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
That is great information, more than we ever can see of an rig.
if you wish, you can see the information of my rig as it is documented by government. just follow the next :link: (https://ovi.rdw.nl/) and use my licensplate number XP-12-VZ

I wonder what you think of this,....

APK stands for annually road safety check-up
BPM, we are the only country in the world where we have to pay tax (25%) over the normal price of an car (or motorcycle) and than we pay over this total 19% VAT, so we pay tax over tax :stars:

We do that in some states on our gasoline.

alwaysxj
07-08-2010, 09:41 PM
in Utah you just mark if this is the actual miles on the vehicle. it is just like replacing the motor right.