PDA

View Full Version : Mileage

CT99XJ
07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I know that many people with the Idiot Light cluster found in the lower models of XJ swap them out for the tach cluster, and I did it. I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the mileage so it read correctly. The DMV actually has patrol Expeditions in my state that regularly stop people on the highways and hand out absurdly expensive tickets, and I don't want to have serious issues with my mileage being off. The reason I'm worried is the current mileage from the new cluster reads lower than my registration says I bought it with, and the DMV is notorious for being anal about it.

Thanks!

Mudderoy
07-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I know that many people with the Idiot Light cluster found in the lower models of XJ swap them out for the tach cluster, and I did it. I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the mileage so it read correctly. The DMV actually has patrol Expeditions in my state that regularly stop people on the highways and hand out absurdly expensive tickets, and I don't want to have serious issues with my mileage being off. The reason I'm worried is the current mileage from the new cluster reads lower than my registration says I bought it with, and the DMV is notorious for being anal about it.

Thanks!

That's a good question. Time to set up and burn out a could of drills. This can't be the first time someone has changed out a cluster. There must be a way to have it certified by someone. Just hang on to the old cluster.

default83
07-08-2010, 06:49 AM
just search "speedometer shops" in your area, they can handle it for you. it used to cost around 200-300 bucks, not sure what they charge now.

CT99XJ
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
200-300 bucks was probably when the cables needed to be spun and all that, right? I'm assuming that it could just be a computer thing by this point- plug it in, flash it, replace the correct mileage?

Deviate
07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
That's a pretty good question. I know it's possible with newer Bimmers and Benzes simply by recoding the cluster with our computer after it's installed. They won't even work in the car without recoding them. Then again, their mileage info is stored by the car's computer and not a mechanical odometer reel like the XJ has, so as soon as you code it the cluster pulls the correct mileage from the DME.

My '96 has 245k on it and the idiot light cluster, so I'd definitely like to swap it out with a more useful cluster but I don't want to seem as though I'm trying to pull a fast one on somebody should I ever decide to sell it.

ParadiseXJ
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
In CA there is a provision on the title when you sell it or re-title it where you can edit the apparent mileage to "actual mileage". It asks why, you write in, "gauge cluster replaced". Ask your DMV if there is something like that in your state.

Cost = $0

xj4life2
07-08-2010, 05:04 PM
In Cal when we change a speedo out we must write in sharpe on the door jam the original milage and the date it was replaced . Thats the Legal way here.