PDA

View Full Version : Rear main bearing at 262k

msmoorenburg
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Well I wanted share this with you guys. My 87 Cherokee has 262k on the OD and it was time to replace the rear main seal. I had a feeling the motor wasn't taken care of from the color of the oil on the dipstick. :thumbdown: so when the pan was pulled ,and it had sluge over a inch thick in spots and the pickup tube was over 3/4 blocked. So 30 min later at the parts washer the pan and pickup tube were now clean. So I started to replaced the rear main seal and I was super happy to find this. :eek:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/msmoorenburg/efb0e79d.jpg

Mudderoy
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Well I wanted share this with you guys. My 87 Cherokee has 262k on the OD and it was time to replace the rear main seal. I had a feeling the motor wasn't taken care of from the color of the oil on the dipstick. :thumbdown: so when the pan was pulled ,and it had sluge over a inch thick in spots and the pickup tube was over 3/4 blocked. So 30 min later at the parts washer the pan and pickup tube were now clean. So I started to replaced the rear main seal and I was super happy to find this. :eek:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/msmoorenburg/efb0e79d.jpg

It's been years since I've looked at bearings, and I've never seen one from a 4.0L but doesn't that look nearly new? :patriot:

reddragon72
07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Nope that is not a good thing. The surface should be totally smooth with no single worn area. I would do a rebuild or swap for a 92+ and just deal with the wiring rework and crap and not worry about it anymore.

msmoorenburg
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Its looks new the line you see is from the oiler in the crank. I'd put money on it that it would still pass the plasticgauge test. with that mileage I was happy to see no brass color

Mudderoy
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Its looks new the line you see is from the oiler in the crank. I'd put money on it that it would still pass the plasticgauge test. with that mileage I was happy to see no brass color

Yeah I thought the line was normal especially for that amount of miles.

Plasticgauge results would be interesting. :popcorn:

DETOURS
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Run it!
It looks fine. :popcorn:

reddragon72
07-07-2010, 11:17 AM

I was told any line on that fitting is a bad thing. But then again I was also told that the only way to destroy the rear bearing is to run the engine with no oil for a year, and that the pistons would seize up before the rear bearing gave out. But like I said I heard that any line is not a good thing...

msmoorenburg
07-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I was told any line on that fitting is a bad thing. But then again I was also told that the only way to destroy the rear bearing is to run the engine with no oil for a year, and that the pistons would seize up before the rear bearing gave out. But like I said I heard that any line is not a good thing...

Well lines are bad but the difference is if you can feel it you have issues. This just looked like discoloration

CT99XJ
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
for the mileage, that looks damn good, man. My MJ had much worse at 110k. all in how the engine's maintained.

msmoorenburg
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
for the mileage, that looks damn good, man. My MJ had much worse at 110k. all in how the engine's maintained.

I think it was maintained in its early days (it was a rental car according to the vin search from the dealer) and the 2nd owner labeled everything he changed and the last owner just drove it. he only owned it for a year

DETOURS
07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
It's hard to beat a 4.0 ! :patriot: