PDA

View Full Version : cooling questions

Thomass
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi all,
I just came back of an trip to the southern parts of Germany.
It was more than fun.
But i noticed some funny things I really can not explain by my self.

Last Friday, i left after the football match, it was then about 32 degrees C. (89,6F) the first 450 kilometres (about 280 mi) there was no problem at all.
Then when the outside temperature drops to an 23c, the cooling of the rig raises to far in the red, and losses most of his power (climbing an 5% hill on the highway and slowing down from 55 mi to 40 mi) and the AW4 sounded if it was slipping
After stopping the rig on a parking spot, checking the coolant, the reservoir was completely filed, and steam came out of it.
After cooling down and refilling, the problem stayed away for an other 100 miles, then it started all over again.
The next day, even more warmer outside the cooling of the engine did not gif any problems, and run the whole trip perfect.

Coming home today, i noticed that the fuel consumption was very little about 25 mi to a gallon (11 km on one litre).
I wonder what went wrong that day. I have not experienced this during normal travel only once in a pileup??

Mudderoy
07-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi all,
I just came back of an trip to the southern parts of Germany.
It was more than fun.
But i noticed some funny things I really can not explain by my self.

Last Friday, i left after the football match, it was then about 32 degrees C. (89,6F) the first 450 kilometres (about 280 mi) there was no problem at all.
Then when the outside temperature drops to an 23c, the cooling of the rig raises to far in the red, and losses most of his power (climbing an 5% hill on the highway and slowing down from 55 mi to 40 mi) and the AW4 sounded if it was slipping
After stopping the rig on a parking spot, checking the coolant, the reservoir was completely filed, and steam came out of it.
After cooling down and refilling, the problem stayed away for an other 100 miles, then it started all over again.
The next day, even more warmer outside the cooling of the engine did not gif any problems, and run the whole trip perfect.

Coming home today, i noticed that the fuel consumption was very little about 25 mi to a gallon (11 km on one litre).
I wonder what went wrong that day. I have not experienced this during normal travel only once in a pileup??

I wonder if it was the transmission slipping generating excessive heat?

Thomass
07-06-2010, 03:33 AM
I wonder if it was the transmission slipping generating excessive heat?

That might be a possibility, I was thinking about this to.
But why is it slipping only then??
Later today, I will drain and refresh all of the transmission oil and renew the filter again.
I have to find this bugging problem before next Thursday, than we want to go for a few days to northern Sweden and Finland.
And if we got stuck there in remote area, we will have a real problem...
it is that I can not reproduce the problem, to find the problem..

But still, there is this question, why did the rig uses so less fuel, did I adjust the electronics so poor that in fact the amount of fuel it really needs to run and cool the engine proper was not gained ? or was it just a happy moment for my budged :-)

Mudderoy
07-06-2010, 06:43 AM
That might be a possibility, I was thinking about this to.
But why is it slipping only then??
Later today, I will drain and refresh all of the transmission oil and renew the filter again.
I have to find this bugging problem before next Thursday, than we want to go for a few days to northern Sweden and Finland.
And if we got stuck there in remote area, we will have a real problem...
it is that I can not reproduce the problem, to find the problem..

But still, there is this question, why did the rig uses so less fuel, did I adjust the electronics so poor that in fact the amount of fuel it really needs to run and cool the engine proper was not gained ? or was it just a happy moment for my budged :-)

I'll have to go back and re-read it, but I thought you said it was slipping when driving up hill. That would explain the slipping and the greater gas useage. But maybe I misunderstood.

4.3LXJ
07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Thomas

You said it heated up when climbing a hill. 5% is a fairly steep grade. Was the aux fan coming on? You should have a separate transmission cooler in front of the radiator so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thomass
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll have to go back and re-read it, but I thought you said it was slipping when driving up hill. That would explain the slipping and the greater gas useage. But maybe I misunderstood.

no, it sounded like slipping, but not really. more a loss of power.
this afternoon i changed the tranny-oil and replaced the filter.
after I posted my last reply, I found similar cases on the forum, with the same symptoms as I did experience. and temperatures higher or equal to mine.
after reading it all (:smiley-gen165:) I suspect mi water pump. i really do not know the length of use of this pump, ma by it is as old as mi rig is (22 years)
to morrow I'll order a new pump, but I'm not sure if I have to order an OEM or after market pump. (its the only part I never give any attention)

Thomass
07-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Thomas

You said it heated up when climbing a hill. 5% is a fairly steep grade. Was the aux fan coming on? You should have a separate transmission cooler in front of the radiator so that shouldn't be the problem.
I have a hand switched aux fan, i can switch it on an of by hand. I'm pretty sure that it was on, (it makes an awful noise)
this separate transmission cooler, I have read about it on the forum, and yes that is an option, I have look t at the after market auxiliary cooler, and i found an cooler from a forklift, and one out of an VW T5 automatic (second hand) I might try this one out. for 25 euro's I risk the experience.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/oliekoeler.jpg VW T5 Automat cooler

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/hc14.jpg forklift cooler