PDA

View Full Version : The sixties

4.3LXJ
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Kids think they have it tough today and at the same time they can be so board. Here is a video that very accurately depicts what was going on fifty years ago. You might find it interesting. Add to this video also that you could wheel where you wanted too.

http://objflicks.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

OrangeXJ
07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Boy did that bring back memories. Back then my age ranged from 5 to 15 life was much simpler then. People cared about people I can remember if you messed up one of your neighbors parents could ware you out with out fear of your parents calling the police on them. Then my parents would ware me out with out fear of someone calling CPS on them. What happened? where did we go wrong to be in the mess we are in today. :confused:

4.3LXJ
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Boy did that bring back memories. Back then my age ranged from 5 to 15 life was much simpler then. People cared about people I can remember if you messed up one of your neighbors parents could ware you out with out fear of your parents calling the police on them. Then my parents would ware me out with out fear of someone calling CPS on them. What happened? where did we go wrong to be in the mess we are in today. :confused:

Real good question. But I think that when we threw away traditional values in that generation it was a good start. You and I are old enough we already had traditional values. The interesting thing is that many commentators have said we reneged on the sixties by going back to 50s values. But not so for latter generations.

OrangeXJ
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
For me the beginning of the 60's was good. Being a kid in the 5 to 10 year range life was care free our only worry was how we were going to play today.
The last part of the 60's not so much. I lost a brother in Vietnam in 68 and at that time with no end of the war in sight they were still drafting into the 70's I was beginning to think there my be a chance I would get drafted. Lucky for me the war ended the year after I was eligible for the draft. We would be much better off today if we had the 50's values. I would have loved to be a teenager in the 50's.

4.3LXJ
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
For me the beginning of the 60's was good. Being a kid in the 5 to 10 year range life was care free our only worry was how we were going to play today.
The last part of the 60's not so much. I lost a brother in Vietnam in 68 and at that time with no end of the war in sight they were still drafting into the 70's I was beginning to think there my be a chance I would get drafted. Lucky for me the war ended the year after I was eligible for the draft. We would be much better off today if we had the 50's values. I would have loved to be a teenager in the 50's.

Yes, the first part of the sixties was not so bad, but from 65 on it was kind of like hell I thought. Our values were turned upside down, a war we didn't like, assassinations, riots shootings etc. It was very turbulent and most of us were so confused we did not know what we wanted. Many of my class mates were so far into drugs I thought they would just die. I am finding out through other classmates they left it all and became respected businessmen and women instead.

finneys98xj
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Before I start just want to make sure Everyone knows this is not suppose to be in anyway racial.

Two weeks ago I took a class and the instructor was black. He was an oldder man. Some how I cant remeber why but we got on the subject of Respect, Values and Morals(This was a scaffolded class how we got on that subject I don't know). I asked him when he thought people started lossing respect and their morals. He said that he blames it all on desegregation and "Work fairness"(I forget the proper name fore it but the clause saying you have to have so many blacks, women, and minoityrs in the work place/schools). THis is he thinking on it: When they came up with the "Worker Fairness" saying that colleges and work places had to admitt so many Minoritys reguardless of whether a White had abetter score or more Experinence or even better grades. That the minoritys started acting like they didn't have to work as hard or strive to do better and started acting like they should be given more than what they were because of what they had put up with. He also said that when Attention Disorders start to found/named that parents started to pass little things off as "O he has ADHD or whatever, he cant help it" and that started graduliy getting worst.

He also went into littlemore detail about it, but I can't remember. Again this is not my veiw but looking at history I tend you have to agree with him.

FINNEY

4.3LXJ
07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I think one of the concepts you are looking for is politically correct

BlueXJ
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Affirmative Action is the term that refers to putting a predetermined segment of minorities where they are not qualified to be.

Mudderoy
07-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Affirmative Action is/was in no way logically correct. You should never put people into jobs that they are not qualified for, however...

Years had gone by where minorities were not hired because of their color. If they were hired they weren't hired for certain jobs. Passing a law that short circuits this trend, this way of thinking allows minorities to be put in jobs that they wouldn't normally have. This allows other minorities to see that it is possible for them to succeed as equals in this country and perhaps try a little harder and be the right person for that job, or even president.

Hope and hopelessness are amazing things, and can move people to do much.

So Affirmative Action doesn't make sense at it's basic level, but in the overall picture I think there was little else that could be done.

I still don't like it because it goes against my common sense, but I do understand why it was done.

cantab27
07-02-2010, 04:01 AM
1965 was a good year ,,,,,,,

drakan1908
07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
I miss the simpler times when kids did their homework, ate dinner with the rest of the family,yes everyone ate together and you didn't leave the table till everyone was done, then you went outside and played till dark, Santa, easter bunny and the tooth fairy were real,you watched TV for maybe 1 hour a night,went to church on Sunday and probably most importantly KIDS RESPECTED THEIR PARENTS.

Mudderoy
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I was born in 1959, so I know the 60's. We didn't eat together. Everything I had ran on "D" sized batteries that I would leave on and the battery's were dead in a few hours (over night usually). In the Houston area we had 3 TV channels, well that was channel 16 that was so noisy the only way you could watch it was to hook your tv antenna to the toaster.

The afternoon news was sooooo boring. This guy that scared me would read the news and never NEVER crack a smile. NEWS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS BUSTER!

I was in a class of nine children. I rode my bike to school. And broke an unbelievable number of thermoses. Later when I went to Junior High that changed to a class of 32 and 5 or 6 different classes and teachers.

Viet Nam was a pain in the *** to watch. Oh and it really pissed me off when Pres. Kennedy was killed because there were no morning cartoons, just his funeral!

Would I like to relive the 60's? Hell no. Would I want our world like it was in the 60's HELL NO!

Now is a better time. Things are always improving. It's like being married to a super model, but you have to be faithful to her. I mean come on she's a super model you can give up something, right? :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Affirmative Action is/was in no way logically correct. You should never put people into jobs that they are not qualified for, however...

Years had gone by where minorities were not hired because of their color. If they were hired they weren't hired for certain jobs. Passing a law that short circuits this trend, this way of thinking allows minorities to be put in jobs that they wouldn't normally have. This allows other minorities to see that it is possible for them to succeed as equals in this country and perhaps try a little harder and be the right person for that job, or even president.

Hope and hopelessness are amazing things, and can move people to do much.

So Affirmative Action doesn't make sense at it's basic level, but in the overall picture I think there was little else that could be done.

I still don't like it because it goes against my common sense, but I do understand why it was done.

I understand the principle behind it. However there was a problem where I worked. Later when women's lib had taken hold, we had to hire women where I worked as a firefighter. This is a physically demanding job. You have to put on 25# of gear minimum plus a 40# air pack to start in most situations. Or there was the 80# jaws of life to wield, a fire ax with a heavy head and so forth and our ladders were heavy and you needed to raise them by yourself. We had a physical agility test everyone every year had to pass that was representative of what was required at a fire scene. We had to change it to be able to have women be able to pass it. As a result, we had women on the crew that couldn't do CPR, operate a hose or swing an ax even because they lacked the strength to do it. I am not being sexist here. It was nice having them around, but at the fire scenes they just hung around the ambulance waiting for a possible need for medical attention. It was pretty much a wast of tax payers money.

BlueXJ
07-03-2010, 05:14 AM
^^^^This is an example of Affirmative Action as discussed in another thread.^^^^

As to the 60s I have some great memories and some horrible ones as well. First half of the sixties were great, I graduated HS in 66 and started school as an x-ray tech. Got out of x-ray school in 68 and straight into the Navy. In 69 was sent to VietNam and attached to the USMC.
So the sixties were a few good years and a couple of bad ones too. Good do not outweigh the bad so I would not want to re-live them.