PDA

View Full Version : Locked Up Brake?

Four_X_What
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
On my front drivers side tire the brake seems to always be on. It just started the other day when I was driving down the road. Today I replaced the rotor and the front brakes. I was all excited when I got done.... but then it did it again and now its making the same horrible grinding noise. But no pressure at all in the pedal. The caliper isint locked up. I dont know where to go from here??? Please help. :confused:

rguignard
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
can you turn the tire with it jacked up ? i bet its a caliper thats bad or a hose going to the caliper

Four_X_What
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
can you turn the tire with it jacked up ? i bet its a caliper thats bad or a hose going to the caliper

yes it turns fine. and i bled the brakes the lines seem ok. Hopefully its the caliper. Thats what im buying next.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Grinding noise with new brakes? I vote unit bearing

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Yeah that would make the wheel hot! :mad0090:

Four_X_What
06-30-2010, 12:56 AM

So is that the wheel bearing?

4.3LXJ
06-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Yes

Mudderoy
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM

And they are about $150 each. :(

4.3LXJ
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
And they are about $150 each. :(

And also known to fail with larger tires and non stock offset on the wheels. If you don't like the price tag, a used one might be a good alternative. Some of them will last almost forever.

reddragon72
06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
And it is an easy job once you get all the bolts broken loose. And don't forget to clean off the shaft threads before you take off the nut so it doesn't bind up on you.

I have replaced both of mine and bought the best ones I could get my hands on hoping they hold up, just don't skimp on them or you'll be doing it all again in a less then 10K miles.

Mudderoy
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
And it is an easy job once you get all the bolts broken loose. And don't forget to clean off the shaft threads before you take off the nut so it doesn't bind up on you.

I have replaced both of mine and bought the best ones I could get my hands on hoping they hold up, just don't skimp on them or you'll be doing it all again in a less then 10K miles.

I went with Timken wheel bearing assemblies. :thumbsup:

reddragon72
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Also don't forget that the brake pins might be bent just a tad and is causing the brakes to get hung up.

Nicksdsm
06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem. I changed the rotors, calipers, brake lines and brake shoes. After all that, I hoped it would be fixed but the drivers side brake would not release. I changed the master cylinder and all is fixed now. It's been about 4 months now and I have not had any other problems.

Four_X_What
07-02-2010, 01:30 AM
I had the same problem. I changed the rotors, calipers, brake lines and brake shoes. After all that, I hoped it would be fixed but the drivers side brake would not release. I changed the master cylinder and all is fixed now. It's been about 4 months now and I have not had any other problems.

See im thinking it maybe something along theses lines. Not a bearing. Only because I have zero pedal pressure. When I went to park backwards in my spot I had to use the curb as my brake because the pedal went to the floor and didnt stop me at all. Im not sure if the binding and the pressure are two seperate issues. I was hoping it would just be a caliper and that would be the end of it. Havent had a chance to mess with it. But in the morning im going to try and figure it out.

Four_X_What
07-02-2010, 01:54 AM
In the morning im gonna replace the caliper and the master cylinder. If that doesn't fix it I found a site that has the hubs 115 for the pair and a 2 year warranty on it.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-bearing-hub-front/Jeep/Cherokee/1ASHS00010/136821/1989