PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle Seals

msmoorenburg
06-29-2010, 08:46 AM
OK i'm at reworking my front end and the question has come up to replace the Front axle seals or not to. The XJ has 260k on the clock and the previous owner was a little lacking on the maintance. hints why the transfercase was vented by the chain. See the link below, the task isn't hard the question is should I since they are not leaking today

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30seals/seal-1.htm

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 09:14 AM
You don't say what reworking means, but if you are in it, then by all means replace any seals you can including the pinion.

msmoorenburg
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
You don't say what reworking means, but if you are in it, then by all means replace any seals you can including the pinion.

I'm replacing ball joints and axle u-joints now. The pinion seal is no biggie it was the others I was courious about

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Seals are cheap, usually, and easy to replace. Nothing worse than doing a multi-hour job and then having to go back in to replace a leaky seal. Seem like disturbing the seal causes them to leak. That's my general seal knowledge not specific to the one's you are asking about.

reddragon72
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't believe in the old adage if it's not broke don't fix it. Especially wen it comes to seals. They are to cheap and easy to replace(most of the time) so no reason not to just do it and get it done.

msmoorenburg
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Update :stars: I ordered a pile of seals from Autojoke 4 were shipped in ,And none were the axle seals (as requested) :sad0147:. So this morning I get with my buddy at the dealership to get them and AMC used 2 different size seals one 2.29OD and the other 2.12OD and they are 1 to 5 days out(no vin reference). So for the ones wanting to reseal the Dana 30 your rig will be down for a few days. The seals are 8 bucks so i'm gonna order a spare

4.3LXJ
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
When it comes to seals, I generally go to a place that specializes in bearings and seals. You will find those are standard seals that are almost always in stock. just take in the old one or a number and brand and go home with the seal.