PDA

View Full Version : need help

dogdog130
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
i just got this jeep and owner said never change fluid in rear dif well i did today and put ultra black rtv on the gasket both sides and in each bolt when put it in and still leaking any ideas

Mudderoy
06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
i just got this jeep and owner said never change fluid in rear dif well i did today and put ultra black rtv on the gasket both sides and in each bolt when put it in and still leaking any ideas

You didn't mention if you cleaned the mating surfaces or not, and how. I used a wire brush and then but RTV red on it. Let it set up for a few minutes (read the instructions on the tube to be sure) then bolt it up. I've done the front and rear diff as well as my NP242 transfer case when I changed the chain. I've never had a leak and it was the first time I ever did it.

I've never used the black. Could it be that you over tighted the bolts and warped the cover?

oderdene
06-29-2010, 06:45 AM
You didn't mention if you cleaned the mating surfaces or not, and how. I used a wire brush and then but RTV red on it. Let it set up for a few minutes (read the instructions on the tube to be sure) then bolt it up. I've done the front and rear diff as well as my NP242 transfer case when I changed the chain. I've never had a leak and it was the first time I ever did it.

I've never used the black. Could it be that you over tighted the bolts and warped the cover?

X2, red RTV is great for diffs

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I have never had RTV leak on me yet. You do have to get the surfaces clean and free of oil though and make sure the cover is straight.

alwaysxj
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
one of my buddies kept having his truck leak on him, he changed covers, put new RTV on like ten times, then he got some red or orangeish color RTV and it worked. i just kept telling him it was a ford, but he did not think that was funny.

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
one of my buddies kept having his truck leak on him, he changed covers, put new RTV on like ten times, then he got some red or orangeish color RTV and it worked. i just kept telling him it was a ford, but he did not think that was funny.

You should have said it was natural for a Ford (which I like) to wet itself anytime a Jeep was around. :smiley-laughing021:

drakan1908
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM

How long did you let it set before adding fluid? As a rule the black should set for 24 hrs. I wouldn't use the gasket just use the sealant. You didn't need to put it in the bolt holes.

dogdog130
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
i let it hit for 3 hours in 110 degree heat lol and i used the gasket so dont use a gasket

drakan1908
06-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Most everybody I know who uses sealant doesn't use a gasket. If they use a gasket they use this http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=13916 No wait time for sealant to cure and is reusable.

dogdog130
06-30-2010, 07:19 AM
see i got one from advanced it is cork and i think that the problem

msmoorenburg
06-30-2010, 08:02 AM
see i got one from advanced it is cork and i think that the problem

Just make sure you don't over tighten the bolts (the cork will leak if you nail them tight) I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 of a tube of RTV. Run a good bead on the diff and one on the cover and let it crest up (20mins) and bolt it together and you will be fine.:thumbsup:

dogdog130
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
yea not problem is getting gear oil smell out my hands and advanced said it used 75-140

nathan'sjeep
11-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Ive used the black and red rtv both on my tuck and jeep with no gasket and no leak yet. no drying time. i lay a small bead down and smooth it out with my finger not in but around the bolt holes and i have good luck with that.

Jeepster19
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Most everybody I know who uses sealant doesn't use a gasket. If they use a gasket they use this http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=13916 No wait time for sealant to cure and is reusable.

Looks like a quality seal for the diff cover.I'll keep that info in mind when I service mine.Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

bluedragon436
11-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah unless you use the seal there from 4wd.. I wouldn't use a seal on the diff covers... I am going to be replacing the fluid in both of my diffs (as supposedly it was changed by the dealer before I bought it).. so I have been talking to quite a few people that have done them, as well as a few shops to get the best way to do it the first time around.. The way msmoorenburg says above is the way pretty much all of them told me to do it.. and they all said make sure you use the red RTV, and that both surfaces are clean and free of oil..

GaryFlattery
11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Also it wouldn't hurt to turn the cover with the inside facing up and take a ball pien hammer with the ball end and tap the bolt holes back down or toward the outside of the cover so that way when you tighten the bolts it will squash the gasket or sealant out evenly. Don't overtighten. Use some common sense when tightening bolts. I believe they are 5/16 bolts which should torque to about 20-25 ft/lbs. snug the bolts down evenly first then torque them evenly.