PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure

Thomass
06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Hi all,

Just an question,
when i start my rig in the morning (cold engine), the oil pressure goes to 4 / 4,5
but when i drive a while (the engine reaches operating temperature), the oil pressure goes down to 3 / 3,5.

Is this normal? or do i need to care about it...

Thomass

default83
06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi all,

Just an question,
when i start my rig in the morning (cold engine), the oil pressure goes to 4 / 4,5
but when i drive a while (the engine reaches operating temperature), the oil pressure goes down to 3 / 3,5.

Is this normal? or do i need to care about it...

Thomass

not sure what the oil pressure is suppose to be, but i do know that it is normal for the pressure to drop as the engine warms up...

the oil gets hot so it thins out which equals less pressure.

reddragon72
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM
yea mine does the same thing, and it gets all the way down to the first line on the left and sometimes right below that. But when I step on the gas it goes right back up to the middle and sometimes just a tad over the middle.

I think this is odd, because none of my other vehicles do this. Makes me wonder if the pump is going bad or something.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Normal Thomas

In spite of efforts to make multi viscosity oil behave for instance like 10W when cold and 30W when warm (10W30) it still just gets thinner (less viscous) when it gets to operating temperature. The oil pressure is determined by how much pressure it takes to push the oil through the system and leak out through various bearing surfaces. So as the oil becomes less viscous the pressure goes down.

Thomass
06-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Thank you all, The explanation is very clear and logical. so it is no point to be worried of.
I'm ready for the vacation. :driving:

Th