PDA

View Full Version : strange oil leak

reddragon72
06-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I have the oddest leak, and thought I had found it, but now I'm thinking I didn't. I have oil leaking from the oil filter or something in that area. Things checks it dipstick, no leak there and the oil filter housing, and just replaced the oil pressure gauge. I simply cannot find the leak there. It is not the rear seal as the oil is all over the oil filter, starter, and lowest part of the oil pan but forward of the main seal area. It is leaking pretty bad like it is blowing out of the oil filter gasket or something.

Could there be to much pressure in the engine and it is blowing out whatever place it can find? I thought I found it, but after a closer look it doesn't appear to be coming from the oil housing gasket.... totally stumped now :headshake:

default83
06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
how is the pcv valve? is it stuck?

also clean the area that oil is going over and look at it while its running to see if you can see where its coming from.

could be the cam seal and its hitting the belt and flinging it up there.

reddragon72
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I just read about the pcv valve being stuck and causing excess pressure in the engine and pushing out out everywhere. I see this on the oil cap as well, I clean the seal on the oil cap and then look again and there is oil there, so I'm going to pull the pcv and check it. Also been told that it may have blown the o-ring on the oil housing so I may have to replace that as well, but it certainly doesn't look like the oil is coming from there, it looks like it is coming from the oil filter.

Also I put in a new oil pressure sensor thinking my old one was bad, and my oil pressure fluxuates bad. It has always done this, even with the old one, but at a traffic light the pressure drops to the first white line and then when driving it goes up just pass the middle line. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the leak?

rguignard
06-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I just read about the pcv valve being stuck and causing excess pressure in the engine and pushing out out everywhere. I see this on the oil cap as well, I clean the seal on the oil cap and then look again and there is oil there, so I'm going to pull the pcv and check it. Also been told that it may have blown the o-ring on the oil housing so I may have to replace that as well, but it certainly doesn't look like the oil is coming from there, it looks like it is coming from the oil filter.

Also I put in a new oil pressure sensor thinking my old one was bad, and my oil pressure fluxuates bad. It has always done this, even with the old one, but at a traffic light the pressure drops to the first white line and then when driving it goes up just pass the middle line. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the leak?

i have the dye that you can put in the oil pm me if you need it

reddragon72
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
i have the dye that you can put in the oil pm me if you need it

I'll let you know as I'm going to test the pcv after work to see if it is stuck. It really seems like a pressure issue.

ParadiseXJ
06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
It's entirely possible for you to be leaking at the oil filter itself. Check to see if the old rubber gasket stuck to the housing, and you doubled it up when you put on the new gasket. I've also gotten the right filter before but the gasket actually was wrong.

I'd be willing to bet though that your sender is leaking at the threads. There is quite a bit of pressure right at the sender connection. Did you put any thread sealant (copper)on the sender when you installed it?

I know that some folks say if the CCV is clogged it'll force oil out everywhere. I just can't see that happening. It may cause you to have excessive blowby but it would take the path of least resistance, which would present itself at the valve cover and not a good tight connection like the pan, the RMS or the Oil filter adapter (considering they are all in good shape).