PDA

View Full Version : No brakelights or turnsignals

Rysam
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I just wired in some trailer lights with the converter doohickey today. When I finished I had my daughter hit the brakes and signals so I could put a test light on the plug. turnsignals and headlights worked fine, no brakelights at the plug or on my rig. At that point all I did was check the fuses. all were good. then the turnsignals stopped working within 5 minutes. Now I have no turns and brakes. tested all fuses again, nada. replaced the brakelight switch with a brand spanking new one, still the same..nothing.
the weird part is the flasher keeps clicking non-stop. no lights just clicks, It doesnt matter where the signal lever on the column is. hit the brake pedal and the clicking stops. I ran a live line from the batt all the way to the back to check the lights and they all worked with constant 12v. when i took the constant away, the brakelights worked for 3 presses of the pedal then faded away kinda like the 12v jump gave something a quick charge? im lost at this point. can anyone offer advice??

91,ax15,4.0,231,no cruise. base model.

I have no turnsignal lights on the dash anymore and the hazards are out as well.

Mudderoy
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I just wired in some trailer lights with the converter doohickey today. When I finished I had my daughter hit the brakes and signals so I could put a test light on the plug. turnsignals and headlights worked fine, no brakelights at the plug or on my rig. At that point all I did was check the fuses. all were good. then the turnsignals stopped working within 5 minutes. Now I have no turns and brakes. tested all fuses again, nada. replaced the brakelight switch with a brand spanking new one, still the same..nothing.
the weird part is the flasher keeps clicking non-stop. no lights just clicks, It doesnt matter where the signal lever on the column is. hit the brake pedal and the clicking stops. I ran a live line from the batt all the way to the back to check the lights and they all worked with constant 12v. when i took the constant away, the brakelights worked for 3 presses of the pedal then faded away kinda like the 12v jump gave something a quick charge? im lost at this point. can anyone offer advice??

91,ax15,4.0,231,no cruise. base model.

I have no turnsignal lights on the dash anymore and the hazards are out as well.

I don't know but I'd check the flasher. Sounds like you burned it up.

Rysam
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
i have 3 spares and they all act the same. I dunno WTF happened, everything worked this afternoon.

Mudderoy
06-17-2010, 11:40 PM
i have 3 spares and they all act the same. I dunno WTF happened, everything worked this afternoon.

They act the same with the additional wiring removed?

Rysam
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
everything is 100% back to stock now. i had started out by wiring one of those converter boxes for trailer lights into the system with the blue squeeze taps and have since removed all of that. no broken wires.

Rysam
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
This morning I went out and checked/replaced all the fuses, swapped flashers again, and nothing.. Trailer wiring and plugging in a stereo is the max on my 12v wiring capabilities, this is gonna be fun.

Rysam
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
turn signals decided to work..I played the flasher swap game again. not sure what happened there.

brakelights come on very dim, I can barely see the element light up in my cupped hand, then fade away to nothing.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
If the flasher is working, it means there is power going through it. Is the front flashing? If so, that explains it. If not then you have a short someplace that is not enough to trip the fuse.

Rysam
06-18-2010, 07:38 PM
the turns flash fine f/r.

The brake lights do come on real dim and fade quickly. I talked to a buddy thats a diesel mechanic and he seems to think I fried a ground or relay. I have a FSM on the way for a 93 I believe..but that may take a day or 2. anyone know where might I find the ground for the lights? I haven't a clue as to where to look.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Rysam, just establish a new ground to the body with a crimp connector and a sheet metal screw.

Rysam
06-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I'll get on it asap. I did clean the ground on the body in the back and the one from the batt. to the body last night. I wonder if the ground splice came apart when I pulled the lights out?

Rysam
06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I just went and ran a new ground from the sockets on both sides to the body. The brake lights are much brighter but the taillights come on brighter than the brakes. actually they appear to be the opposite of what they should be. if that makes sense. the bulbs were swapped from the spare bulb pile so they are good.

edit: just had my daughter hit the brakes for me and they are working right, the brake lights are just real weak. still a ground?

i appreciate your patience, I suck bad at electrics, always have.

Rysam
06-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Got it!! The PO (Previous Owner) did some funky BS wiring. the hot for the lights was just a wire on the batt. that had rotted away. No idea why he did it so I cleaned the wire up, crimped on a eye and attached to the PDC hot lug. all is well in jeepland again and oh man is it well grounded.

4.3LXJ
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
:congrats::banana::banana: