PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak from radiator cap

greenchevy
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I did the cooling system upgrade on my 89 cherokee. Everything seems to be working other then it leaks from the radiator cap. I used a cap from a 93 cherokee which is 13 psi. The pressure for my old system was 16 psi. Should i get a cap rated at 16psi? I cant get why its leaking from the cap and not going in to the overflow bottle. Where should i mount the overflow bottle? higher then the radiator cap? The radiator cap and overflow bottle is about the same height. Shouldn't it flow to the overflow bottle not leak at the cap? I already replaced the cap once already with another 93 cherokee. I'm lost. :confused:

JENSSEN
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I did the cooling system upgrade on my 89 cherokee. Everything seems to be working other then it leaks from the radiator cap. I used a cap from a 93 cherokee which is 13 psi. The pressure for my old system was 16 psi. Should i get a cap rated at 16psi? I cant get why its leaking from the cap and not going in to the overflow bottle. Where should i mount the overflow bottle? higher then the radiator cap? The radiator cap and overflow bottle is about the same height. Shouldn't it flow to the overflow bottle not leak at the cap? I already replaced the cap once already with another 93 cherokee. I'm lost. :confused:

Its the rad used? sometimes the plastic necks wear out and the rad is pretty much Fubar'd, but start with the rthe 16 psi cap and report back. Now that being said is the neck where the cap seal seats clean and free of debris?

greenchevy
06-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I bought a inline radiator filler and spliced it in to my upper radiator hose. I'll get a 16 psi cap and see what happens.

greenchevy
06-12-2010, 01:11 PM
i went with the 16 pound filler cap and it still leaks just not as bad. it seems that it isn't going in the overflow bottle

JENSSEN
06-14-2010, 12:05 AM
i went with the 16 pound filler cap and it still leaks just not as bad. it seems that it isn't going in the overflow bottle

Neck may be worn out,.. lemmie guess,.. plastic?

4.3LXJ
06-14-2010, 08:57 AM
It it doesn't go into the bottle, the upper lip is not sealing. Better get another. I got a brass one made at a radiator shop for just a few dollars.