PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking in when it rains

Thomass
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
for many days now, when it rains, water flows in my rig.:mad0090:
i do not see it fall or flow, it is just there after a rain. it is in the left bottom corner in front of the drivers seat next to the pedals.
I have put the water-hose on the car to find-out where it leaks, i even used the high-pressure watter gun, been to the car-wash, but no success.
I have seen this before in an other XJ (not mine)
Anny of you has this same irritating leaking in the past? where do i have to look or surge.

Thomass

rguignard
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
for many days now, when it rains, water flows in my rig.:mad0090:
i do not see it fall or flow, it is just there after a rain. it is in the left bottom corner in front of the drivers seat next to the pedals.
I have put the water-hose on the car to find-out where it leaks, i even used the high-pressure watter gun, been to the car-wash, but no success.
I have seen this before in an other XJ (not mine)
Anny of you has this same irritating leaking in the past? where do i have to look or surge.

Thomass

i have no idea :eek: rust or is it coming from the bottom?

alwaysxj
06-08-2010, 01:40 PM
are your fenders cut? if they are it could be coming in from the fender well.
or if you have a wing window if you open them then they leak, well at least mine did.

Thomass
06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
No, the water is clean, completely clear. No rust or other contamination

My fenders are not cut, they are OEM,

a do not know what a "wing window" is, but i assume that it i the small triangle window in the front door. No i do not have such a window (but it would be nice to have one)

Four_X_What
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
No, the water is clean, completely clear. No rust or other contamination

My fenders are not cut, they are OEM,

a do not know what a "wing window" is, but i assume that it i the small triangle window in the front door. No i do not have such a window (but it would be nice to have one)

Its not as much fun as it sounds to have the wing window. Going threw a car wash is pretty scary. Was it leaking after you have been driving? Or just sitting still. Because on mine there is about 4 holes on the drivers side near the top of the brake pedal(I ran my fan switch threw there). They arent huge. But 12g wire fit threw it so they can catch some water.

cantab27
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
are your fenders cut? if they are it could be coming in from the fender well.
or if you have a wing window if you open them then they leak, well at least mine did.

think thats were mine is coming in ..never leaked before i trimmed ...:sad0147:

Thomass
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Was it leaking after you have been driving? Or just sitting still.
Because on mine there is about 4 holes on the drivers side near the top of the brake pedal(I ran my fan switch threw there). They aren't huge. But 12g wire fit threw it so they can catch some water.

No, when i drive it is not leaking at all, It is just when I've parked over night and it rains.
It is not much, i guess 30cc on the rubber floor mat.
but it also wets the fuse box and surrounding, and that is worrying me a bit to much.:coffee:

cpttuna
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
are the holes in the bottom of your driver door for drainage clear and not clogged? if they are clogged,the water has to go somewhere.

Thomass
06-09-2010, 01:37 AM
The drain-holes are all free.
the water comes from somewhere under the dash, and only if it is parked for a longer time in the rain, not when I'm driving in the rain.
I have checked the windscreen seal too.
two weeks ago i drove the rig to Austria. The rain was pooring out of the sky.
the rig stayed completely dry during this 8 hour drive. I parked in an car park garage, The next morning it was still dry.
But if i parked in the rain, for sure there will be water on the floor of the rig

Today when the rain stops (if it ever stops) I might check the part under the plastic part where the windscreen wipers are mounted.

Thomass
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
this leak was bugging me, to often. So I took away the complete windscreen wiper mechanism, and in the space under need i attached a lamp, so when i looked from the inside, I saw some minor cracks in the sheet metal, richt above where it is always leaking. I coated all the metal sheet with an special epoxy i use to use to coat the inside of fuel tanks.

I hope this solves the problem.

ParadiseXJ
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
this leak was bugging me, to often. So I took away the complete windscreen wiper mechanism, and in the space under need i attached a lamp, so when i looked from the inside, I saw some minor cracks in the sheet metal, richt above where it is always leaking. I coated all the metal sheet with an special epoxy i use to use to coat the inside of fuel tanks.

I hope this solves the problem.

The wiper cowl is a good place to start. My MJ needed to be sealed there after sitting for a year.

If it does not solve the problem consider this. I had a similar leak, couldn't find it. I had the headliner out to fix it. I noticed that water was leaking in at the roof rack screws running along the roof frame and down the A-pillar to the floor.

I took out each rack screw and filled the holes with black RTV. No more leak...at least from that spot, no more mystery leaks.

Thomass
07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The wiper cowl is a good place to start. My MJ needed to be sealed there after sitting for a year.

If it does not solve the problem consider this. I had a similar leak, couldn't find it. I had the headliner out to fix it. I noticed that water was leaking in at the roof rack screws running along the roof frame and down the A-pillar to the floor.

I took out each rack screw and filled the holes with black RTV. No more leak...at least from that spot, no more mystery leaks.

yep, that is a place i never thought of.
I already solved the problem by sealing this wiper-cowl, but to be on the safeside, those roof rack screws, i wil seal also.
Thank you for this location i did not think off

Apexer
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the great info....I have a leak on my passenger side mostly, but it looks like a slight one on drivers side too. If I track it down to a source other than above, I'll post again.

Sneedle Vision
03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
For the OP, I had a similar issue with a '99 and it turned out to be leaking in the door jam. It was sneaking in behind the button that tells you when the door is ajar. It didn't look like it would, but we put the hose on it and it gushed through the kickpanel.

Just a thought.

msmoorenburg
03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Got a sunroof? the drain tubes can get plugged up and it finds another route

Kenny811
04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
My 89 did it!! I used the hose, drove it through the car wash, could never find it!!! Until I took the headliner out, it was leaking from an old roof rack mount hold & the top of the windsheild. The water would run behind the trim & make its way ( some how to the colum ) Then it started on the pass side. Then the rear hatch. Then I scrapped it out and am building a new one!!

xj4life2
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow and I thought they all did that lol lol seriously though it very well could be the drain tube as previously stated but more than likely its the windshield weather stripping allowing the water to progress down the A pillar to the floor. This would be a seepage type leak and water under pressure would not find it. I would get some good 3m weather strip adhesive and gently lift the outside edge of the windshield rubber and run a bead underneath it.

Thomass,U spreekt de Nederlandse rechter?

Wow en ik dacht dat ze gewoon nog waanzinniger was gewoon nog waanzinniger serieus al het heel goed kon worden de afvoerbuis zoals eerder vermeld maar meer dan waarschijnlijk zijn de voorruit weerstrippen laat het water aan de A-stijl tot de vloer. Dit zou een zweet type lek en water onder druk niet zou vinden. IK zou wel een paar goede 3m rubber kleeflaag en til de buitenrand van de voorruit rubber en doe een bolletje eronder.

Kenny811
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Another problem I found on all my jeeps ( XJ's ) the rain gutter at the back hatch. Open the hatch and feel all the goo that gets trapped in there. I cant be sure this was the cause of my leak, maybe from clogs over the years. But I wont rule it out either.