PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case

OrangeXJ
06-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm trying to locate a vibration that starts at about 50. I have replaced the u joints. Today I was crawling around under the Jeep wiggling things and noticed that I could move the transfer case up and down and side to side. I see a rubber mount between the TC cross member and the TC. My Haynes manual says nothing about this mount in regard to removing the TC. Is there supposed to movement there. If not is that mount replaceable?

4.3LXJ
06-06-2010, 11:41 AM
The transmission mount is replaceable. You will have to support the tranny and tcase and drop the cross member to do it.

OrangeXJ
06-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I kind of thought so I saw 2 nuts in the cross member right under the mount.
Strange that the Haynes manual says nothing about un doing those nuts before droping the cross member. Thanks.

4.3LXJ
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Look under the cross member. You will see 4 holes with nuts up inside. Those are the ones to the mount itself. They take a 13mm deep socket.

Mudderoy
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm trying to locate a vibration that starts at about 50. I have replaced the u joints. Today I was crawling around under the Jeep wiggling things and noticed that I could move the transfer case up and down and side to side. I see a rubber mount between the TC cross member and the TC. My Haynes manual says nothing about this mount in regard to removing the TC. Is there supposed to movement there. If not is that mount replaceable?

Maybe I missed it, but with a 4" lift you need a SYE or a 1" transfer case drop. Do you have a transfer case drop?

Have you had the tires moved front to back and re-balanced?

OrangeXJ
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes to all the above. I have a 11/2 TC drop and rotated the tires like you said. I picked up the new mount today the old one is definitely broken. thanks for your help.

OrangeXJ
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Look under the cross member. You will see 4 holes with nuts up inside. Those are the ones to the mount itself. They take a 13mm deep socket.

I see 2 of the nuts. There is another brace that bolts to the cross brace then bolts to the frame rail on the drivers side. I have the new mount and it has 4 studs on it the 2 nuts I can't see look like they will be visable when I remove the brace. Thanks

JENSSEN
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
-Put your jack on the t-case ; support your drivetrain MAKE SURE YOU USE A SUPPLIMENTRY SUPPORT DEVICE (IE JACK STAND)
-remove the 4 bolts that hold the x-member to the rubber mount
-remove the 4 x-member to chassis bolts
-remove the two bolts that fix the mount to transmission
-install the new mount making sure itson the right way as you can put it on backwards
- reverse above instructions and install all removed parts

Should take 2 hours with hand tools 1hr with air (depending on skill)
I would rate this as a difficulty 2 out of 10, if you can change plugs you are good to go

BTW I have build suspensions up to 6" no SYE , NO T-case drop and no vibes,.. if you have more issues PM ME

BTW LOVE THE COLOUR! Orange XJ's look goood!

rguignard
06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
BTW LOVE THE COLOUR! Orange XJ's look goood!

you should see it in person it looks better than in the pics :thumbsup:

OrangeXJ
06-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks guys. Im replacing the mount this weekend. After looking at the new mount the one that's on there is definitely broken. This should fix my vibe problem.

Rene when we going wheelin again?

OrangeXJ
06-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Well changed the mount today it helped the vibration but there is still some there. At 55 as soon as I let off the gas it stops vibrating. Any Ideas?

4.3LXJ
06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
How far is the slip yoke in the tail housing?

OrangeXJ
06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
How far is the slip yoke in the tail housing?

I don't know how far it's in but it sticks out 3 1/4 inches to the center of the u joint. The viberation seems to be coming from the front. I'm going to take the ftont drive shaft out and see what happens.

OrangeXJ
06-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Well found the problem. Took the front shaft out no more vibration and also gone was an annoying noise that is hard to describe. I had changed the front u joint but not the cluster of u joints at the transfer case. So thats next.

OrangeXJ
06-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Replacing the u joints at the TC fixed the problem.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
:cheerleader::banana::banana::banana::cheerleader: