PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure Question

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I was told by my doctor a couple months ago that I had high blood pressure. I'm 30 years old and (was) 199 lbs. The last two years have been my lazy years and I indulged on whatever I felt like eating and it wasn't pretty food. I didn't do any cardio activities or anything to keep in shape and my body started deteriorating. A month ago I was at the doc's for another issue and he told me my BP went higher again, up to 149/93.

How quickly can someone go from 149/93 to, let's say, 133/83? Is it possible to do it in 2.5 weeks? Is that normal? Any harmful effects of dropping BP so quickly over a short period of time?

Voldemort
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I was told by my doctor a couple months ago that I had high blood pressure. I'm 30 years old and (was) 199 lbs. The last two years have been my lazy years and I indulged on whatever I felt like eating and it wasn't pretty food. I didn't do any cardio activities or anything to keep in shape and my body started deteriorating. A month ago I was at the doc's for another issue and he told me my BP went higher again, up to 149/93.

How quickly can someone go from 149/93 to, let's say, 133/83? Is it possible to do it in 2.5 weeks? Is that normal? Any harmful effects of dropping BP so quickly over a short period of time?

I know that repeated rapid increase or decrease in weight and/or BP can be a cause for heart disease.

4.3LXJ
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Mud

High blood pressure is usually the result of plugging up your arteries, or in some cases of a heart that is too strong. But since you haven't been power lifting lately, we can rule that out. There are no bad side effects of dropping blood pressure quickly. It can be done naturally in that amount of time in healthful ways. I personally know of programs that can do that. They do involve a vegan diet for 30 days. In that time you should be able to clean out your arteries and reduce your BP

Mudderoy
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I only ever pay attention to the bottom number, the diastolic. The first number changes so much with excitement, stress, etc... I can lower the bottom number just by relaxing for about 10 to 15 seconds.

When I was 18 I couldn't get a job working construction because my diastolic was 89. I mean I was 18, 6' and about 190 pounds. I think my blood pressure is just naturally high. I'm 50 now and my diastolic is usually around 89. It can be as high as 93, but normally upper 80's. I think this last time it was 83, but I've changed my diet recently.

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Here's the thing, I had a dr's appointment yesterday and the BP dropped to 133/83 and the nurse looked at my file and then was confused cuz it dropped that fast and I also weighed in at 189. She was even more shocked when I told her that I only been exercising for 2 1/2 weeks, not since the last appointment. I told her I literally killed myself the past couple weeks to get somewhat better results for this annual checkup in fear that I would be placed on medication for high BP, like my dad is. (i hate medicine and only take it as a last resort) I just wanted some better results so they knew I was doing something about it but I didn't expect it to drop that much. I'm not well versed in how blood pressure works and what's good or bad so I wasn't sure if it dropping that fast was gonna cause issues or something.

4.3LXJ
06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't worry, It just means it is working. You can get ups and downs just from caffein intake that will change that much. Anxiety will do it too. When I had appendicitis I started with 190/180 and dropped to 123/68 two days later.

Mudderoy
06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Here's the thing, I had a dr's appointment yesterday and the BP dropped to 133/83 and the nurse looked at my file and then was confused cuz it dropped that fast and I also weighed in at 189. She was even more shocked when I told her that I only been exercising for 2 1/2 weeks, not since the last appointment. I told her I literally killed myself the past couple weeks to get somewhat better results for this annual checkup in fear that I would be placed on medication for high BP, like my dad is. (i hate medicine and only take it as a last resort) I just wanted some better results so they knew I was doing something about it but I didn't expect it to drop that much. I'm not well versed in how blood pressure works and what's good or bad so I wasn't sure if it dropping that fast was gonna cause issues or something.

Well I think mine was 93, then on the next visit (a month later) it was 83. Dunno...

Ruinator
06-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Your not supposed diagnose hypertension (high BP) without trending it. You blood pressure is constantly changeing. Running, walking sitting laying, yelling will all atleast tempororily change it.

Mudd is right the lower (diastolic) is more important. That is the constant pressure in your blood vessels. The top number is the pressure per contraction of the heart.
Cardio work is best (I know I need more)

xjmedic4x4
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
hello to all......mostly high blood pressure comes from stress related situation by work or worries. it is one factor our blood pressure goes up or inheritance may do...try to check mannualy and make it check for another one week or 2 weeks. have some bp records with you...this is one basis that they can tell you you are hypertensive...try to go for full check-up, includes blood extraction... sugar check, uric acid, cholesterols all d best ....get some balance diet and excercise.....all d best....

muddeprived
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
hello to all......mostly high blood pressure comes from stress related situation by work or worries. it is one factor our blood pressure goes up or inheritance may do...try to check mannualy and make it check for another one week or 2 weeks. have some bp records with you...this is one basis that they can tell you you are hypertensive...try to go for full check-up, includes blood extraction... sugar check, uric acid, cholesterols all d best ....get some balance diet and excercise.....all d best....

Well i'm pretty stress free and I don't drink caffeine products so my BP should be rather steady. I had my sister (nurse) take my bp again yesterday and it was the same 133/83 so i'm pretty sure it's gonna stay this way and not fluctuate back up to the 140-150's. I wanna see if I can work hard enough to get it down to the 120's and hold steady.