PDA

View Full Version : death wobble i think

lowrider
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
ok i think my jeep may have gotten death wobble now. i have done a rusty's 4.5 lift adjustable upper and lower arms. i have put 10' wide soft 8's on with 33x12.50r15. some times when i hit a bump the steering wheel shakes starting on the pass front. the steering stablizer is only a couple of months old, i got it from 4wheel parts its a pro comp it was about 30ish. i've checked the front end and everything feels tight. help please im stumped. do i need a drop pitman arm and if so how do i measure to see what i have so i can get the right one. rusty's has one for about 50 or so then they have one that's over a 100. i'm at a loss. please any input would help.

alwaysxj
06-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I think it will help with a pic of the front end to tell you what pit man arm you will need...
And what you have is bump steer, because the track bar and drag link are not parallel with each other. In this Rusty's kit did it include a new track bar?
i think a 1" drop or so will be just fine with the 4.5" lift.

Now if you do not know what bump steer is VS death wobble......

Bump steer is when you hit a bump it sends it though the front end and moves around, could be caused by a lot of things but from what i have personally dealt with and seen... is the track bar and drag link not being parallel...

Death wobble will be when you are just driving along usually, at about 25-30 mph the front end will start shacking and you have to slow down, to a complete stop in some cases to get it to stop...
what will cause death wobble? lose or worn parts. not well balanced wheel and tires. alignment could be off, steering stabilizer is bad.

hope this helps out... and like i said take a pic this will help all of us too.
good luck.

lowrider
06-04-2010, 06:47 AM
i'll try to get a pic up. yes the kit kit did come with a new track bar.

4.3LXJ
06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
So let me get this straight. You hit a bump and it just shakes once and quits or does it take a dive to the right or does it start shaking violently and not stop until you stop the vehicle?

MjPioneer
06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
If you have deathwobble, when it starts happening it will be a hard shimmy that quickly turns into a violant violant shake that will 9 times out of 10 require you to slow down to a crawl to get it to stop.
Does the wheel just shimmy shake or is it full on lock to lock? does it go away on its own? What speed does this happen at exactly? Death Wobble is notorious for happening at cruising speeds (30-45)

lowrider
06-09-2010, 09:36 AM
ok i think its bump steer. when im going along and hit a bump the front end and steering wheel shakes, not to the point where i have to slow way down.

alwaysxj
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
ok i think its bump steer. when im going along and hit a bump the front end and steering wheel shakes, not to the point where i have to slow way down.

check all the bushings on the steering... put some greese in them and if it comes out them replace..