PDA

View Full Version : Noise! Lots of Noise! Can't figure it out!

brianwy77
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a 1990 XJ with 8 inches of lift, i have installed a slip yoke eliminator. I have it on Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. When i drive down the road it's so noisey that I can't hardly stand it. I also have some vibration, that is bugging the crap out of me. I am new to the world of lifts, I would like to beable to drive down the road in with out having to wear ear plugs.

Could some one give me some ideas on what it could be, should I lower the transfer case 1 inch, could it the the tires? Or wheel berings in the front end. I need help!

alwaysxj
06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
well i would say a lot of it will be the tires, i have drove with them and they are loud.
It looks like you do have a long arm kit on it so that is good, with all that lift.
i just had a 88 with a 9.5" lift and a long arm kit and it was loud as hell. i would say get used to it if you want it that big.
what kind of noise is it that you are hearing?

modestmar00xj
02-15-2011, 02:25 PM
hmm i would deff. recommend the 1' trans drop!! check the wheel bearing, front and rear driveshafts/u-joints. BUT Alwaysxj is right though, what kind of noise are you hearing? from the front, rear, when you brake, turn, what speed, does it feel like its in the middle of the jeep, ECT. all that matters. let us know.

cantab27
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
mud tires = noise on the road , front drive shaft for vibration ???..what size tires ?

pics ??????

Weldmen
02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Make a video or audio file and post it. I wanna hear it.
Thank You
P.S.
Take a photo of the rear drive line you installed too.

PolarXJ
02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
:popcorn: waiting for the type of noise/s :D

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Did you tip the pinion on the rear differential up when you put in the SYE? It needs to look like this. A straight shot with no u joint flex at the pinion.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/cv_angle.gif

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0295.jpg

Tune into the XJTalk.com show tomorrow night and we will cover this in detail. X2 on the tires by the way. XJs have no rubber body mounts to filter out road and tire noise so it can get loud.