PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise when turning wheel.

Mudderoy
05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Well looks like 157k is about as far as you can go with stock front end parts, at least when you've been running 32" tires for 2 or 3 years.

I'm getting a popping noise occasionally when I turn the steering wheel.

I got up under the front end a few minutes ago and had my daughter turn the steering wheel. I think it is either where the track bar attaches to the mount on the frame (the ball joint), or it where the pitman arm attaches. I have a stronger feeling it is the track bar.

Keep in mind none of this stuff is anything but stock. Anyone have any edumacated ideas? I'd rather not just replace everything at one go.

rguignard
05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
it needs more mud :smiley-laughing021:

96xj
05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
i have the same problem , but I have all new suspension parts , i think it happens more in reverse , someone tole me that they think it may be the front axle that goes to the wheel hub the spline are jumping , i dont think so I also have new hubs, i would like to know i really haven't looked into it yet so i really dont know

Mudderoy
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
i have the same problem , but I have all new suspension parts , i think it happens more in reverse , someone tole me that they think it may be the front axle that goes to the wheel hub the spline are jumping , i dont think so I also have new hubs, i would like to know i really haven't looked into it yet so i really dont know

Mine makes the noise sitting still. All I have to do is turn the steering wheel.

96xj
05-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Mine makes the noise sitting still. All I have to do is turn the steering wheel.

i would check the power steering gear box

PrincessoftheMud
05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Mine did this and it got annoying especially when turning to the left. The popping would also happen even when it wasn't moving. My best friend changed out my LCA's which were bad and it quit.

Jennifer
'92XJ

cantab27
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
long shot muddie, but mine would pop when i turned steering wheel when sitting still on driveway..only on left side by memory...had slight moverment here
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image061.jpg
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image060.jpg

tighted the two bolts up and all good...........long shot:thumbsup:

Rysam
05-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds like the trackbar bracket at the frame. tighten the shit outta it and carry on.
mine is starting to pop and I can see clean metal where the bracket is moving. I'll git er tight tomorrow. If you are looking at a replacement, IRO has a decent deal on HD trackbar and bracket for under 2 bills.

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
long shot muddie, but mine would pop when i turned steering wheel when sitting still on driveway..only on left side by memory...had slight moverment here
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image061.jpg
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image060.jpg

tighted the two bolts up and all good...........long shot:thumbsup:

That's what I thought it was at first. They were tight though. Close!

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Mine did this and it got annoying especially when turning to the left. The popping would also happen even when it wasn't moving. My best friend changed out my LCA's which were bad and it quit.

Jennifer
'92XJ

Thanks. Before I started looking at it I thought it might be the control arms. The lowers are beefy replacements, but the uppers are stamped factory. I didn't see any movement on mine.

default83
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
my jeep will pop when the control arms are loose which happens alot when i tighten them up it goes away. just a thought.

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM
my jeep will pop when the control arms are loose which happens alot when i tighten them up it goes away. just a thought.

I'll try it. They haven't been tightened since they were installed. I was thinking about checking everything this evening when I get home. I went ahead and greased all the fittings last night.

alwaysxj
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
i have this same problem on my 01, i think it is my track bar the bushing on it is falling apart. i would drop the control arms down if you cannot see the bushings good with them bolted up. and check the track bar bushings and the pitman arm aswell. i need to order my bushings so i can get it fixed. let me know what you find.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Muddy, I vote ball joints. I have a pop to when I back up from a stop. Haven't found it yet but I think probably lower ball joint.

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Muddy, I vote ball joints. I have a pop to when I back up from a stop. Haven't found it yet but I think probably lower ball joint.

Maybe, although I only get it when turning the steering wheel.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe, although I only get it when turning the steering wheel.

That is my point exactly. The noise would be coming from something involved with the motion of the parts.

Rysam
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
If its not the trackbar bracket I would agree with the ball joints. Im trying to think of what else would pop on a side to side motion that you would get from turning the wheel. My UCA's clunked when braking or I hit a bump, the ball joints popped while turning or hitting bumps (and DW at 55) and the trackbar pops when I turn while not moving....

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
That is my point exactly. The noise would be coming from something involved with the motion of the parts.

Okay, well you said backing up and when I back up I'm using going straight back and not turning the wheels to the side.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Okay, well you said backing up and when I back up I'm using going straight back and not turning the wheels to the side.

That is what mine does. But it is not getting worse even after bashing it Sunday. So I am not worried about mine. I was just using it as an example. The way I am looking at it is that if you operate the steering, the popping you hear in yours probably involves some part that is in motion. My thinking is that a ball joint is at the top of the list. Track bar at the second position but you are not getting any death wobble so it is probably OK.

Thomass
05-29-2010, 02:18 AM

Do i see a "crack" just Above the right top bold ??

To me this looks bad,

Thomass

cantab27
05-29-2010, 04:59 PM
no crack there thomo, go have a look at yours , its just the seam of inner guard :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thomass
05-30-2010, 03:49 AM
go have a look at yours:

I went on my knees to look at it, and there was the same.
glad that I did, I noticed that the shock was missing a bold and nut on the bottom end :(

Thomass

cantab27
05-30-2010, 01:30 PM
all good tomo....... carry on

Thomass
05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
My best friend changed out my LCA's
Jennifer
'92XJ

Please what "LCA" stands for ??

4.3LXJ
05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Thomas. That stands for lower control arms.

Thomass
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Thomas. That stands for lower control arms.

Thank you

Ill keep learning:)

Mudderoy
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you

Ill keep learning:)

Actually I wish people would put the full names at least the first time they mention the acronym in their post. ex: LCA (Lower Control Arm)

I always try to do that. Possible exceptions WTF...

alwaysxj
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Actually I wish people would put the full names at least the first time they mention the acronym in their post. ex: LCA (Lower Control Arm)

I always try to do that. Possible exceptions WTF...

Hey mud what does WTF..... mean:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Oh now i get it "what the fish":rotfl2::rotfl2:

alwaysxj
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
so did you ever find out what the noise is...

i had my wife turn the wheel for me so i can look at the front end, and it looks like something is messed up in my steering box.

Thomass
06-04-2010, 06:02 AM
My rig, makes a similar sound, only when I turn from strait to the left, and when I start using my rig in the morning, the first 10 minutes ( many turns to leave the city) it is first very weak, and becomes louder after time passes.
I have re-lubricate all of the ball joints with appropriated grease.

for now I just accept the sound as a reminder :coffee:

Capndave
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
i had a problem on my last cherokee that wa like this and it was my trac bar where it mounts to the axle it would pop so i just reefed on it to get it tighter and it went away

Mudderoy
06-07-2010, 01:45 AM
i had a problem on my last cherokee that wa like this and it was my trac bar where it mounts to the axle it would pop so i just reefed on it to get it tighter and it went away

Well I suspect the track bar but the sound is coming from the driver's side. If I understood your description correctly it sounds like it was on the passenger side.

Mudderoy
06-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Oh and I hear it when the wheel drops down a inch (backing out of the garage) and when I turn to the left at slow mph (like 5 or 10 mph).

shelbybrowndog
06-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Mudderoy, I know this is an old post but did you figure this out? I have this problem now and I thought it was quick disconnect.

Mudderoy
06-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Mudderoy, I know this is an old post but did you figure this out? I have this problem now and I thought it was quick disconnect.

I still hear some popping but rarely and I think it's coming from the back. I think it was the old ball joints.