PDA

View Full Version : transmission shudder

Thomass
05-23-2010, 06:25 AM
today I was reading an article and the used the words "transmission shudder".
they (the article) did not explain what it is they assumed that the reader did understand.

Well, I do not :confused:, because I'm Dutch :hmmmm2: and my English vocabulary is not as yours, so please can some one explain this word, what it is and what it cause...

Thomass

Mudderoy
05-23-2010, 07:14 AM
today I was reading an article and the used the words "transmission shudder".
they (the article) did not explain what it is they assumed that the reader did understand.

Well, I do not :confused:, because I'm Dutch :hmmmm2: and my English vocabulary is not as yours, so please can some one explain this word, what it is and what it cause...

Thomass

Was the article talking about a standard transmission? When I hear the word shudder in conjunction with a mechanical thing I think of a rapid start and stop feeling. With a standard transmission I would think that improper clutch engaging would cause the feeling of "shudder".

4.3LXJ
05-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Thomass

Shudder in a transmission would refer to the rapid grab and release of a clutch in either the bell housing on a standard transmission or in the clutches or band of an automatic. Generally this applies to standard transmission clutches when engaging. Automatics generally just slip.