PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Shooting the Performance Distributor 4.0KIT install

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey Muddy.. I am running that same Ign. Kit on my Lerado it work's very well.But you need to make you a heat shield for your Ign. Coil..All of those Coil's that are mounted on the side of the engine block get too hot. Here's what i did I found a piece of corrugated rain gutter about 5 in wide and 4 in tall And after i installed my cowl piece onto my hood i had to remove some of that heat insulation where i cut out the hole for the cool air to flow. I wrappped that corrugated piece 2 time's with that heat Insulation and loosened the mounting brackett to the Ign. coil and slipped that heat shield right down in there and tightened everything back up. Work's like a charm! I apologize to everyone for not posting any picture's I don't have a camera and i don't have any money...

Mudderoy
04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I recorded data driving in to work this morning. My "Check Engine" light came on yesterday, so after getting to work I checked the code. I had 4 of them.

P0300
P0302
P0304
P0305

Basically they are all mis-fires. 302 is cylinder 2, 304 is cylinder 4 and 305 is cylinder 5. So either the cables are all starting to fail, or I have a bad rotor, rotor cap, or the head gasket is REALLY going bad! :D

Mudderoy
04-28-2010, 09:21 AM
I received an e-mail from Jeepin' Outfitters yesterday. The goodies have been shipped!

UPS scheduled for delivery on Monday May 3rd.

Ruinator
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
You consider an MSD box? :driving: I will always have one on a jeep. Better spark, better burn. Might compliment the larger injectors. Also I really like the turbo city air tube. High in the engine compartment away from any water. With hood vents I dont think heat is a concern

My .02

Mike
:popcorn:

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
You consider an MSD box? :driving: I will always have one on a jeep. Better spark, better burn. Might compliment the larger injectors. Also I really like the turbo city air tube. High in the engine compartment away from any water. With hood vents I dont think heat is a concern

My .02

Mike
:popcorn:

No because the mpg write up I read used the Performance Distributors solution. I've seen the MSD stuff, looks nice, but frankly I really thought it was more a street racing mod. Makes sense it would work in our application as well though.

I really want a snorkle, so I hate to spend $200 for one then $400 for the other. I guess I could always switch back and forth depending on the application. Lord knows I'll be needing the mpg more than the protection against hydo-lock.

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
wow thanks i will have to get this for the drive to moab.{if i have the cash}

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Muddy i'm not recommending a chip but do you have a stage 1 or stage 2 tuning chip on your Xj...

JRW7072009
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Mudderoy have you pulled out the silencer from your intake? I did this and did a drop in K&N filter it seemed to help a little.

http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSilencer.htm