PDA

View Full Version : Blinkers not Blinking

B2XJ
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey This is a really silly question. I believe that I need to change my flasher relay out to get my blinkers/flasher to work again. All bulbs are good. I have search and I honestly cannot find where this is located. I do not have the scamatics that are usually found on the box. The manual didnt really tell me anything. I have done a google search and cannot find a straight answer. I have tried the part stores and they didnt have anything for me as well. So I'm hoping this is a simple resolution. If I'm on the wrong track please let me know. Any help from you all would greatly be appriciated. P.S. I have check my blinker fluid, so need to tell me that.:rotfl2:

troys96xj
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Try takeing the air box out.there is a wire harness under it that gets all nasty.Pull it apart and spray electrical cleaner in it,then put di-electric grease in it and put back together. It worked on my 96 1.5 years ago and still good.

ParadiseXJ
05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
The parts store didn't have a flasher?? What parts store is that?

Fuse block under dash, no?

Thomass
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
ma by this is what your looking for.
i do believe it is from 88 to the 90s
Thom

Hmm, how to attach an pdf ??

B2XJ
05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks everybody. they do have flashers, relays, etc. but my questions is which one is it. i have check under the dash and i have accessed the fuses and relays. There are two black relays and a few fuses. I just dont know what i need. I went to autozone and checkers. they told me what it could be and where to start but they couldnt tell which fuse/relay it is. like i say its probably a lot simpler than what i'm making it but i'm really just looking to see what the relay or fuse is and where it is located. Thanks again.

Thomass
05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I made an JPG, because the PDF i couldn't place here
Thomass

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/fuse01.jpg

B2XJ
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Thomass Thank you very much! I printed this off today and will check things out over the weekend. Thanks alot to all that posted. I do appriciate it.

ParadiseXJ
05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
On my XJ and the MJ that fuse block is rotated 90* to the left with the 5.5A wiper curcuit breaker at the bottom...so the flashers are lower left and upper right...the blinkers being the lower left...but that's just mine (88 & 90). I've never looked at how it's oriented on any other Jeep.

4.3LXJ
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I have tried the part stores and they didnt have anything for me as well. So I'm hoping this is a simple resolution. If I'm on the wrong track please let me know. Any help from you all would greatly be appriciated. P.S. I have check my blinker fluid, so need to tell me that.:rotfl2:

My first thought is to find a real parts store instead of someplace like Autozone that pays low wages to kids willing to work for less.

B2XJ
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
haha.. you are absolutly right LXJ that is why i'm turning here for advise. I thought it was going to be a simple "unplug fuse/flasher put new one in" type of deal. I'm sure when i really get to dig in i will find out what's going on. I dont know what happened but the fuse scamatic deal is missing on both the fuse box under the hood and under the dash. So makes it a little harder to find what i'm looking for. Thanks again all!

Rysam
05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
haha.. you are absolutly right LXJ that is why i'm turning here for advise. I thought it was going to be a simple "unplug fuse/flasher put new one in" type of deal. I'm sure when i really get to dig in i will find out what's going on. I dont know what happened but the fuse scamatic deal is missing on both the fuse box under the hood and under the dash. So makes it a little harder to find what i'm looking for. Thanks again all!

the flasher is the big round plug. it will have 2 or 3 prongs. I've seen them in a few colors yellow, baby blue and metal. it will just pull out, take it to napa and say to the guy at the counter..I need this. take that back to your rig and plug er' in. its a 2 minute fix.

it should look similar to this..
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:SG7hFSQtXovS3M:http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/SF552.jpg

4.3LXJ
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
While you are at it, get a "heavy duty" flasher. They will still blink with only one bulb working, or blink properly while towing a trailer