PDA

View Full Version : torque converter

Thomass
05-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Is it truth that the torque converter will be fed with oil from the transmission.?
Thomass

4.3LXJ
05-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Yes. That is the way they work. There are little metal ridges in there that are like the vanes in a jet engine. The flywheel side propels the oil in there against the transmission side. That oil hitting the opposite set of vanes is what gives the torque converter its slip. Now there is also the option of lockup that locks it down solid for cruising in 4th gear.

Thomass
05-19-2010, 06:21 AM
So if I did read and understand right, the lack of power, (engine revs up but it takes a wile before the rig respond) is an tranny oil matter.
Good to here that there is no need for replacing the torque converter.
thomass

Thank you for this answer

JeepinOutfitters
05-19-2010, 09:39 AM
So if I did read and understand right, the lack of power, (engine revs up but it takes a wile before the rig respond) is an tranny oil matter.
Good to here that there is no need for replacing the torque converter.
thomass

Thank you for this answer

What you're describing sounds like the tranission is slipping which could be a far worse problem than just replacing the torque converter. Or it might just be an issue with the fluid. Either way I'd change out the fluid a couple of times and see if that makes any improvement. The AW4 is pretty hard to kill, but it can happen.