PDA

View Full Version : Welcome gwayms!!!

xjjeepthing
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi gwayms, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

Please take a few moments and tell us more about you and your Jeep.
BTW, we love pictures, hint hint.

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

gwayms
05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, new to the site. Looks pretty cool. I have a 2001 XJ. I just installed a 4.5 rough country with 32 BFG's. Still trying to work out some of the kinks. Hopefully can get it off road real soon. Here is a before and after pic. I think it looks alot better.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey guys, new to the site. Looks pretty cool. I have a 2001 XJ. I just installed a 4.5 rough country with 32 BFG's. Still trying to work out some of the kinks. Hopefully can get it off road real soon. Here is a before and after pic. I think it looks alot better.

Thanks for joining. What problems are you having? Did you go with the full leaf replacement, or AAL? I've had my Rough Country 4.5" for about 3 years now, love it.

gwayms
05-13-2010, 09:50 AM
There seems to be alot of creeking and noise coming from the front end. A friend of a friend did the install at his shop and Im not sure he did a very good job. I just order an adjustable track bar and pitmam arm yesterday and need to get in aligned when that gets in.
I have the full leaf pack. The back is very stiff but I assume that will get better with time.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
There seems to be alot of creeking and noise coming from the front end. A friend of a friend did the install at his shop and Im not sure he did a very good job. I just order an adjustable track bar and pitmam arm yesterday and need to get in aligned when that gets in.
I have the full leaf pack. The back is very stiff but I assume that will get better with time.

I don't want to alarm you but I would get the installation document out and go over each step to make sure things were done correctly. Then I would even go as far as contacting Rough Country and describe the issue to them.

I had zero noise after the installation. Well actually I think I had a little noise from the AAL but that was from the rear.

ol"blue
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/DLHTURBO/10mnc4m.gif

gwayms
05-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah I may have to do that this weekend. I knew I should have just done it my self or had 4 wheel parts do it. they just wanted to much money for the installation.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah I may have to do that this weekend. I knew I should have just done it my self or had 4 wheel parts do it. they just wanted to much money for the installation.

I had a buddy of mine that owns a shop do mine. I was there during the whole thing watching and helping. I'm wondering if the little metal tabs that hold the coil springs down are on, or on there correctly. The spring has to be rotated into the correct position.

Also you might just need to use a floor jack and raise and lower the front end to "hear" where the noise is coming from.

Just curious, how much did they want to install the lift?

gwayms
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Someone else on another site told me about the tabs on the coils. The right one was loose yesterday. But the left is the side making the noise. I just downloaded the Instructions from Rough Country, Im gonna go over it this weekend.
my friends friend did it for $300, 4 wheel parts wanted $700.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Someone else on another site told me about the tabs on the coils. The right one was loose yesterday. But the left is the side making the noise. I just downloaded the Instructions from Rough Country, Im gonna go over it this weekend.
my friends friend did it for $300, 4 wheel parts wanted $700.

The transfer case drop was installed, right?

gwayms
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
yeah they installed it.

tbone
05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello and welcome from TN. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello and :welcome: to xjtalk from CA

This creeking noise you get. Is it from flexing it a lot or just pulling into the driveway or just all the time. One more question, it has poly bushings in the joints right?

gwayms
05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys.
I actually took it to 4 wheel parts yesterday, they did an inspection and found all kind of problems. Shock washer were missing, track bar installed wrong, rear shackles hand tight. (thats what happens when someone knows someone thatwill hook you up). So they fixed everything, put my new adjustable track bar and drop pitman arm on and aligned it. It rides so much better and handles like a new jeep.
I still get a little creeking when i back out of driveway or on slow turn but nothing like before.
4.3xlj, im notsure about the bushing type, I will have to look that up.
About to go play in the mud for the first time, test it out.

N1TZU
05-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello gwayms,Welcome to XJT from Maine.....Glad you had the jeep inspected....These kind of mods we do to our jeeps have to be done right...Thats why I did all the work myself...If someone did not know how ,or did not have the tools or time....I would highly recommend that person having a competent mechanic do the job...Unfortunately it can cost more than what some people can pay....But remember if the mods aren't done right it could get someone killed...anyways have fun 4wheeling and be safe...

4.3LXJ
05-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The reason I asked about bushings was sometimes a creaking noise is just a poly bushing that needs a little grease. But glad you got it straightened out,

gwayms
05-17-2010, 09:40 AM
yeah im still getting some creeking and i think it may be bushings. But it drives a 100% better, should have just had them do it the first time.
Took it off road yesterday for the first time. The thing performed awesome, was very impressed.