PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Rusty's Offroad?

Mudderoy
05-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I made a joke at Rusty's Offroad expense a little earlier. I've never owned a Rusty's product I've only read negative reviews. Based on these reviews (which could be totally B.S.) I've decided it wasn't worth me risking my $$ or my time to put on take off and replace their stuff.

My only dealing with Rusty's was when I was shopping for my 4.56 gears. Their prices were in line with the best price I could find, but the shipping was HUGE and I didn't buy from them because of it. Seems like it was $75 to $100 to ship 2 ring and pinions, and 2 master rebuild kits.

Anyway I thought it might make for a good fair shake to put up a poll and see what you guys thought of Rusty's. I know it's irritating to have people make fun of something you own. It's like people are making fun of you, which isn't the case when I joke, but still this gives you a chance to be heard.

Please vote accurately so we can get a good idea.

4.3LXJ
05-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I am in the never bought anything from them category. I have read some posts from happy campers and some from crappy hampers. All in all, the complaints seem to vary with time from one product to another. So I would guess he just has problems with foreign suppliers or something. But I must say that I might end up buying some front coils from them someday. I need to see how these RE coils flex first. I have been keeping my Jeep light and so higher spring rates affect me more.

alwaysxj
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
i have never had anything from them. but i do know a couple of people that live in my area that have some of Rusty's stuff and they have now replaced it. it seems like they have problems with the track bars and the long arm kits. the people that i know both broke the track bar in two and they both broke a long arm. just going off of that seeing one of them in person i would not buy them. but that is just me.
i like Rubicon Express but right now i have a tera flex long arm on my jeep and it has been good so far.

rguignard
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
im on the ive read to many bad things about him and rusty's offroad to buy andthing from them :thumbdown:

DETOURS
05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Wait...............wadd he jist sae? :rotfl2:

codertimt
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Didn't vote, because none of the options exactly applied. My reason for not purchasing from Rusty's was, like Mudderoy, the shipping. Prices look good at first, and then $120+ for shipping a lift kit. RC shipping was ~$60 for a similar kit and I ended up going with Zone Offroad with a free shipping offer...

UKJeepThang
05-12-2010, 03:07 PM
im on the ive read to many bad things about him and rusty's offroad to buy andthing from them :thumbdown:

I'm the same. I've never bought anything from Rusty's but heard too many negatives re service and product quality to actually give them a go. I did a lot of research on all the providers when I bought my lift. Not only did I want a quality product but I also wanted good service if anything wasn't right.

I got more bad opinions than good opinions with Rusty's and more good opinions than bad ones with Rubicon Express who I bought from in the end.

That was 3 years agoand I'm still hearing bad vibes on Rusty's today

firehawk
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I've had Rustys parts for about 4 years now. The coils, and leaf packs, and control arms have been fine but..... I WOULD NOT buy another of his HD trackbar setups. The TB end snapped off on me last winter, luckly I was only "wheeling":D in a McDonalds parking lot when it did!:smiley-gen165: I have wheeled the Jeep a couple of times, nothing extreme since it IS my DD, so I was supprised/pi$$ed the end snapped in two.

I suppose I won't buy anything else from him because of the TB issue and the outragous shipping he charges.

LostSoul
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I voted
No - I've never owned Rusty's parts, but I've read to many negative things.
you need
No - I've never owned Rusty's parts, but My friends have broke their stuff and rusty dosent care to fix or replace anything.

TeXJ
05-16-2010, 12:20 AM
when rusty first started it was better, then from i've read things started picking up and some bad distributers, then they couldnt keep up with the demand, The last i heard he was using a different supplier and such. but like others I've heard to many bad things about him. Rusty's and Procomp(procrap) I wont use. The only ProComp part i have is a steering stabilizer from them, because they have stiff shocks lol

If you want a great trackbar, TnT's is really good, i got there Tbar and mount.

BlueXJ
05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: Bad looking welds and poor penetration.

drakan1908
06-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I have the TC skid, the gas tank skid, and the double shear track bar and bracket. I would not hesitate to buy from Rusty again. When I installed my track bar I went with the adjustable and the TRE end. I had a noise in the front end so I thought the OEM frame bracket had worn so I bought the upgrade. When I went to install the bracket and the new end the end he sent me was to small. I called and talked to Rusty, he pulled me up on the computer and realized he sent the wrong one. He then sent me the new one next day at no charge and also sent me a label to return the wrong one. I have run this trackbar for 2 yrs with absolutley no problem. I am going to buy my upper control arms from him next

Mudderoy
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I have the TC skid, the gas tank skid, and the double shear track bar and bracket. I would not hesitate to buy from Rusty again. When I installed my track bar I went with the adjustable and the TRE end. I had a noise in the front end so I thought the OEM frame bracket had worn so I bought the upgrade. When I went to install the bracket and the new end the end he sent me was to small. I called and talked to Rusty, he pulled me up on the computer and realized he sent the wrong one. He then sent me the new one next day at no charge and also sent me a label to return the wrong one. I have run this trackbar for 2 yrs with absolutley no problem. I am going to buy my upper control arms from him next

Thank you. I love hearing about vendors taking care of their customers. This is the way it should be.

TeXJ
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
When rusty was doing it, he did really well. When the business got too big, things went to crap.

Voldemort
06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I bought my Rusty's front coils and fixed short arms used and except for the powder coating they have done their job well and I plan to give them my business again.

may pop
06-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I bought small parts I need quickly and they were there fast. I did buy a track bar and it didnt seen to line up very good so I never used it. All in all I would buy again.
Ron

Mudderoy
03-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is what turned me off to Rusty's long ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANIqq8mOFw

According to this Rusty's heavy duty track bar broke at 30 mph.

LizardRunner
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I have heard that "Rusty's is ok but you can find better for less" more times than I can count, all from dedicated rock crawlers around here.

BigJeepBigJeep
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I have nothing but rusty's stuff, and have zero complaints.

phillyxj570
03-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I saw that video the other day somewhere when someone asked about their TB. People talk s**t about the tb all the time but its not the tb that breaks its the tre. So maybe its not Rusty's TB quality, maybe its just the quality of the tre's he uses. I do not have any Rusty's products, but I was thinking about getting his steering setup.

may pop
03-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Fast shipping and sent correct parts the first time. No problem with them at all. I would NOT get a track bar from them though due to many negatave revues . Always helpfull on the phone a good vendor in my old eyes.
Ron
PS I have bought from them many times.

XJ Rat
03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
A couple weeks ago Extreme 4x4 did a section about Rusty's plant. They design, build and ship their major parts right here in the USA. But, I am positive they buy things like TRE's and gears from distributors.

I would rather support a company that manufactures here in the USA, rather than a company who gets their manufacturing done in China or India. But, that is just me. Besides, Rusty's just built a new plant. So they must be doing something right.

Check out their website http://rustysoffroad.com

TeXJ
03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
A couple weeks ago Extreme 4x4 did a section about Rusty's plant. They design, build and ship their major parts right here in the USA. But, I am positive they buy things like TRE's and gears from distributors.

I would rather support a company that manufactures here in the USA, rather than a company who gets their manufacturing done in China or India. But, that is just me. Besides, Rusty's just built a new plant. So they must be doing something right.

Check out their website http://rustysoffroad.com

That's why i have TnT trackbar, made here, and Rubicon Express, made here. RE is under "reorganization" right now. so...

cherokeewrecker
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
All of the parts that I've got on my jeep are Rusty's (well almost everything besides pitman arm): adj. LCA's, coils, my AAL's, and I got his HD track bar set up. So far everything looks good and nothings broken yet, lift has been in for a year now, track bar has been in since december if i remember right. So we will see. So far I'm happy with the service, and the parts.

toebee97
03-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Here is what turned me off to Rusty's long ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANIqq8mOFw

According to this Rusty's heavy duty track bar broke at 30 mph.
WOW. That's a dealbreaker for me. I was considering buying the track bar and control arms for my next lift, but not now. Thanks Tony.

Sent from my CyanogenMod7 Captivate

Mudderoy
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
WOW. That's a dealbreaker for me. I was considering buying the track bar and control arms for my next lift, but not now. Thanks Tony.

Sent from my CyanogenMod7 Captivate

Someone mentioned it was the Tie Rod End that broke (TRE), so maybe it isn't a Rusty's part failure. I wonder where the TRE came from, and what stresses caused it to fail like this.

Before you go with Rusty's have a serious look at Andy's Track Bar, http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/

phillyxj570
03-19-2011, 05:01 PM
If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to buy a track bar form ironman4x4fab. I called and talked to him about his track bar not to long ago. We were on the phone for a good 45 mins. The best customer service I have ever experienced in any type of business.

Mudderoy
03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to buy a track bar form ironman4x4fab. I called and talked to him about his track bar not to long ago. We were on the phone for a good 45 mins. The best customer service I have ever experienced in any type of business.

Yep Andy and Mark (detoursusa.com) both will carry on a conversation a long time, and it's all useful information too! I am proud to have both their Jeep parts on my XJ.

XJ Rat
03-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Yep, this is exactly why my TJ had 2 Tom Woods driveshafts in it. I was looking for the rubber seal for a CV joint on the stock front driveshaft. Several off road shops and local driveshaft shops said that was a dealer only part. Stealership would only sell the complete joint. Called TW driveshafts, Tom answered the phone. He gave me the Spicer part number and told me where I could buy these.