PDA

View Full Version : what will inform me here

Thomass
05-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Good day to you all,

Now the engine and mechanical parts of mi rig are acceptable, i have to concentrate to the electrical side of the dash.
I do have an 1989 XJ standard without a tacho but with an big fuel-gauge.
On the left is an cluster with information and warning lights. (it contains also the orange light for 4WD it is the only one who lights up).
Can someone please explain to me what light belongs to what function.

i can not find anything about this..

Thomass

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Thomas

All those idiot lights on the left were to my knowledge wired up for the deluxe packages. I had a 85 Laredo that had them wired up with all the sensors. It would tell me if the washer fluid was low, tranny fluid was low, low coolant and a few more I can't remember. But you have to have all the sensors with the wiring for these to work. If you pull the cluster out and the bulbs are missing, it is a very good chance you never had this option.

Thomass
05-09-2010, 08:48 PM
there are only 2 bulbs in it, the handbrake light and the 4WD.
there must be an indicator that the ignition is on, or am i thinking wrong.
some times when i wait for an red light, the engine will stall. because this engine is now very quiet i do not notice this.

Thomass

BlueXJ
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
There is only the seatbelt light when you first turn the key but you may have a oil pressure light since you have the large fuel gauge. That is the only warning light as far as I can remember with that dash.

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 09:52 PM
there are only 2 bulbs in it, the handbrake light and the 4WD.
there must be an indicator that the ignition is on, or am i thinking wrong.
some times when i wait for an red light, the engine will stall. because this engine is now very quiet i do not notice this.

Thomass

The check engine light indicates the ignition is on.

ParadiseXJ
05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/chasdwitt/007.jpg

4x4 light, brake warning light (parking brake on, low fluid light), shift point (reccommended shift point by RPM) light on a 5-speed. There is also a maintenence light, on a mileage timer (removed).

Thomass
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Wel, that means i have to invent an other solution.
I think i use the D+ terminal of the alternator, hook it up to one of the unused indicator-lights in that cluster.
thank you all for thinking with me

Thomass

4.3LXJ
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Thomass

Do you have an idiot light for the battery or a volt meter. If you have the idiot light you already have it. If not wire from the alternator to a light and then to the battery. When off, current goes through the idiot light and it lights up. When the engine runs the currents cancel each other.

Thomass
05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Thomass

Do you have an idiot light for the battery or a volt meter. If you have the idiot light you already have it. If not wire from the alternator to a light and then to the battery. When off, current goes through the idiot light and it lights up. When the engine runs the currents cancel each other.

This is what i am intend to do today.
My dash has of course the odometer, a very big fuel gauge (probably bigger than the gas tank:lolsign:) an oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge and a volt meter.and in the left under corner a low fuel light.

I was just in the local hardware store to buy some wire, heat shrinking tubes.

i hope it will be installed within the hour. course I have to work to :coffee: making polo-shirts for an local pub and deliver it today (deadline)

Thomass
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
This last idea was theoretical a good taught, But as all other humans, i also make small mistakes.
This small mistake, I better refer as a forgettable, has destroyed my instrument cluster :(
Because i had to solder some wires in the cluster area, I used a Euro as a solder bred, to protect the plastic parts.
And as you all know (and understand) when you drive a Jeep, you know that it will cost money, so a count less or more is no issue. So I forgot to remove this Euro.
Making a test drive to "car-bar" to get me some fuel, ended up with a lot of smoke coming out of the dash.

To hide my stupidity I ordered a new (used) dash instrument cluster from a newer rig.
that should solve also the light issue.

4.3LXJ
05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
If you get one with a tachometer your problem will be solved

Thomass
05-19-2010, 03:59 AM
yep, i did order a used one, and yes, this was a good idea.
now i do nit need an external tacho. I enjoy this.

Thank you all for thinking with me (even if it was on a distance:coffee:)

Weldmen
12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
To my knowledge, you will only have the 3 lights on that panel if you have full gages. Oil pressure, volts, and so on. :confused: