PDA

View Full Version : Treadwright Guard Dog Mud Terrains.

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I decided to ease away from the rough swampers and get something smoother for the jeep so I can enjoy driving it. I've been eyeballing treadwright mud terrains for a couple years now and decided to pull the trigger and get some.

I paid $478 shipped for four 265/75/16's, which are 32x10.5. Not a bad deal at all IMO considering it costs $700-$900 for 32's in 15" flavor.

I ordered on Tuesday and got em Saturday, but only three tires. One got left behind at Fedex in Arizona so it should be here by Tuesday or so. I hate fedex.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0176.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0177.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0178.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0179.jpg

They measured out to be exactly 32" tall unmounted. I requested Load Range C tires, which is the primary reason for choosing treadwright. There are hardly any mud terrains in 16's that are load range C. Treadwright offers these in C, D, or E but your casings are limited in the C-range to Michelin or Bridgestone. I ended up with Michelin casings, which is fine by me. They are in near perfect condition.

I'll have pictures of them mounted as soon as I get the 4th tire.

:pee: fedex

:rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Michelin carcasses, nice. Those should last along time. :thumbsup:

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Michelin carcasses, nice. Those should last along time. :thumbsup:

Are they any different from like bfg or goodyear carcasses?

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Are they any different from like bfg or goodyear carcasses?

Michelin is a company that goes for milage. Part of this is a flexible sidewall. So, these are not rock tires, which I assume is what the swampers are for. I ran Michelins on my XJ and loved them. I use them on my cars too. Great tires. As far as I am concerned, you made a great choice.

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Michelin is a company that goes for milage. Part of this is a flexible sidewall. So, these are not rock tires, which I assume is what the swampers are for. I ran Michelins on my XJ and loved them. I use them on my cars too. Great tires. As far as I am concerned, you made a great choice.

The swampers are gone. i sold em locally and used that money to get these tires. I don't do rocks, just forrest and mud trails. It's good to know Michelin makes good tires. :)

Thanks

Indiana Jeep
05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Where did you get the tires from?

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
www.treadwright.com

Mudderoy
05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Retreads?!?!?! :smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Retreads?!?!?! :smiley-scared002:

They are fine. I've been reading every review on the web and 99% of them are positive. The 1% that wasn't, Treadwright made it right. Retread technology has come a long way and they are now as good as new tires. My neighbor first installed retreads on his tires quite some time ago, back when they first started the business as High Tech Retreading. He STILL has those tires on his truck. (it was recently sold with the tires still on it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzzHR41zwk

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0908_treadwright_retreads_bfgoodrich_at_ko/index.html

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_0901_tread_wright_mud_terrain_4x4_tire_test/index.html

http://www.ih8mud.com/product_reviews/fzj80-treadwright.php

BBB Rating for Tread Wright Tires

Based on BBB files, Tread Wright Tires has a BBB Rating of A+ on a scale from A+ to F.

Just some stuff to read your boredom away.....

Mudderoy
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Well ok, but I still see rubber scattered on the highways from the 18 wheeler retreads. It will be interesting to hear how you like them over time.

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Well ok, but I still see rubber scattered on the highways from the 18 wheeler retreads. It will be interesting to hear how you like them over time.

Muddy

There are two types of retreads. Full and top cap. The top caps are what you see all over the highway. They cap those carcasses up to 18 times and of course they carry much more weight than our tires. Also heat is the real enemy. Mud lives in cold country. He shouldn't have any problems.

muddeprived
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Can't really compare em to the 18 wheelers. Those trucks are hauling tons and tons of weight and sometimes they don't keep their air pressure at the correct psi and blow their tires. It's definitely is ALOT more stress on those tires than our 3400 lb xj's can put on em. My buddy works for PGT trucking near here and he told me all about those truck tires on the road when we were discussing these tires. In all the years he's been driving (30+), he never blew a tire cuz he was religious with the PSI, and also the maintenance of his rig. He's been using retreads since day one.

Treadwright encourages you to monitor the air pressure to keep it at the proper psi so you avoid any issues in the long run. (which is what you should do with any brand tire: think firestone incident)

We'll see how they hold up but I have complete confidence in them. :) They even have a 2 year 24k mile warranty on em.

Mudderoy
05-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Can't really compare em to the 18 wheelers. Those trucks are hauling tons and tons of weight and sometimes they don't keep their air pressure at the correct psi and blow their tires. It's definitely is ALOT more stress on those tires than our 3400 lb xj's can put on em. My buddy works for PGT trucking near here and he told me all about those truck tires on the road when we were discussing these tires. In all the years he's been driving (30+), he never blew a tire cuz he was religious with the PSI, and also the maintenance of his rig. He's been using retreads since day one.

Treadwright encourages you to monitor the air pressure to keep it at the proper psi so you avoid any issues in the long run. (which is what you should do with any brand tire: think firestone incident)

We'll see how they hold up but I have complete confidence in them. :) They even have a 2 year 24k mile warranty on em.

Obviously you've weighed the pros and cons and feel it was a good decision for you.

cantab27
05-10-2010, 01:33 AM
They even have a 2 year 24k mile warranty on em.[/QUOTE]

that's not a bad warranty, better than we get

muddeprived
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Half way there...

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0187.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0189.jpg

Gonna be driving around like a hot rod till the other tire gets here.

muddeprived
05-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Treadwright emailed me and said Fedex put one tire on the wrong truck so they had fedex rush it to me and I got it in two days after getting that email. They made it right so they are cool. :thumbsup: :rofl:

Got em mounted, balanced, and aired em up to 30 psi.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/DSCF7249.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/DSCF7251.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/DSCF7254.jpg

Road manners: These ride just like my 30" firestone a/t's. Nice, quiet, and smooth. Not a single vibe or shake. Excellent. :thumbsup:

Fitment: fits perfect for my 4.5" lift but I haven't flexed it out yet. I got 5" bumpstops on there so it should be ok.

:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Love the pictures, thanks!

4.3LXJ
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Looking real good Chris :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DETOURS
05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Nuthin wrong with Treadwrights, I've owned 2 sets in the past.......recently been looking at them again for the wifes XJ.......:cool:

Looks good!

Rysam
05-16-2010, 10:22 AM
How do you think they will perform aired down to say 10-15 lbs? I've been looking at them for a while, and its an awesome deal.

muddeprived
05-16-2010, 02:04 PM
How do you think they will perform aired down to say 10-15 lbs? I've been looking at them for a while, and its an awesome deal.

No idea and I don't want to try, even though many have done it. i prefer to keep the 2 year warranty. It's voided if you air down. I don't know how they can tell but I'll wait 2 years and let you know. :rotfl2:

CAHLHEIM
05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I have these in the 31x10.5x15 and have put close to 1000 miles on them, could not be happier. The tire that was most out of balance has only two weights on it, all others have just one, so they are quite well balanced.

From what I understand, running them for any decent amount of time at a low pressure will cause the interior of the tire to start flaking or de-laminating.

troys96xj
05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I was thinking about getting a set of those but was worried about the quality.Keep us posted on how well they hold up.I'm going to be getting some ATs for the street I currently have a new set of SSRs and don't want to wear them out.

muddeprived
05-18-2010, 12:13 AM
I was thinking about getting a set of those but was worried about the quality.Keep us posted on how well they hold up.I'm going to be getting some ATs for the street I currently have a new set of SSRs and don't want to wear them out.

I can give you a 500 mile update in about a year. :rotfl2: This rig sees very low mileage. I have to change oil on a 6 month basis instead of by miles or else the oil will be in there for a very long time.

troys96xj
05-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks anyway. I'm looking for someone who is running these on a DD and can verify the ride and quality\longevity.

muddeprived
05-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks anyway. I'm looking for someone who is running these on a DD and can verify the ride and quality\longevity.

Well for what it's worth, I drove 30 minutes to the mall on the freeway and they rode nice and smooth. I'm so used to having shakes from swampers or used-n-abused tires but these have zero shakes. All you feel is a slight hummm from the tread blocks. Honestly I can't seem to find anything bad about these tires.

troys96xj
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Well for what it's worth, I drove 30 minutes to the mall on the freeway and they rode nice and smooth. I'm so used to having shakes from swampers or used-n-abused tires but these have zero shakes. All you feel is a slight hummm from the tread blocks. Honestly I can't seem to find anything bad about these tires.

Cool.I'm considering them for the street.

muddeprived
06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Rain Test

We had the worst rain storm I've seen in years. It poured and we had about 10 feet of visibility when driving. The roads were flooded in some spots and there was a bridge that was completely flooded. I drove 1.5 hrs home from the cabin, through this hell-storm, and survived, thanks to these tires. They did not slip at all the entire drive home. With an inch or so of water on the roads, the tires did not hydroplane, which surprised me cuz my previous mudders would do this. There's a 1/2 mile long bridge that we had to cross and the limit is 45 mph. The bridge crosses a river and it's about 200 feet high. I'm coming down this hill at 35 mph due to visibility and all of a sudden I see the bridge is flooded (no drain on it ). With zero time to react I held my breath and watched a wave of water engulf what visibility I had left. There was a wall of water completely surrounding the jeep for about 1/4 way across the bridge, and keep in mind, it's a 200 foot drop if you go over! The jeep held a straight line and didn't hydroplane out of control, which really surprised me cuz something like that would send a car out of control. My gf almost (beep) herself during this action and I admit it was quite frightening!

So far, so good!

I also received an unexpected package in the mail today:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/retreads/PIC-0203.jpg

Xtreme XJ
06-04-2010, 01:06 AM
No idea and I don't want to try, even though many have done it. i prefer to keep the 2 year warranty. It's voided if you air down. I don't know how they can tell but I'll wait 2 years and let you know. :rotfl2:

WHAT !! Soooo you bought tires, but now you won't use the XJ off-road for the 2yr. warranty period ? That's just anti-XJ thinking there...
:pee: on that....

Curt

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
WHAT !! Soooo you bought tires, but now you won't use the XJ off-road for the 2yr. warranty period ? That's just anti-XJ thinking there...
:pee: on that....

Curt

Never said I wasn't gonna off road. I stated that I won't air down cuz it voids the warranty. You don't have to air down to off road. ;)

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
first Mud michelin huh... My friend in dallas bought a set of those exact tires... but luckily for him they were from a goodyear wrangler casing how perfect was that... the only thing I noticed is that the rubber seemed a LOT softer than a NEW tire... but the proof is in the pudding I guess let us know how they wear out if they are equal to what it imitates. Im trying to get a set of 33's once they get their molds ready

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Muddy

There are two types of retreads. Full and top cap. The top caps are what you see all over the highway. They cap those carcasses up to 18 times and of course they carry much more weight than our tires. Also heat is the real enemy. Mud lives in cold country. He shouldn't have any problems.

LOL let me be the first to inform you...owner operators... HALF of them wont drop a dime on ANYTHING for their trucks ESPECIALLY tires, next time you are next to a semi at a light look closely... none of those tires are balanced they never do and another thing you gotta understand is those tires see more miles in a week than ANY of our jeeps will see in possibly a year and Like muddy said... 80,000 lbs is a lot of strain on a set of tires... even 18 of em do the math thats STILL 4444 lbs per tire thats LOT. I researched the perfection of these treadwright tires for a WHILE as well as OTHER retread companies and the overall design of HOW the tires is manufactured is they same way just in a different order. They are 97% safe which is FAR greater than the Firestone Wilderness A/T's that the explorers used to have that were recalled

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
first Mud michelin huh... My friend in dallas bought a set of those exact tires... but luckily for him they were from a goodyear wrangler casing how perfect was that... the only thing I noticed is that the rubber seemed a LOT softer than a NEW tire... but the proof is in the pudding I guess let us know how they wear out if they are equal to what it imitates. Im trying to get a set of 33's once they get their molds ready

Yeah I wanted goodyear casings to match but they all came in E-load rating and I didn't want a rough tire. The michies came in C so they were my only choice. Still a good casing though.

Xtreme XJ
06-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Never said I wasn't gonna off road. I stated that I won't air down cuz it voids the warranty. You don't have to air down to off road. ;)

Doesn't one go with the other ??

Curt