PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Increasing Braking Power

d0nt_h8
05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
...I need to increase the braking power on my rig. The stock drums altho in great condition are still a bit weak for my liking. I'm finding myself very UNcomfortable going down a loose, off camber & steep downgrade and not having serious control, lol.. :shocker:

I'm aware that weight definitely makes a difference, and like many people I have mods & added weight. I need to account for the fact that when loaded, the rack and everything behind the front seats will be loaded.

What I want to know is which way I should go because I've never had the need to do this....

Anyone?
:confused:

..PS- I seriously hope this is not a recently asked question lol.. I DID look & couldn't find anything!

4.3LXJ
05-07-2010, 11:00 PM
ZJ rear discs are a bolt on for the 44 and you can upgrade to the WJ dual diaphragm vacuum booster.

LostSoul
05-08-2010, 02:02 AM
ZJ rear discs are a bolt on for the 44 and you can upgrade to the WJ dual diaphragm vacuum booster.

This site has a write up of both :link: (www.madxj.com)

Voldemort
05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
If you do decide to do a disc brake swap then I recommend doing the diaphragm and master cylinder also. If you do not the brakes do not get the right pressure to the rear, which makes it so you have to pump the brakes to get them to work right.

d0nt_h8
05-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone- just the info I was looking for =-) I was pondering going with bigger drums or just switching to discs.. I had been leaning toward that but wanted to make sure so, thanks again!

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
If you do decide to do a disc brake swap then I recommend doing the diaphragm and master cylinder also. If you do not the brakes do not get the right pressure to the rear, which makes it so you have to pump the brakes to get them to work right.

not in all cases, yes in most, but if someone has the renix abs then it isnt a issue. mine brake all equal. i dont have the front or brake grabbin harder or easier than the others.

i will still be upgradin to the better diaphragm and master froma GC but its cause im wantin to get rid of the abs. sometimes its awesome and others its horrible.

d0nt_h8
05-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I planned on switching out the entire setup- plus diaphragm and master cyl.

Any recommendations on who to go with?

LostSoul
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
96 xjs and up have the double diaphragm. I bought one from a 2001 xj, but I haven't swaped it yet

XJ Rat
05-14-2010, 12:18 PM
My disc setup is out of an LJ. Bolted right to my 8.25". The only problem is the stock XJ ebrake cables are too short. So I gotta come up with a solution for those.

troys96xj
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Do a rear disc brake conversion.

d0nt_h8
05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
solid input everyone-thank you...yeah- I'm gonna go with the discs..

Anyone got an idea of cost to convert? Should I go with used or new?

Mudderoy
05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
My disc setup is out of an LJ. Bolted right to my 8.25". The only problem is the stock XJ ebrake cables are too short. So I gotta come up with a solution for those.

I've heard of using D35 calipers and discs from a Grand Cherokee but I think this is the first time I heard about using parts from a Wrangler. Where did you get it? How much did it cost? And to double check there was NO modifications needed to the rotors? I know on the Grand D35 rotors you have to remove some of the material in the middle. Thanks.