PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help! 1996 XJ Check Engine light.

firemanj
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
So I have just recently picked up my 1st XJ. It is a 96 and all was great until this morning. I got in and started her up and the Check Engine light is staying on. I did the manual error code retreaval and found it to be error 25-the idle air control. I have read in the Haynes manual that I may need to take it to the shop due to the fact that replacing the IAC valve may not correct the problem. Should i just change it and see if the check engine light goes out or is there something else to check that could be causing this code?

P.S. Also when I started her up this morning I had to keep it revved up until it got warm or it would just die. Once It was warm I had no problems? Thanks for any suggestions.

4.3LXJ
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
The first thing I would do is take it off and clean it.

96xj
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
just replace it , it is only $36 , why take the chance of it failing again

alwaysxj
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
yes i would take it off and clean it and then see if that helps.
then if not like 96xj said it is only $36 nto bad if you have to change it out.

Bighorncrag
05-17-2010, 10:47 PM
How many miles are on it? From what I understand (someone may have fed me a crock of bull) is that the factory default is 85k or so for the check engine light to come on, supposedly to "prompt" a replacement of the O2 sensor. I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the idiot light and kept driving it with no problems.:driving:

troys96xj
05-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Clean it with some carb n choke cleaner and see if that helps. If not then replace it. You don't have to take it to a shop.I have a 96 and when mine went I replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

mw14c
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Take it from a mechanic. Pull the IAC, clean it with a can of carb cleaner, while you're at it clean the whole throttle body. This will take the whole can of cleaner and a couple of towels if you do it right. The IAC runs off of vacuum and any "gum" will affect its performance. Afterwards it will take it a minute to run right again as it will have it's "snoot" full of cleaner. Reset the light (you can do it manually by unhooking the battery cable for about 10-15 minutes). If problem reoccures change IAC. Oh yeah. IAC stands for idle air control. It's found on the side of the intake plenum. Don't confuse it with the TPS (throttle position sensor). If you need more info or pictures let me know.