PDA

View Full Version : rear lift

rguignard
05-04-2010, 07:13 PM
ok so ive been thinking about the rear of my xj or should i say the lack of flex :shocker: well heres what im thinking. pull the rear leafs use only one or two of them to center the axle and put some coil springs between the leaf springs and the frame. yes i know theres welding and some fab to do it and yes im more than capable of doing it. just putting this out there to see what the pros and the cons of doing this might be and has any of you done anything like this? give me your ideas on it

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
this is the same as mono leafin for air bags. the only prob we had doin that over time the leafs would break from usin the stock springs in a way not designed. now you can maybe find a aftermarket kit hat offers a mono leaf for the xj for a bag setup if so it might work better. or you can radius arm it. you can also Y-link or 3 link it. there is always the trusty 4link. if you 4 link it make sure you triangulate either uppers or lower to keep from havin to run a rack bar.

Rysam
05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
why not link it and run coils? I think treks has a bolt in kit too.

rguignard
05-05-2010, 06:26 AM
why not link it and run coils? I think treks has a bolt in kit too.

ill look them up thanks :thumbsup:

Rysam
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
as a FYI, Treks used to be TnT.

Edit...
Treks is still TnT.
I looked for a while and i couldn't find the rear coil setup on their site. I saw a video on Naxja a while back though, crazy flex. You might want to give them a call.
http://tntcustoms.com/

rguignard
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
look at this maybe this will work for what im thinking ?????
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/59507-cherokee-air-springs.html

alwaysxj
05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
i just don't see getting more flex out of air bags i would say if you are going to do all that fab just put coils and four link it in the rear. then you will have all the flex you want.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
i dont see the helper kit you where talkin about.

4.3LXJ
05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
look at this maybe this will work for what im thinking ?????
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/59507-cherokee-air-springs.html

I had a pair of air bags on my 86 for awhile. They were OK for a load, but you cannot use stock wheels with them because they will rub the bags. Also, they limit your articulation.

Rysam
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
what about shackle relocation boxes? I dont know what your shackle angle is, but the boxes are supposed to give a better shackle angle and thereby improve ride and flex.

rguignard
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
what about shackle relocation boxes? I dont know what your shackle angle is, but the boxes are supposed to give a better shackle angle and thereby improve ride and flex.

when we went to bmra i wheeled with some xj's that had them and it wasnt a lot better than mine so im just thinking outside the box :smiley-laughing021: im going to do something im just not sure what yet :thumbsup:

alwaysxj
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
i would look in to some ALCAN springs they have flex joints instead of bushings. i had some on my last jeep i just had and even with the long arms the rear would flex just as good. the are alot of money but they are well worth the money.

bluedragon436
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe a bit high priced.. but still give an idea of what to fab up!! http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1 check on their Cherokee section under build components, and the last link is their rear coil conversion setup!!

xjrev10
01-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Clayton offroad has a kit. as does rock krawler for rear coils.

modestmar00xj
01-01-2011, 07:15 PM
yeah i have a friend thats doing a coils and four link it in the rear and so far everything going good and it looks sick! we just have to get it out on the trail!

bluedragon436
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah I would love to hit the lottery and purchase a complete kit from Clayton for my XJ... talk about a complete trail/rock ready rig!!!

xjrev10
01-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Yea win the lottery no doubt!