PDA

View Full Version : Wth

cmclain33
05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Ok so i put a 3" RC lift on my 97 wanted to run 31's no biggie, but after install i thought where is my lift???? i knew 3" wasn't going to work so i ordered 2" poly spacers and 2" shackles to give me a grand totaolly of 5" i thought th:mad0090:is would be great but after parking next to another xj with 4.5" lift, and mine sits lower WTH.....WTH..... now i am very flabergasted ARGHH. anyone know why my lift is shorter?? No wise cracks please.

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Ok so i put a 3" RC lift on my 97 wanted to run 31's no biggie, but after install i thought where is my lift???? i knew 3" wasn't going to work so i ordered 2" poly spacers and 2" shackles to give me a grand totaolly of 5" i thought th:mad0090:is would be great but after parking next to another xj with 4.5" lift, and mine sits lower WTH.....WTH..... now i am very flabergasted ARGHH. anyone know why my lift is shorter?? No wise cracks please.

lol no wise cracks?!?!?! I might just explode! :smiley-laughing021:

I think it really depends. Like how much flexing you've done, how much weight is pushing down on that suspension system, etc...

When I got my Rough Country 4.5" lift with Add A Leaf the rear was lower than the front, only slightly. Now my XJ had the Up Country package, which is supposed to be 1" taller than non Up Country. I purchased the 4.5" RC full leaf packs, but since my AAL kit came with (2") shackles I had two choices. 5.5" or 6.5" lift in the rear. Obviously I went with the 5.5" for now. With the weight of my rear bumper, tire carrier and wheel/tire it sits about level with the front. It's still level even after adding the custom front winch bumper and winch. I did take off the factory front skid.

I noticed it was harder for me to get in after I put on the full leaves. So I bet that if you bought you a set of RC 4.5" leaf springs you'd probably sit about level with another RC 4.5 kit.

Next meet (if you make it out) we can pull the rigs up side by side and compare.

codertimt
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Also, what spacers and what shackles? Did you measure them yourself or was that just what they were advertised as? I know many inexpensive spacers are advertised using their external height where-as the spring actually sits down in a grove... Similarly shackles can be advertised in a misleading manner, since shackles are only lifting up one side of the spring, a shackle 2" longer than stock only provides 1" lift. So to get 2" of lift, it obviously needs to be 4" longer than stock.

Not saying that is the case here, just something to watch for. Also, what 4.5 " lift were you comparing against. Some companies lifts end up with >advertised and some are just at the advertised hight. For example, everything I've read indicates a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift is going to end up closing to 5.5" whereas a RC 4.5" lift is closer to right at 4.5... Again, don't know that from personal experience...just what I've read....

Lastly, measure. :) If you still have stock flares, from stock height from the center of the hub to the flare should be 17.5" in the front and 17" in the rear. So take the difference from what you have now and where your lift stands should no longer be in question... You won't necessarily be any happier about, but at least you'll know...and knowing is half the battle. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Coder, not all lifts are created equal. If you still have all your flares on, measure from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flare, then subtract 17.5" in front and 17" in the rear for your true lift. I can't tell from your avatar if you are missing the front flare. If you are, I can give you the measurements to the first seam on the fender for that.

Rysam
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Also, what spacers and what shackles? Did you measure them yourself or was that just what they were advertised as? I know many inexpensive spacers are advertised using their external height where-as the spring actually sits down in a grove... Similarly shackles can be advertised in a misleading manner, since shackles are only lifting up one side of the spring, a shackle 2" longer than stock only provides 1" lift. So to get 2" of lift, it obviously needs to be 4" longer than stock.

Not saying that is the case here, just something to watch for. Also, what 4.5 " lift were you comparing against. Some companies lifts end up with >advertised and some are just at the advertised hight. For example, everything I've read indicates a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift is going to end up closing to 5.5" whereas a RC 4.5" lift is closer to right at 4.5... Again, don't know that from personal experience...just what I've read....

Lastly, measure. :) If you still have stock flares, from stock height from the center of the hub to the flare should be 17.5" in the front and 17" in the rear. So take the difference from what you have now and where your lift stands should no longer be in question... You won't necessarily be any happier about, but at least you'll know...and knowing is half the battle. :patriot:

:dito:

Go Joe!!!

cmclain33
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
well i will measure and let ya know. it just seems like i've been cheated for some reason, wll i was planning on upgrading in about a year and a half anyway to 6.5 RC.

JRW7072009
05-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Coder, not all lifts are created equal. If you still have all your flares on, measure from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flare, then subtract 17.5" in front and 17" in the rear for your true lift. I can't tell from your avatar if you are missing the front flare. If you are, I can give you the measurements to the first seam on the fender for that.

X2
All lifts net a different over all height, and so do tires they are all different heights per different brands like for instance Toyo's run pretty true but some of the other tire brands may run smaller or larger.

JRW7072009
05-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Here is a good way to measure as well.

Checking Front Ride Height

Measure front ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube and the underside of the frame sill.

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 6-3/4 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch. With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 7-3/4 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch.

Checking Rear Ride Height

Measure rear ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube and the underside of the frame sill inboard of the jounce bumper.

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 6 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch. With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 7 inches)plus or minus 1/2 inch.

So then take your measurements and do the math and it will give you a pretty good method of measuring your lift or ride height.