PDA

View Full Version : Proxy servers, school me!

TeXJ
05-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok, So i want to use proxy servers. Does anybody have foxy proxy? Where do you get the proxy servers from, that are free? Any step by step guide to it?

thanks!

Check out this site to see how much information is told about you when you visit a site:

http://www.stayinvisible.com/

TeXJ
06-17-2010, 07:18 PM
anybody :(

xj4life2
06-17-2010, 07:32 PM
why do you need a proxy ???
Ok I was gonna start typing alot but let me do a copy and paste for ya :
A proxy server has a large variety of potential purposes, including:

To keep machines behind it anonymous (mainly for security).[1]
To speed up access to resources (using caching). Web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server.[2]
To apply access policy to network services or content, e.g. to block undesired sites.
To log / audit usage, i.e. to provide company employee Internet usage reporting.
To bypass security/ parental controls.
To scan transmitted content for malware before delivery.
To scan outbound content, e.g., for data leak protection.
To circumvent regional restrictions.
And yes you can get free ones off the web

TeXJ
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah i know what they can do, just cant seem to find info on where to get them, and not get malware at the same time. I want to know because, i'd like to learn more about how to do it. I have the theory down, i just want some exercise doing it.

xj4life2
06-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Sorry I got the wrong idea I thought you wanted info on them. here's a good site for downloads http://download.cnet.com/FoxyProxy/3000-11745_4-10745696.html
There are many others search for web proxys and the list will be huge.

TeXJ
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
ok thanks, do you use a program like foxy proxy or something else?

Mudderoy
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Download VirtualBox. Install it. Download and install Fedora Core. Configure it to ask as a proxy. Now download and install putty on your windows host.
Configure it to act as a ssh proxy client. Set up the browser on your PC to use 127.0.0.1 and the port you assigned in putty.

Connect to your linux virtual server via putty. This establishes the secure ssh tunnel. Open your browswer and browse.

All the data will be going thru the ssh tunnel established via putty to your linux server and out to the internet. Data will come back to the linux server and then come through the tunnel to your PC.

You can do the same thing with another PC set up with Linux. You can also do it with Windows, but I've only ever done it with Linux.

Oh you will need to configure the virtual linux network port to have it's own "DIFFERENT" IP address.

There are several way to accomplish this, this is only one way.

TeXJ
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
that weird, i've never would have thought to use the loopback address127... So that is basically a proxy at the house, it would still have the IP from the ISP. I was wanting one from another country, be it europe, south america, etc...

That is some info there, thanks!

Mudderoy
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
that weird, i've never would have thought to use the loopback address127... So that is basically a proxy at the house, it would still have the IP from the ISP. I was wanting one from another country, be it europe, south america, etc...

That is some info there, thanks!

Well if you are trying to cover your tracks you'll need to think about it. You'll want to do several proxy servers in several countries I would think.

You use the loopback IP address and a port like 8080. That IP and port is assigned as a secure tunnel in putty. Putty would go out the interface that was assigned the real IP. So what you are doing is telling IE to talk to putty on 127.0.0.1 Port 8080 and Putty is talking to the Internet.

TeXJ
06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
thanks for the info!!!

right now there is no need, but I like to just know how things work and such.