PDA

View Full Version : bilstein shock falling off.

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 03:37 PM
so i have some bilstein 5150 shocks on my jeep. just the other day one of them came of on the axel side. the shock boot on the bottom fell off so when i screw the shaft back on to the mounthing bracket it will not stay it will just fall off again. i have tryed to lock tight it on and put some teflon tape on and still it falls off.
is this little flat plate causeing this to not stay tight. were can i get a new one.
or should i just weld it on?
http://www.bilsteinus.com/ART/5150.jpg

the bottom of this pic you will see the silver flat plate that i am talking about. sorry don't know what it is called.
any advise.
thanks

rguignard
05-03-2010, 04:54 PM
if you can take a pic and show us what is falling off i think i know what your talking about but i sure would like to see it

cantab27
05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
two bolts may help ???

96xj
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
that flat thing your talking about is to hold a rubber boot on

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
ya i can take a pic of it but if you look at the pic above then in the bottom of the pic you will see a flat plate just above the bushings that plate fell off so now the shaft just spines off when i put it back on. i have used lock tight and tflon tape but it will not stay.
i look at the other shock that has all the peices to to and as far as i can see this part should not have any effect on the saft staying tight but i don't know.
does anyone know anything about these shocks then?

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
ok so i made this tell i can get home and take a pic.
the big circle is the mounting part that is falling off and the little circle is the part that fell off and i lost.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/bilstein.jpg

i don't know what is going on with this pic but it will not load so.

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
ok took some pics of this.
here is the shock not connected.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/shocks001.jpg
here is where it goes. it threads in.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/shocks002.jpg
here is what the other one looks like with it all together. and note their is no boots on it.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/shocks003.jpg
here is the flat washer thingy i was talking about that i lost on the other shock and now it will not stay tight.
i am not sure if this is needed for it to stay tight or not.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/shocks004.jpg

xj4life2
05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, the flat ring, as it was stated earlier, is thier to hold the boot on. the shaft is supposed to be welded into the part that holds the bushings. You have a busted shock, Take it back and have them warrenty that thing.
Ps, Is that shock long enough travel for that rig ? It looks like it may be to short and just pulled it out.

Voldemort
05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I have never seen one do that before, how long have you had it? were did you buy it?
If you weld it you would have to TIG it for it to be right, you can MIG it but I think it would break again IMO. But, I would think welding would be the best option. Was it welded on before?

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
were is it welded when they thread on?
and were can i send it back to get a new one. from what i have read it they only has a one year warranty.
and i did not put them on the jeep i just bought the jeep so i don't know really anything about them.
thanks for the info.
so if i cannot take them back is what you are saying is i should just weld it on then.

xj4life2
05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Where did you buy them from ? thats where I would start if they wont help go direct to Bilstein. I have never seen one threaded and not welded, they may have just missed the weld. If its supposed to be just threaded then the threads are distroyed.I still believe they are to short. Measure for full droop without the shock on it and see what you get then compare that against the full length of the shock.

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
like i said i did not buy them i have the invoice from rusty's offroad from back 12/4/2006 do you think they will do anything about this really?
also i thought that they were rebuild able so they should thread on right. the shaft has threads on it. and if you go on bilsteins web site they show that you can replace the shafts in them so i don't know.

4.3LXJ
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I doubt they will do anything about a 3 year old shock. If it was mine, I would weld it. You have nothing to loose by doing so. If I had a choice, I would use stick believe it or not. There is a rod made by Alstate labeled Super 275. It will weld any kind of steel to any other kind of steel including springs and axles and tool steel. The stuff works great and will not fail. Other companies have an equivalent labeled super missile weld or something similar.

alwaysxj
05-03-2010, 08:45 PM
sweet thanks i will have to see if i can find it.

4.3LXJ
05-03-2010, 10:37 PM
It really is great stuff. I can tell you some tall stories about it.

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I didn't read all the posts, so maybe someone said this already...

Could it be that the shock was limiting the travel and eventually broke?

If so welding it won't fix it for long.

Maybe you need some of these;

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/stm_main.jpg

:link: (http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php)

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
has anybody ever used them?
i think i could make some for a lot less.
but it they will work good then i will look in to it.
thanks

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
has anybody ever used them?
i think i could make some for a lot less.
but it they will work good then i will look in to it.
thanks

Oh I'm sure I could make them for less, say $20? But then again I'd have to drive to get the materials, oh and I'd have to buy the welder, supplies, trial and error until I did it right, well actually I guess it would cost me about $400 to make these. Of course I'd have the welder for other projects after that.

I guess that is what you have to consider when you say "I could do it cheaper" YOU may be able to, I wouldn't.

4.3LXJ
05-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Muddy, don't forget the band saw to make those nice square cuts. Add $600

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Muddy, don't forget the band saw to make those nice square cuts. Add $600

or PLASMA CUTTER! I'm going to get me a Miller MIG welder, I think a plasma cutter would be a blast, literally.

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
well i have a pile off cut off scrap from other projects in the garage.
so all i would have to do is go out to the garage and fire up the grinder and welder and make them.
see i have all the tools to make them that is why i said i could make them for cheaper.

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
well i have a pile off cut off scrap from other projects in the garage.
so all i would have to do is go out to the garage and fire up the grinder and welder and make them.
see i have all the tools to make them that is why i said i could make them for cheaper.

Oh I understand, but we have this vendor that makes and sells them. When someone just jumps in and says "I could make them cheaper" not everyone thinks about all that is involved in making them cheaper. When you do think about it, or find out the guy that is making them cheaper has free materials, and access to equipment necessary to build them, it makes a big difference.

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
i am not saying i would not buy them from him. i bet he makes a good product but i like to build my own stuff for my jeep that is why i have all my tools to do so.
i guess i should have said i had all the tools to make this.
but from all the stuff i have built and posted on here i just thought people would of known i have all the tools to make this.
my bad

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
i am not saying i would not buy them from him. i bet he makes a good product but i like to build my own stuff for my jeep that is why i have all my tools to do so.
i guess i should have said i had all the tools to make this.
but from all the stuff i have built and posted on here i just thought people would of known i have all the tools to make this.
my bad

No big deal, I was mainly just making sure everyone thought about your statement. There was nothing wrong with what you said.

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
now if is he would send them to my door for $20 then i would get them and save all the tiem to fab them up but i dought that.

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
well i got this fixed today.
it was the craziest thing i was driving home from work and in the middle of the road i seen what looked like a washer so i slam on the brakes and pull over i run out in to the middle of traffic on the free way mind you and dodge cars left and right and crap it and run back to the jeep. when i get back i inspect it and it is the washer that came off of my shock. i though no way so i go straight home and thread it on and sure enough it fits.
i put it all on and it locks in to place and it works.
i drive it around for about a hour and it stays i think i just fixed it.
how luck am i to find that.
now that is just unbelievable.

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:
now this how ir really went down.
drove home looked in my trusty old coffee can of bolts and washers, found a washer that would work and broke out the welder and welded the saft to the mount and then the washer to the mount i think it will hold.
now if for one second you thought my last post was true i got you.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::D:patriot:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/fixed.jpg

rguignard
05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
well i got this fixed today.
it was the craziest thing i was driving home from work and in the middle of the road i seen what looked like a washer so i slam on the brakes and pull over i run out in to the middle of traffic on the free way mind you and dodge cars left and right and crap it and run back to the jeep. when i get back i inspect it and it is the washer that came off of my shock. i though no way so i go straight home and thread it on and sure enough it fits.
i put it all on and it locks in to place and it works.
i drive it around for about a hour and it stays i think i just fixed it.
how luck am i to find that.
now that is just unbelievable.

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: that was a good one

alwaysxj
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
that's what i thought too.:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Voldemort
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM
:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:
now this how ir really went down.
drove home looked in my trusty old coffee can of bolts and washers, found a washer that would work and broke out the welder and welded the saft to the mount and then the washer to the mount i think it will hold.
now if for one second you thought my last post was true i got you.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::D:patriot:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/alwaysxj/fixed.jpg

Looks good to me, what did you use to weld it with? I think the washer thing is there like a little bump stop or something?? You said they came on the jeep when you got it? So you have no idea how long they have been on? I just have been considering getting them and this is the first bad thing I have seen on them, but wanted to get you opinion.

alwaysxj
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
i have all the paper work of what was done to the jeep and they were bought in 2006 not sure how long they are. but on of them the seal is leaking but i think you can rebuild them.
i posted this on ly local offroad site and this guy with a zj said this happen to two of his. he said if you run these shock then you need a limit strap other wise this will happen