PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an upgraded radiator

urbantank
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
My radiator blew out today so know since i have to replace it i want to upgrade it to a larger one

I have been searching online but i would like some word of mouth on some that ppl have used and the quailty of them before i go spending some cash on it

thanks for the help guys

ParadiseXJ
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I have a CSF 2 row all metal in my 88 MJ, a CSF 3 row all metal in the 90 XJ. Can't tell the difference in cooling, both work fine. 2 row $135, 3 row $165 from Radiator Barn. 2 day shipping!! Converted to open cooling on both rigs so I ordered 1992 radiators.

Indiana Jeep
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Got a 3 row from O'reily's I think it was around $130. Works great, A few weeks ago when my water pump went out I was driving at the time and kept the engine from hitting the red until I got home. It was only about 1.5 - 2 miles going about 30 but didn't have a problem. I don't remember the maker.

ParadiseXJ
05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
i want to upgrade it to a larger one

But seriously...I don't know if you can FIT a larger one in the space provided, just a better one. I have no complaints with the CSF all metal(2 or 3 row).

I've read that although the 3 row has more cooling surface, that the tubes are smaller and tend to clog faster. Open or closed system it'll improve your cooling over whatever you are running now.

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
But seriously...I don't know if you can FIT a larger one in the space provided, just a better one. I have no complaints with the CSF all metal(2 or 3 row).

I've read that although the 3 row has more cooling surface, that the tubes are smaller and tend to clog faster. Open or closed system it'll improve your cooling over whatever you are running now.

I read/heard this too so I asked radiatorbarn.com about this before I bought the CSF all metal 3 radiator and the tube sizes are the same. You can actually check the specs on their website (or could) and it gives you the tube sizes.

Do other brands do this? I dunno, but I only checked on the radiator that I was about to buy.

When I replaced my all metal 2 core with the 3, I took the 2 core to a radiator shop and they found and fixed the problems with it. So I have a 2 core spare.

A 2 core will cool the 4.0L fine in a stock configuration.

urbantank
05-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I got the csf HD 3 core the other day it works great now time to upgrade the tranny cooler

Bighorncrag
05-12-2010, 12:09 AM
My $.02 is to check with local radiator shops and find out how much it would be to re-core your old rad. I just went through this after purchasing a copper-brass rad with a 4-row core for my 91 Suburban. I paid $310 including tax at O'Reilly Auto Parts. After 300 miles, it developed a leak on a weld (crack) at the upper hose bib. I went to the local radiator guy with my old rad who told me my old brass tanks were much higher quality than the new tanks. Here in the NW, we are fortunate to have one of the few remaining core builders left in the USA in Portland, OR, called "X-Rad Northwest." I know this does you no good in Georgia, but it might be worth some networking. The radiator guy told me the problem with the off-shore made rads is that the tubes are 3/8", the silver solder is diluted making for low quality welds, the copper is diluted, and the brass tanks are much thinner. I noticed this while the new rad was installed in my rig, I could move the heater return hose slightly and see the wall of the tank flex. I was able to return the new rad for a full refund. The guy called in the core measurements and had a core built by X-Rad. They used 1/2" tubing and I'm told they also use high quality copper. The radiator shop used the high quality solder for final assembly as well. In the end it cost 25% more (total $422) than the new rad but in my estimation it was worth knowing I now have no risk of leaks, and no weaknesses in the rad. The XJ rad should cost much less. No disrespect intended to those who have had success with CSF rads.

Mudderoy
05-12-2010, 01:22 AM
My $.02 is to check with local radiator shops and find out how much it would be to re-core your old rad. I just went through this after purchasing a copper-brass rad with a 4-row core for my 91 Suburban. I paid $310 including tax at O'Reilly Auto Parts. After 300 miles, it developed a leak on a weld (crack) at the upper hose bib. I went to the local radiator guy with my old rad who told me my old brass tanks were much higher quality than the new tanks. Here in the NW, we are fortunate to have one of the few remaining core builders left in the USA in Portland, OR, called "X-Rad Northwest." I know this does you no good in Georgia, but it might be worth some networking. The radiator guy told me the problem with the off-shore made rads is that the tubes are 3/8", the silver solder is diluted making for low quality welds, the copper is diluted, and the brass tanks are much thinner. I noticed this while the new rad was installed in my rig, I could move the heater return hose slightly and see the wall of the tank flex. I was able to return the new rad for a full refund. The guy called in the core measurements and had a core built by X-Rad. They used 1/2" tubing and I'm told they also use high quality copper. The radiator shop used the high quality solder for final assembly as well. In the end it cost 25% more (total $422) than the new rad but in my estimation it was worth knowing I now have no risk of leaks, and no weaknesses in the rad. The XJ rad should cost much less. No disrespect intended to those who have had success with CSF rads.

None taken here, I appricate the information. :patriot:

TheWeiss
05-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I got a three core from radiator barn and It's be in for a couple months. No problems and it cools the Jeep much better than my worn out stock unit.

Mudderoy
05-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I got a three core from radiator barn and It's be in for a couple months. No problems and it cools the Jeep much better than my worn out stock unit.

So far the electric fan has worn two holes in my 3 core from radiatorbarn.com, in two different places.

TheWeiss
05-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Mudderoy, How long did that take?

Mudderoy
05-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Mudderoy, How long did that take?

How long to wear the hole? A couple of years, assuming I found the leak when it happened. It's possible the leak would have been there for a while.