PDA

View Full Version : Weekly xjTalk "talk" show...

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
A few weeks ago I spoke with a few members about doing a one hour xjtalk "talk" show over the Internet. I've done some investigating in the technical side of how to accomplish this.

I'd like to gauge the interest in the members if you would likely to watch.

Basically we would have one or more members as guests. We would play Jeep videos and answer questions, and listen to comments.

I think this would help us be just that more different (in a good way) from the other Jeep sites out there.

Please take a moment and respond to the attached pole. :patriot:

prerunner1982
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
I like the idea and you know I have commented to you about this site being different, in a good day.

However, I wonder if the membership his is large enough that you would have enough members watching to make it worth the time (and expense if any). On the other hand though, the word could spread around and certainly attract new members.

I did not vote though.... it is not that I wouldn't watch, it is that I can't watch. I am only on here while at work and could not dedicate the time to watch a 1 hour show. Internet at home is not good enough and after spending all day on computer at work I rarely get on at home.

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
i too would like to see this but i could not do it for one hour while i was at work i could when i get home if my wife does nto yell at me to get off the computer you have been on thier all day and night.

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I like the idea and you know I have commented to you about this site being different, in a good day.

However, I wonder if the membership his is large enough that you would have enough members watching to make it worth the time (and expense if any). On the other hand though, the word could spread around and certainly attract new members.

I did not vote though.... it is not that I wouldn't watch, it is that I can't watch. I am only on here while at work and could not dedicate the time to watch a 1 hour show. Internet at home is not good enough and after spending all day on computer at work I rarely get on at home.

Not a problem. I appreciate your input. Certainly something I had not considered. Good information.

The expense would only be my time. I would encourage people to send me videos and then be available for a interview. You know to discuss the video.

We might start with a 30 minute show depending on how much time I can fill.

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh and it would be broadcast either the same day each weekday in the evening or on the weekend. Again same time same day.

The show is automatically recorded and available to be (re)viewed shortly after broadcast.

UKJeepThang
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea that I feel should be looked into further. Probably not a "live" show but something that members could download and watch at our leisure.

Very interesting topic!!! :D

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Oh and it would be broadcast either the same day each weekday in the evening or on the weekend. Again same time same day.

The show is automatically recorded and available to be (re)viewed shortly after broadcast.

well then that would be great i would all for it.:thumbsup:

prerunner1982
04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it should still be live though so that those watching could ask questions of the member being interviewed or shown in the video..

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
By the way. I'll be doing some testing of this and you might want to peek in and have a look. You can access the site at http://www.ustream.tv/user/xjtalk

You can go directly to the videos at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/xjtalk.

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 04:31 PM
so will this be only people in Texas or will this be done with a web cam?

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
so will this be only people in Texas or will this be done with a web cam?

The broadcast would be from Texas, but videos, and interviews would be from anywhere in the world.

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
i see. i like the idea

cantab27
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
i have to be up early , weekend be good , .....

rguignard
04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
i got hi speed internet now so count me in :thumbsup:and i like to talk :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
So what are the logistics of this. I think it is a great idea, but I am wondering how it would be done. I noticed on upstream that iphones are mentioned. I don't have one and probably others don't either.

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
So what are the logistics of this. I think it is a great idea, but I am wondering how it would be done. I noticed on upstream that iphones are mentioned. I don't have one and probably others don't either.

iphone wouldn't be necessary. Anything that you have to take video and then can be copied to the computer could be sent to me then I could play it via ustream producer. You guys would see it and it would be recorded for later playback on ustream.
What I have to do is play with it enough so I can get the timing down to mix audio, video, etc... together.

The sound is an issue right now, so I need to work on a patch panel that lets me have more audio adjustment, or I need to get a fancy sound card. I suspect the panel will be cheaper to make.

I have installed an app on my Android that lets me record or broadcast to ustream like the iphone does.

Voldemort
04-30-2010, 02:57 AM
It would be Cool if you took guys vids of mods, wheeling, and shows.

Mudderoy
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
It would be Cool if you took guys vids of mods, wheeling, and shows.

That is what I have in mind. Say you took a video of some wheeling. You'd upload it to the server (yet to be set up) we would discuss (email, chat, phone something). I'd verify that you were available for the show, then at the time of the show I'd have you "voice" on the show. We'd talk about the video, set it up, play the video, then I'd ask you some questions, or let you ramble about the video. Then we'd take comments and questions from the audience.

The audience would be on ustream.tv chat.

I would work a lot like what you've seen thousands of times on TV, with the exception of the interactive chat.

How to videos, really anything, and of course it doesn't all HAVE to be about wheeling or Jeeps even, just something that would be entertaining to the audience.

rockcrusher
05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Sound really good.

Voldemort
05-01-2010, 12:08 PM
How to videos, really anything, and of course it doesn't all HAVE to be about wheeling or Jeeps even, just something that would be entertaining to the audience.

There is something other than Jeeps? :smiley-scared002:

pvt.Tadpol xj
05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I like the idea too...

XJ Rat
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM
By the way. I'll be doing some testing of this and you might want to peek in and have a look. You can access the site at http://www.ustream.tv/user/xjtalk

You can go directly to the videos at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/xjtalk.

I would call this episode cool green. It is kind of hard to understand, though.

4.3LXJ
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Muddy

That site will not let me create an account. It doesn't register what I have typed in. Also all I can see is green.

Mudderoy
05-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I was going to broadcast a little from my phone (directly to ustream) but the solution they put in place stopped working. It may be due to a motorola update that I did between when it was working and when it stopped.

I wouldn't be broadcasting from my phone anyway, it was just something fun to try.

afbond03
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I like the idea. A cell phone forum I frequent just started doing this not to long ago. It started out slow but it has been building up with more and more viewers. Skype is a great tool for this.

rguignard
05-06-2010, 08:47 AM
muddy did you ever get the cell phone working for this?

Mudderoy
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
muddy did you ever get the cell phone working for this?

Yes and no. Ustream software for the android had issues. They came out with a new version that fixed the problem. Then I upgraded the motorola blur software (may be unrelated) and now it doesn't work again.

This isn't a major issue since it is unlikely that I would want to stream directly from my phone anyway. It's slow and there isn't any way to edit the video. What I may do is just recorded the video to the phone and then either upload it to the Internet, or just transfer it to my PC, edit it then play it from my PC and high speed Internet connection to Ustream.

rguignard
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
i just got nancy a kodack playsport camcorder for her b-day so i can start videoing things to. just let me know btw its waterproof :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
i just got nancy a kodack playsport camcorder for her b-day so i can start videoing things to. just let me know btw its waterproof :thumbsup:

Received another update on the ustream broadcast software for the Android today...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6724387

alwaysxj
05-06-2010, 02:56 PM
it's alive.
is that from work?
what do you do again in that nice big office

4.3LXJ
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Muddy, that was the sanitation plant. Are you a sanitary engineer?

Mudderoy
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Muddy, that was the sanitation plant. Are you a sanitary engineer?

I work at what used to be Compaq. Compaq, now HP, was so big that the city had to install a sewer treatment substation. Where my group is "housed" we get the lovely view of what we refer to the HP swimming pool. :rotfl2:

rguignard
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
muddy were did you get the stuff to make the phone work ? can i get it too ?

Mudderoy
05-06-2010, 04:27 PM
muddy were did you get the stuff to make the phone work ? can i get it too ?

Of course. I downloaded it from the Android Market. Just look for "Market" in your list of applications, it may be on one of the front pages. Ustream broadcaster.

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Test video

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6777927

4.3LXJ
05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
What did you use to get the video?

Looks very flat in Texas

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
What did you use to get the video?

Looks very flat in Texas

That was made from my youngest daughter's "Flip Camera"

4.3LXJ
05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
So do you upload to a computer first then?

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
So do you upload to a computer first then?

Yes. It's actually 4 or 5 videos that I fed into a program that puts the little flag animation and website information at the bottom. Then that is fed into the ustream producer software. I'm still experimenting how to make it work the way I want it to work.

4.3LXJ
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
It sounds like we would send you the vid first right?

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM
It sounds like we would send you the vid first right?

Yes. That was the idea to start with. Someone sends in a video. I get them on the phone and we discuss the video and answer questions from the audience via the interactive chat on ustream.

4.3LXJ
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
OK. Sounds good. The only problems I personally would have with that is that I am on a limited amount of data transfer on my broad band card. But we supposedly have DSL now and we are checking that out. Second, my video cam is several years old and we are trying to find out how to get the vid to this computer. We had a special card on my old MAC and it worked like a charm. Might have to do some upgrading.

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Here's another test with a video that I got from a xjtalk member.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6785192

Mudderoy
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
OK. Sounds good. The only problems I personally would have with that is that I am on a limited amount of data transfer on my broad band card. But we supposedly have DSL now and we are checking that out. Second, my video cam is several years old and we are trying to find out how to get the vid to this computer. We had a special card on my old MAC and it worked like a charm. Might have to do some upgrading.

Well you could always put the on a CD/DVD and mail it to me. :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
That sounds cool.

As a side note when I posted that last message it shut down Safari. Not sure if it is related to the video. Will monitor it.