PDA

View Full Version : what else could it be ?

96xj
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
OK so i replaced the oil pump , rear main seal and the oil pan gasket X2 , i messed up the first one ,
now on the 2nd oil pan gasket , filled up the oil and ran the xj for about 20 min and no leaks , on top of that i had it sitting for a week , no leaks , i drive it to work today and look under it and there is oil every where, looks like it's coming from the fly wheel , is there any thing else that could be leaking ? i checked the valve cover and it is not coming from there need help

p.s also my oil gauge as i drive is at 75 psi , is that OK ?

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 09:52 AM
OK so i replaced the oil pump , rear main seal and the oil pan gasket X2 , i messed up the first one ,
now on the 2nd oil pan gasket , filled up the oil and ran the xj for about 20 min and no leaks , on top of that i had it sitting for a week , no leaks , i drive it to work today and look under it and there is oil every where, looks like it's coming from the fly wheel , is there any thing else that could be leaking ? i checked the valve cover and it is not coming from there need help

Did you replace the "O" rings on the oil filter housing? That thing you screw the oil filter to has two bolts, you take it off and there are 3 "O" rings in there (I think). Replace them.

Were you driving 80+ mph some time before you saw the oil?

96xj
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
my MPH is about 5 MPH off so i would say the fastest i go is about 60-70MPH @ 2100-2300 RPM , and after that drive to work is when i noticed it

96xj
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Did you replace the "O" rings on the oil filter housing? That thing you screw the oil filter to has two bolts, you take it off and there are 3 "O" rings in there (I think). Replace them.

Were you driving 80+ mph some time before you saw the oil?

do you mean the oil pump, where the oil pick up tube is, inside the oil pan ?

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 10:12 AM
do you mean the oil pump, where the oil pick up tube is, inside the oil pan ?

No the piece that the oil filter screws on to. That piece comes off and there are "O" rings that seal it to the block.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Oil_Filter_Mount_O-rings/Oil_Filter_ORings1.jpg

:link: (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Oil_Filter_Mount_O-Rings.htm)

96xj
04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
No the piece that the oil filter screws on to. That piece comes off and there are "O" rings that seal it to the block.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Oil_Filter_Mount_O-rings/Oil_Filter_ORings1.jpg

:link: (http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Oil_Filter_Mount_O-Rings.htm)

is that where the oil filter screws on to ?
if so then no i guess ill check that when i get home today thanks tony

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
is that where the oil filter screws on to ?
if so then no i guess ill check that when i get home today thanks tony

Yeah, did you click on the :link:? It's a write up on how to change it. I was wrong about the two bolts, looks like it is just one.

96xj
04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
that is a good wright up , but the leak i see looks like it is coming from the rear main seal area, OK lets just say that it is coming from the oil filter housing , that would mean that it would be running down the side on the engine and down the fly wheel cover , wouldn't the oil be dirty from the engine , the oil i see is very clean

Mudderoy
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
that is a good wright up , but the leak i see looks like it is coming from the rear main seal area, OK lets just say that it is coming from the oil filter housing , that would mean that it would be running down the side on the engine and down the fly wheel cover , wouldn't the oil be dirty from the engine , the oil i see is very clean

I'm not saying that IS the problem, just what ELSE could it be.

I have read that several people have changed rear main seals only to find out it was these three little, easy to change "O" rings.

I guess clean oil would be dependent on how bad the leak was. I know that if I tried to run 80+ miles per hour with 32" tires and 3.55 gears, I had oil coming out of something. That changed after I went to the 4.56 gears.

96xj
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/96xj/tn-1.jpg
6.5 rc lift 35" tires, 3.55 gears
this is me doing 60MPH @ 1900RPM

96xj
04-30-2010, 12:53 PM
ok it is NOT the piece that the oil filter screws on to, its dirty but not wet , NEXT

Mudderoy
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
ok it is NOT the piece that the oil filter screws on to, its dirty but not wet , NEXT

I would fix it anyway. It's cheap and easy and you may be wrong.

4.3LXJ
04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Are you sure it is engine oil, or could it be tranny oil?

96xj
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
i don't think so it is coming from the rms area

rguignard
04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
wash it off real good and put some dye in it then use a black light to find the leak :thumbsup:if you were closer i could do it for you

96xj
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
are you talking about a/c die or something like that ? if so i dont think it would be good for the oil , unless there is something for oil

4.3LXJ
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
The AC dye is designed to be used in oil long term and shouldn't hurt anything. But if you just took it down to the car wash and degreased it and washed it good then let it run you should be able to pin point it in 30 minutes or less.

cantab27
04-30-2010, 11:54 PM
not coming from dipstick and blowing everywhere...mine did this not long after i done rm...just seen oil on drive and thought the worst... if not ignore my 2cent worth then lol

pvt.Tadpol xj
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I hope your repair is a simple one... The 2nd time i drove my 91 xj to Dallas , TX from home. I saw a oil puddle under mine and after a short investigation i found that my front pump seal was out.I mean tranny oil from front to rear!

Thomass
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Are you sure it is engine oil, or could it be tranny oil?

please explain the word tranny oil, i do not know this word

Thomass

pvt.Tadpol xj
05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
It's just a jeep language for Transmiision fluid. It's kinda red looking

4.3LXJ
05-02-2010, 09:54 PM
please explain the word tranny oil, i do not know this word

Thomass

Sorry Thomass. A little American slang. tranny = transmission

tcase = transfer case

u joint = universal joint

Thomass
05-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Sorry Thomass. A little American slang.
tranny = transmission
tcase = transfer case
u joint = universal joint

Never to old to learn, :thumbsup:

Thank you for the explanation

96xj
05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
how would i check that seal if it was the transmission ?

pvt.Tadpol xj
05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
If you are getting that reddish fluid. I not real sure that just anybody can make that repair. Like myself you might have to take it to a good transmission shop. And while it is being repaired it could need a new tranny mount...But give some of our Moderator's the time to reply back to you...Also you might consider going to a good auto part's and ask for a good transmission seal. It is a liqiud that you add to your transmission and it will go in there and swell your seal's it work's for a little while only..It might be good for one week or 1 day!!

96xj
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
what do you guys think about changing the tranny oil , it got 210.xxx miles and i dont know when the last time it was change and its pretty brown maybe burnt , i dont know , i was just thinking if i change the tranny oil it would be easier to tell if its the tranny seal or if i did the RMS wrong

4.3LXJ
05-03-2010, 10:33 PM
It should be changed every 50,000 mi

96xj
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
i know it should be , but i don't know when the last time the PO did it , if he ever did it , i was told that if you don't know when the last time it was done that it might be better to leave it , that it could mess up the tranny ?

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
i know it should be , but i don't know when the last time the PO did it , if he ever did it , i was told that if you don't know when the last time it was done that it might be better to leave it , that it could mess up the tranny ?

I wish you would hurry up and find the answer. It's like a mystery novel I can't put down. :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
05-04-2010, 10:10 AM

The enemy of auto trannys is dirty oil or oil that has begun to break down from heat. The old thing about heat is that it destroys the oil and then the tranny starts to wear out. All, and I mean all the clutches slip when not engaged when the engine is running. The oil is designed to provide lubrication except under extreme pressure, then it becomes sticky. If your oil is not nice and pink and slippery when between two fingers lightly and sticky when you try to slide them together when pressed hard together, then you had better change it in a hurry if you want to get that 400,000 mi tranny.

96xj
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
The enemy of auto trannys is dirty oil or oil that has begun to break down from heat. The old thing about heat is that it destroys the oil and then the tranny starts to wear out. All, and I mean all the clutches slip when not engaged when the engine is running. The oil is designed to provide lubrication except under extreme pressure, then it becomes sticky. If your oil is not nice and pink and slippery when between two fingers lightly and sticky when you try to slide them together when pressed hard together, then you had better change it in a hurry if you want to get that 400,000 mi tranny.

so are you saying to change it , even tho i don't know when the last time it was done

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
so are you saying to change it , even tho i don't know when the last time it was done

If you change it, then you will know the last time it was done. Changing it to early can't hurt. You might want to do a 50/50 to be safe though.

Thomass
05-19-2010, 06:01 AM
two weeks ago 96XJ asks :

how would i check that seal if it was the transmission ?

but I never found an answer to this question, as it is also an hot item to me cause I (my rig not me) to do lose tranny oil
(or did I overlooked it :eek:)

anybody has an answer

Thomass

4.3LXJ
05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Put your finger in the oil that comes off and look at it. Transmission fluid is usually red. You may need to smear it around a little on your finger if it is dirty. Engine oil will be black and thicker.

Thomass
05-19-2010, 06:16 AM
It is indeed transmission fluid, but now i need to know where this seal is fitted, so i can replace this part.
is there a write-up on this item ??

Thomass

4.3LXJ
05-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Thomass

The seal is on the torque converter where it goes into the transmission. You will have to pull the transmission to replace it.

Thomass
05-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Great, this is a nice job for the coming weekend, here it is promised to be nice and sunny, this will make it easier to work.
I hope I can find an seal before the weekend.
Thank you once again

Thomass

default83
05-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Great, this is a nice job for the coming weekend, here it is promised to be nice and sunny, this will make it easier to work.
I hope I can find an seal before the weekend.
Thank you once again

Thomass

just a thought, but if it is tranny fluid, is it an automatic?

could it be leaking through the radiator lines? or bad pan gasket? or could it be leaking through the TC?

Thomass
05-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes it is an automatic AW4
I did clean the bottom of the rig, and also the engine, the transmission and the transfer-cases, to determine where it might leak.
the leakage is tranny oil, and it flows out between the engine and the transmission. (I have to refill the tranny every 400km (248.5 miles) with about 50cc)
I have (to make sure) checked the places you pointed, bud they are dry.

first i was thinking that the torque converter was leaking, But if this was so, i might loose more oil than I loose now.

This weekend, will learn me more, because if I separate the tranny from the engine, I also can check the torque converter.

thank you for thinking with me

Thomass
05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
One more question, i did order a seal, but the salesperson asked me for an part number. I thought it was number 22 on the pix (red arrow) but I'm not sure.http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/tranny01.jpg

what i can order looks like this.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/KeeringuitgaandeTorqueflite.jpg

96xj
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
the weekend that just passed i did the oil pan gasket twice and it still leaks, and its not the tranny leaking , I'm guessing i messed up the rear main seal when i put it in , or i put in backwards

96xj
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
OK so after 4 oil pan gasket i decided to redo the RMS , well....... i did it and no more oil leaking, now I'm leaking trans fluid from the fly wheel , behind the cover I'm guessing cause there no oil on the front of the cover to the fly wheel nor any oil coming from the RMS area , so what em i looking at now ? what should i look for ???

96xj
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
and is there a transmission breather tube ? if so where i cant find one

96xj
06-02-2010, 12:37 PM
:wow::sign0178::toothorn: