PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

buckeyecam1
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
If I'm buying a 4.5 lift for a 98 cherokee, what else will I need. Do I need longer brake lines, control arm relocaters, pitman arm drop or anything else just to get it on the road? thanks

4.3LXJ
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
It depends on the kit. Some are more complete than others. Which one are you buying?

buckeyecam1
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Probaly going to go with the rough country lift from 4wheelingplus, not sure what the benefit of buying the whole spring pack is vs. just the add a leaf, but probaly just the add a leaf, thanks for your advice.

buckeyecam1
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Hate to be a pain, I was reading up on a rough country lift and it says that I will need to get an SYE, how bad is that needed right off hand? thanks

4.3LXJ
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
If you are going to stay at 4.5, you don't necessarily need one. They recommend one because the average guy just dosen't know how to set up a driveline. So it is easier to just do the SYE and get it over with. However I ran without one at 5" and Payless 4WD doesn't run one at 4.5" and I think Mudderoy does not either.

rockcrusher
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
With my 4.5 R/C kit they sent me transfer case drop. It works fine

JRW7072009
04-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Probaly going to go with the rough country lift from 4wheelingplus, not sure what the benefit of buying the whole spring pack is vs. just the add a leaf, but probaly just the add a leaf, thanks for your advice.

The benefit from a full spring pack vs a AAL is, the AAL is just adding an extra stiff leaf to a older more often tired leaf pack. This can cause premature failure of the stock leaf pack the AAL can cause the other leafs to fold or bend around the AAL, but really AAL's work okay for the most part.

The Full pack will give you stronger leafs and obviously they will last longer then adding the AAL. AAL can sometimes give a stiff ride too. For the money its worth buying the full pack.

Do the transfer case drop till you can buy a SYE and then you will wonder how you ever did without the SYE.

rockcrusher
05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
You will regret not going full leafs. Trust me

Mudderoy
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
You will regret not going full leafs. Trust me

I bought the AAL RC 4.5 kit because I just couldn't afford the 4.5 kit with full leaf springs. I knew full well I would be replacing the AAL with full leaves later though. I did and I feel much better about my suspension now. Honestly though I couldn't tell you I noticed any difference with the exception that it sits higher in the rear now.

troys96xj
05-16-2010, 04:54 PM
If I'm buying a 4.5 lift for a 98 cherokee, what else will I need. Do I need longer brake lines, control arm relocaters, pitman arm drop or anything else just to get it on the road? thanks

You can get rear brake hose for a 96 Dodge Dakota.Its 6in longer than the XJ hose and is a direct bolt up.Works very well.I have 5in of lift and only replace dthe rear hose,discos and steering stailizer and have had no problems .I beat the crap out of it too.Mine is a 96 though so it has hp diff.

AZXJ
05-20-2010, 12:52 AM
I have the RC 4.5 add a leaf on mine. I had a Jeep mechanic/XJ owner install it with me and he said there is no need for the SYE unless you go bigger. The only thing I notice is a little vibration at speeds over 65mph.