PDA

View Full Version : E3 Spark Plugs and the Jeep 4.0L

Mudderoy
04-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I was watching "Gearz" today with Stacey David. They were giving 6 tips to improving your fuel economy. One was using the E3 spark plugs to improve the spark and burn more of the fuel in the cylinder.

I know the conventional wisdom is that you use the cheap a$$ Champion spark plugs for the best performance. Has anyone used the E3 in the 4.0L Jeep? If so what year model, and what were your results? You may not know the mpg so just mention how it ran, how long before you had to change the E3 spark plugs, and did you go back with the E3 spark plugs.

Ruinator
04-18-2010, 06:52 PM
yes ran them with good results. Regret changing them, i will go back next time. I do wonder if E3 was a sponsor (Sorry if my bitterness show through)

Mudderoy
04-18-2010, 07:18 PM
yes ran them with good results. Regret changing them, i will go back next time. I do wonder if E3 was a sponsor (Sorry if my bitterness show through)

No I think the same way as you. The 6 things they listed on the show were...

1. Open up the air flow. K&N (which is a sponsor) was the recommended one.
2. E3 spark plugs
3. Syntethic fluids. Motor, transmission, diff, etc...
4. Reprogramming the ECU, several brands were mentioned.
5. Exhaust including high flow catalytic converter(s)
6. Headers!

I may give the E3's a try then. I'm going to see if/how much the injector swap helps the MPG then I may try the E3 next. I've wanted to do the reprogramming of the ECU for a while now, but the price was a hard sell for me.

BlueXJ
04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I tried them a couple years ago and thought it made the Jeep a slow start in cold/damp weather. Went back to the Champions for the cure.

Ruinator
04-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Ya Champions are excellent. Man I got some Bosch that were on sale, they didn't make 30 miles. Those suck! Champion VS E3? Big debate

wv jeeper
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I have always run bosch plugs and they work great? Just took the champions out of my new motor and put the Bosch plugs in it that survived the thrown rod in the old motor.

4.3LXJ
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't speak to the 4.0 because I don't have one. But I have tried them in my 4.3L Chevy. I don't like them as well as the Bosh +4 plugs. the E3s had a rougher idle, though not really all that rough, and didn't have as much power in the seat.

Mudderoy
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok digging around I found a XJ mpg write up where one of the items they installed was the "Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition kit"

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=9398.jpg

$175 from 4wd.com.

They used the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs with dual tips in their test.

You can read the test results yourself here :link: (http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/jeep/131_0403_jeep_xj_cherokee_mileage/index.html)

kmanxj
04-20-2010, 11:58 AM
my step dad put the in my moms yukon and they are gettin 5 mpg's better!!!! his brother in law put them in his denali and is getting 4.5 better. I am thinkin about trying them.

go buy some adn test em for us mud!!! ;)

Mudderoy
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
my step dad put the in my moms yukon and they are gettin 5 mpg's better!!!! his brother in law put them in his denali and is getting 4.5 better. I am thinkin about trying them.

go buy some adn test em for us mud!!! ;)

Well after that XJ mpg write up I am to. I think I'm going to check with xjtalk vendors first, as I'd rather buy from them.

muddeprived
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I put e-3's in my TJ and it didn't run right (2.5L) so I held on to them and stuck in my xj when I first bought it cuz the stock plugs had a 1-mile gap! The jeep would get the feeling of misfiring while driving. The rpms would act funny, like it wasn't getting enough fuel or something. It was strange. I ended up switching out the plugs for champions again and it ran fine.

I guess my jeeps don't like the new high tech crap lol.