PDA

View Full Version : 3" lift question

Indiana Jeep
04-16-2010, 06:29 PM
As soon as my tax refund arrives I'm planning on FINALLY getting a lift for the Jeep. I'm thinking about the Rocky Road Outfitters 3" budget lift with shocks. http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html Has anyone used this kit or have any other suggestions for a similar priced kit? I'm going to trim the fenders up some this weekend and (barring any major catastrophe) will be getting some larger tires later this summer. I know the stock tires I'm running are going to look kind of silly with a lift and fender trim but it'll do for a few weeks. Just wanted to get some input thanks :D

xjjeepthing
04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Honestly there are better kits. Blocks and shackles are bad for old springs. Blocks can cause axle wrap and that bad on the entire drive train. I would look a bit more here are few I think might work better.
Iron Rock Offorad
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_3LK
Zone Offroad
http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1
Rough Country
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html
AAL are not the perfect way to lift, but better then a block and shackle.

JeepinOutfitters
04-16-2010, 08:42 PM
There are entire threads, on other forums, stickied at the top of the site, dedicated to why you shouldn't purchase from that company.

And... that site is full of bullshit and flat out wrong information. Here are some choice quotes of crap:

"Bumpstops are 100% unecessary."

Wow, just wow... I have no words for that comment... :out:

"Our [budget boost] system adds onto your existing suspension so your ride quality is absolutely NOT diminished."

Ride quality is directly effected by the angle of your control arms, regardless of what springs and shocks you've got.

"Almost as bad as poor quality springs nowadays are some of the "long arm" kits. Most of these kits do not allow your front axle to cycle up and down in the manner it was designed, which is why they ride so spooky at highway speeds. Long arm kits are fine for vehicles trailered to the trails. If you want to keep your vehicle and passenger's safe though, stay away from this latest fad as the rotating castor on these systems makes for screwy handling and you will curse the day you wasted money on it."

Anyone with a long-arm kit will tell you it's far from spooky at highway speeds, quite the opposite in fact. As for having screwy handling... that's just :out:

"No hocus pocus parts that are unnecessary (such as control arms)."

Hmm, interesting, control arms are "hocus pocus" and unnecessary... :out:

"...Jeep engineered the Cherokee to be lifted. They knew we would be coming along craving more elevation and designed the front control arm mounting system with enough adjustability to accommodate up to 5" of lift with the stock control arms."

Really? AMC and Renault, back in the late 1970s, designed and intended the XJ to be lifted? As much as 5"? Somehow I kinda doubt that... 5" of lift on stock arms? :smiley-laughing021:

"You've just shown you're smart enough to buy manufacturer direct instead of paying-up a string of wholesale middle-men. ...And buying manufacturer direct, shows you are an intelligent Jeeper."

That's an interesting comment considering they're "wholesale middle-men" for a lot of brands. :rolleyes:

"Misinformation is perhaps the most common item found on the internet today."

Considering the above, I find this quote, from the top of one of their pages, quite ironic...

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
there are other "cheap" ways to do it.
front springs you can use f150 springs or v8 grand cherokee springs,
rear springs build a bastar_d pack out of numerous springs such as s10, dakota, or my fav k5 blazer,
deff get a set of lower control arms.
tj front brake hoses,
grand cherokee rear hose,
95 s10 rear shocks work for a 3-4" lift,

Indiana Jeep
04-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the info. I was originally going to try and do a salvage yard lift just havn't had the time or been able to find decent parts around here. Most trucks and cherokees in the yards around here have already been picked clean. I havn't even seen a Wrangler in one! And thanks for the heads up about RRO I only read their info on the 2" and 3" lifts and some of that seemed sketchy. One of the things I like best about this site is all the great info we get from people that actually use and know the equipment. Oh and thanks for the links, I'm liking the Zone lift, read through their instructions and I may be going with them. You guys are great!!

xjjeepthing
04-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Jason at JeepinOutfitters
has the Rough Country shoot him a PM
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/default.asp He is a forum supporter

JeepinOutfitters
04-17-2010, 08:27 AM
tj front brake hoses,
grand cherokee rear hose,

Actually what you'd need are YJ front brake lines. TJ front lines are the same as XJ front lines. :thumbsup:

JG-Man
04-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey guys as long as we are talking Grand Cherokee and other Jeep's interchangeable parts, which skid plate is it that fits the XJ's from stock Grand Cherokees? Is it the front cross member or the transfer case skid?
Thnx

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Actually what you'd need are YJ front brake lines. TJ front lines are the same as XJ front lines. :thumbsup:

cool thanx didnt realize that.

TeXJ
04-27-2010, 06:23 PM
cool thanx didnt realize that.

i have YJ front brake lines on mine :patriot:

JG-Man
04-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Found my notes: I read somewhere that 1993-1998 Grand Cherokees (ZJ) have a NP242 Transfer case skid plate that will fit XJs. Is that true?

troys96xj
05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Carparts.com has Rough Country 3in for $210 shipped to your door. It includes coils,adl,shocks and all hard ware. I have this kit and love it. I beat the crap out of it all the time and it never fails.

Indiana Jeep
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I ended up going with Rough country 2 in. shackles and coil spacers. Half the price of a 3 inch lift and with a little trimming I can fit the larger tires I was looking at. Once I finish some other projects I'll probably go higher with the lift. I know in the long run it would be cheaper to just get it done all at once but budget wise that's not possible right now. Thanks again to everyone for their help with this!

XJ408
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I currently running a 2 inch lift on my jeep. I planning on getting the RC 3 inch lift (AAL). Will my 2 inch shackles in the rear leaf springs cause my rear end sit higher than the front????

4.3LXJ
03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Probably

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
You'd be better off keeping the lifted shackles and maybe adding a 1" lift block on the rear. Add-a-leafs dont last long.