PDA

View Full Version : D: drive weirdness

muddeprived
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/misc/wtf.jpg

I have C: and D: drives on my harddrive (one hardrive partitioned into 2). Windows xp is installed on C:

Everytime I format and reinstall windows, it installs folders with numbers and letters in my D: drive. I can't delete these folders cuz it says files are in use or whatever. Why is XP installing these on my D: drive?

Mudderoy
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
The directories with a hex name are usually temporary folders which the
installer failed to delete...

:link: (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3918241.php)

4.3LXJ
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I checked my Windows XP virtual machine and those files are not on there. Can you select the file and do an end task on it?

muddeprived
04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I checked my Windows XP virtual machine and those files are not on there. Can you select the file and do an end task on it?

Can't do anything with the files. I tried everything I know of to get rid of them but I don't have access.

4.3LXJ
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I guess it is beyond me then.

Mudderoy
04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Can't do anything with the files. I tried everything I know of to get rid of them but I don't have access.

End Task takes actions on a process not a file.

Did you read the information at the link I put in the post?

Basically it tells you to give yourself access and delete the files.

Be very careful with this, as it is only one person's answer and it may be a wrong one.

muddeprived
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
End Task takes actions on a process not a file.

Did you read the information at the link I put in the post?

Basically it tells you to give yourself access and delete the files.

Be very careful with this, as it is only one person's answer and it may be a wrong one.

Thansk mudd, I didn't see the link. I read it over and tried safe mode but it didn't allow me to delete them. I downloaded the unlocker file and that did the trick. That's just weird though cuz those folders were all over the place and all contained "sp2" update file in them.

Mudderoy
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Thansk mudd, I didn't see the link. I read it over and tried safe mode but it didn't allow me to delete them. I downloaded the unlocker file and that did the trick. That's just weird though cuz those folders were all over the place and all contained "sp2" update file in them.

Glad it worked out for you. Next time just try right clicking on the files, go into security (I think) and give your username full permissions. You'll need to propagate that to all the sub-directorys.

Also there is a handy program for screen captures. PicPick. It runs at start up and when you press the Print Scrn button an image editor pops up and you can resize and save your screen capture. BTW ALT-Print Scrn only captures the ACTIVE window, where as Print Screen captures the ENTIRE display.

muddeprived
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Glad it worked out for you. Next time just try right clicking on the files, go into security (I think) and give your username full permissions. You'll need to propagate that to all the sub-directorys.

Also there is a handy program for screen captures. PicPick. It runs at start up and when you press the Print Scrn button an image editor pops up and you can resize and save your screen capture. BTW ALT-Print Scrn only captures the ACTIVE window, where as Print Screen captures the ENTIRE display.

That's one of the first things I did but it still wouldn't let me delete any of the folders or subfolders.

Those folders were like spartans. They fought hard and held on as long as they could....but eventually DIED by my hands (and yours assisting) :)

Indiana Jeep
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow, you know, I've never had a problem like that on my MAC :-)