PDA

View Full Version : Superwinch EPi9.0=Fail

afbond03
04-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Well after purchasing this winch a year ago and using it four times this is how it looks after yesterday:
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0345.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0346.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0347.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0348.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0349.jpg

The winch physically broke, smashed my grill, ac condenser and cracked my header panel. I wasn't being rough on the winch or using it in anyway that it wasn't designed for. I was using another vehicle as an anchor point trying to pull my self out of a snow drifted area.

I have contacted the company I bought it from as well as Superwinch, hopefully one of them is willing to rectify the problem, thought I don't have my hopes up on that happening.

So to you Superwinch owners, be careful using your Superwinch. Luckily enough nobody was close by when this happened because pieces of metal and plastic flew about 10 yards each way.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey man, sorry to see this. Hope you got out OK and didn't keep you from getting back OK. I was thinking of getting a Superwinch for my rear bumper I am working on. Were your bolts tight. Looks like they ripped right out the bottom.

afbond03
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Yea, another guy was able to get my out thankfully. Everything was tight, I just put my Synthetic line on about 2 weeks ago and checked all my bolts at that time.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-11-2010, 01:15 PM
a buddy of mine had one go down he called them directly and they sent him a brand new one. no questions asked and didnt require the other one back

Melissa
04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow, sorry to see that. Hope everything turns out good for you.

afbond03
04-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I shot a quick email this morning so I will give them a phone call tomorrow and hopefully they will take care of me. I in no way am out to bad mouth SW because the 3 times I have used it, it worked great. Hopefully they will make it right because it was worse than pulling teeth to get my wife to let me spend the money on this one, now having to ask to buy another one....mid as well shoot myself.

alwaysxj
04-11-2010, 01:35 PM
wow that sucks. i hope they do something about this for you so you are not out a winch.
glad you had some more people with you to get you out. let us know what happens.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I shot a quick email this morning so I will give them a phone call tomorrow and hopefully they will take care of me. I in no way am out to bad mouth SW because the 3 times I have used it, it worked great. Hopefully they will make it right because it was worse than pulling teeth to get my wife to let me spend the money on this one, now having to ask to buy another one....mid as well shoot myself.

Too bad about the wife. When I had mine out wheeling and my Mile Marker failed on me, she told me I needed a new winch and didn't bat an eye when I bought myself a Warn for Father's Day :rotfl2:

afbond03
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
lol, nice! Mine told me I need to find a new hobby, like collecting rocks or something.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM
lol, nice! Mine told me I need to find a new hobby, like collecting rocks or something.

As a certified pebble puppy I can tell you that there are two ways to collect rocks. Pay to dig someplace or wheel into someplace and go where the rest of the public can't. Take your pick. Also you need rock equip to do something with them.

So how do you know if you are a rock hound anyway?

You fill your pockets with marbles. Every time you see a rock you want you take out a marble and put it down and pick up the rock.

When you have lost all your marbles you are a rock hound :D

DETOURS
04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I think they'll make make good on it.

It looks as if the casting failed....is that correct?

Never seen anything like it, as a matter of fact.....it's a first on my end.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE SERIAL NUMBERS IN EMAILS!! (They'll what to track the production)

afbond03
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Yea, from what I can tell it looks like the casting is what failed. The thing pretty much twisted apart. The people I wheel with have been at it a long time and they said it was a first for them as well.
I def. have no issue running a Superwinch product so hopefully they will make good on it.
Thanks for the information on including serial numbers.
I have been in a daze since yesterday, its almost as if a family member died. I feel like without a winch I am total out of commission, though I am really not.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

oderdene
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry to see that here. Hope everything good for you.

afbond03
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Here is a picture of the mounting feet:
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/XJ98Jeep/DSC_0352.jpg
So I am guessing the one on the left failed and then cause the winch to twist and break like it did.

Mudderoy
04-11-2010, 10:25 PM
So 3 of the four anchor points were still attached after the major failure?

afbond03
04-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Yea, I had to remove three nuts and bolts to get it off and the fourth one...well yall see what happened with it.

Mudderoy
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Yea, I had to remove three nuts and bolts to get it off and the fourth one...well yall see what happened with it.

I guess I'll check mine for cracking.

afbond03
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I've spoken with Superwinch. I will be mailing it off to them for further inspection. Hopefully they will make things right. I am not one to be rough on my things and I feel that I had it mounted correctly as well. I feel as though it was one of those..."shit happens" things.

DETOURS
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
You'll get a new one back. :thumbsup:

Like any vendor/manufacturer.....they just want to analize it, inspect the casting, etc......

Mudderoy
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
You'll get a new one back. :thumbsup:

Like any vendor/manufacturer.....they just want to analize it, inspect the casting, etc......

That's all fine and good, but I wonder what they'll do about the grill and a/c condenser. Maybe I'm off base here...

afbond03
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
That's all fine and good, but I wonder what they'll do about the grill and a/c condenser. Maybe I'm off base here...

They probably won't do anything about those parts. If they do come back with...we are sending you a new one..I am going to say..can I get one with synthetic rope to compensate for my grill and ac condenser. They probably won't bite but it'll be worth a try. I already have sourced an ac condenser and grills on eBay seem to be around $75 so I am not going to complain to much about those items right now.

Mudderoy
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
They probably won't do anything about those parts. If they do come back with...we are sending you a new one..I am going to say..can I get one with synthetic rope to compensate for my grill and ac condenser. They probably won't bite but it'll be worth a try. I already have sourced an ac condenser and grills on eBay seem to be around $75 so I am not going to complain to much about those items right now.

Yeah I know the grills aren't that expensive, but the A/C condenser plus the cost of having the system charged. I understand that our rigs aren't used for typical day to day driving, but I don't expect my winch to break lose and damage my Jeep either.

DETOURS
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Doubt they'll even offer to kick in fix it.........if they did, they'll set themselves up for all sorts of problems.

Argue if you must..........:popcorn:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-18-2010, 11:35 AM
if it will fit i have a condensor off of a 90 you can have. you pay shipping. its just sittin in my storage if i havent tossed it yet. i dont think i have.

afbond03
04-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the offer W.O.R.P. Luckily enough though one of the guys in our Jeep club has one that he said I can have.

I might just end up doing OBA with the AC though. Wife says in another year I should be able to buy a truck so I am thinking if I can go one summer without AC I might just do it.

BlueXJ
04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
You heard back from Superwinch yet? Are they shipping a new winch?

TeXJ
04-27-2010, 06:30 PM
updates? on this

afbond03
04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Sorry guys, no updates. Def. will post up when I hear something.