PDA

View Full Version : oil press prob.

bassackwards
04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
when my temp gage gets over 210 my oil press gage goes down to 20 and jeep starts smoking. when i hit the gas press goes up to normal than back down at idle. when jeep is cool or just driving no smoke only when it gets hot. any ideas?

firehawk
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
when my temp gage gets over 210 my oil press gage goes down to 20 and jeep starts smoking. when i hit the gas press goes up to normal than back down at idle. when jeep is cool or just driving no smoke only when it gets hot. any ideas?

How far over 210* does it get? Mine will run a needles width over 210* when the A/C is on on a hot day. No smoke though. Other than that it always runs a needles width under 210*.

Again on a hot day after driving it will idle at 20# of oil pressure, but anything over idle it goes right back up to 45-50# of oil pressure.

As far as the smoke thing, sounds like you have an oil leak somewhere. The back of the valve cover is a known problem area as is the oil filter adapter ( which is leaking on mine). :thumbdown: Or maybe the rear main. I replaced the valve cover gasket on mine and while it never smoked, I could smell burning oil. It was running down the back of the head/block and getting on the exhaust.

bassackwards
04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
mine will get to about 220 im guessing before the elec fan cools it down. runs just under 210 normally

96xj
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
do you have oil in your coolant ? "Radiator"