PDA

View Full Version : Flex Fan"s / Do they help any.?

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Boy I am just full of Question's today...I am running all factory/OEM cooling system. I have been thinking about a flex fan. I was wondering if any of you guy's or gal's ever had any sucess with just bolting on a flex fan. I guess i am asking did ti help you run any cooler.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
there is a bad down side to a metal flex fan and wheeling. if it gets into the radiator while flexin out your radiator is trashed and alot of times the fan too.

4.3LXJ
04-05-2010, 08:21 PM
The flex fan works well when idling, but when the engine revs the blades flatten out and you don't get as much air as you might like. Personally, I would take out the fan clutch and run it direct. That would work well and always has.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Hey 4.3.. Are you saying remove the clutch and install a spacer to the steel fan.?:cool:

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Yup. Old school, but it will draw more air in and cool better.

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 09:25 AM
The flex fan works well when idling, but when the engine revs the blades flatten out and you don't get as much air as you might like. Personally, I would take out the fan clutch and run it direct. That would work well and always has.

What size spacer? I guess I could just measure the width of the clutch.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, measure it and get a spacer that size

One more thought Muddy, your current heating problems came when after you put your winch on. It does restrict air flow in that position. Ask me how I know. Getting rid of the clutch may tip the balance back in your favor.

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, measure it and get a spacer that size

One more thought Muddy, your current heating problems came when after you put your winch on. It does restrict air flow in that position. Ask me how I know. Getting rid of the clutch may tip the balance back in your favor.

It's actually doing fine, I just don't like it above the hair before 210. It was running well below 210 all winter and now that it's getting into the 80's here it has been running a hair above 210 after I dog it and sitting in traffic. Once I get moving it drops back down to 210.

Right now I'm working on a cowl induction hood scoop. I've been looking at the full hood, but 4wd.com sells it for $427. I ain't paying that much for a sticking hood. I found a cowl induction scoop for $80. It's made of steel. I just need to measure my hood and make sure it's a good size.

I'll use the cowl induction scoop to get the hot air out from under the hood.

My main concern is the summer when we are around 100 degrees out.

96xj
04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
but is the stock fan able to Handel the hi rpms ? "4000" is a lot

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Shouldn't be a problem

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey everybody thank you for your input.. I tried stuffing a towel into my hood scoop this morning to help add a little extra heat today i thought the heat would engage my clutch fan a little better . It worked like a charm most of the day . But i should have removed it on my way home today because it jumed up there again around 215 216.. if i had removed the towel everything under the hood would have been a little cooler.I am going to try out 4.3's xj advice and remove my clutch. And i measured and got 1&1/4 distance so 1.inch will do fine for a spacer I am going to install that then try keeping my cowl open..If this work's out I could reinstall my clutch in the winter..If this will not cool good enough i can wire up my auxillary fan inside the cab for a little back-up when needed...:cool:

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey everybody thank you for your input.. I tried stuffing a towel into my hood scoop this morning to help add a little extra heat today i thought the heat would engage my clutch fan a little better . It worked like a charm most of the day . But i should have removed it on my way home today because it jumed up there again around 215 216.. if i had removed the towel everything under the hood would have been a little cooler.I am going to try out 4.3's xj advice and remove my clutch. And i measured and got 1&1/4 distance so 1.inch will do fine for a spacer I am going to install that then try keeping my cowl open..If this work's out I could reinstall my clutch in the winter..If this will not cool good enough i can wire up my auxillary fan inside the cab for a little back-up when needed...:cool:

What about a little door that will open and close via an electrical connection.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-07-2010, 03:58 AM
I thought about that to Muddy!.. you know there is going to be some kind of issue with running this cowl with the change's of the season's. I may have to cross those bridge's when i get there. But i know one thing before i put the cowl on the heat under my hood was pretty bad, and it was my opinion the heat was affecting the operation of several item's under my hood.Yesterday I had stated I was going to remove my clutch from my fan, and install a spacer to my factory steel fan,I have changed my mind. I am first going to try a 185. degree thermo. and run my cowl open,And proably go ahead and run my auxillary fan to a toggle inside the cab. With everything on my cooling system being OEM/Factory i think this is best.

Mudderoy
04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
I thought about that to Muddy!.. you know there is going to be some kind of issue with running this cowl with the change's of the season's. I may have to cross those bridge's when i get there. But i know one thing before i put the cowl on the heat under my hood was pretty bad, and it was my opinion the heat was affecting the operation of several item's under my hood.Yesterday I had stated I was going to remove my clutch from my fan, and install a spacer to my factory steel fan,I have changed my mind. I am first going to try a 185. degree thermo. and run my cowl open,And proably go ahead and run my auxillary fan to a toggle inside the cab. With everything on my cooling system being OEM/Factory i think this is best.

You might just want to ditch that mechanical fan and replace it with an electric. I was going to do that then I got to thinking about how my 4.0 runs hot at highway speeds. I figured it doesn't matter how many fans I put under there it was the heat being trapped in the engine bay that I needed to get rid of, so hence the push for a cowl induction scoop.

4.3LXJ
04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
You might just want to ditch that mechanical fan and replace it with an electric. I was going to do that then I got to thinking about how my 4.0 runs hot at highway speeds. I figured it doesn't matter how many fans I put under there it was the heat being trapped in the engine bay that I needed to get rid of, so hence the push for a cowl induction scoop.

That is why I swiss cheesed my own hood. With hood removed I don't have any problems. So it ends up being an air flow issue.

Mudderoy
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
That is why I swiss cheesed my own hood. With hood removed I don't have any problems. So it ends up being an air flow issue.

Actually I was thinking that those fans you have mounted on the hood might act as a air block when they are turned off. Assuming they wouldn't turn, like locked in place. Might be a neat way to control the airflow under the hood. I would want a scoop over mine, but I would be tempted to leave them out in the open like yours. It has a mad scientist sort of look to it. :smiley-scared002:

4.3LXJ
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Actually I was thinking that those fans you have mounted on the hood might act as a air block when they are turned off. Assuming they wouldn't turn, like locked in place. Might be a neat way to control the airflow under the hood. I would want a scoop over mine, but I would be tempted to leave them out in the open like yours. It has a mad scientist sort of look to it. :smiley-scared002:

Mad maybe, some might question the scientist part. It is amazing to me how much comes out of them. They generate quite an air flow just from getting rid of heat and act as a vent in their own right. Of course the real test will come in the 100*+ weather with the AC on going up the hill to Paradise. That is always what got me before.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey you jeeper's.. This is what i did today about the unexpected overheating. I replaced the thermo. from chrysler 195...degree to a new 195..failsafe from local auto part's. I saw a improvement immediatley..While i was at it and knowing that summer is on the way i installed a adjustable thermo controlled relay unit over to my auxillary fan. So turn's out i am still 95% OEM/factory but with my cowl piece i think i will be O.K... I am a little confused about the chrysler/Mopar 195..degree thermo going out so fast it was only six month's old...Thank You to everybody.. If i can figure out how to use photo bucket i will get some pic's.:driving:

TheWeiss
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
I've got to say, I did an Ebay Electric fan upgrade and it sucked. Then, luckily, I got a leak in my radiator and replaced it with an all metal 3 core rad and it is amazing. I would say that the rad replacement alone is enough to get a handle on your heat.

Mudderoy
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I've got to say, I did an Ebay Electric fan upgrade and it sucked. Then, luckily, I got a leak in my radiator and replaced it with an all metal 3 core rad and it is amazing. I would say that the rad replacement alone is enough to get a handle on your heat.

3 core all metal radiator was NOT the final solution to my running hot issue.